Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni 3/4 shock question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Koni 3/4 shock question

Hey guys I just got my Konis in. I am not sure how to adjust the front and rear shocks. When I take the black cover down it exposes the metal ball bearing that I am suppose to push to adjust the shocks, but when I hold it down I feel like I can only adjust to one sweep then it locks.
My 2nd question is that how does the lower perch point work with the front shocks. I am not sure where the 3/4 of inch will be gained from. I am alittle confused. Can't wait to get these shcoks on!
Thanks for you help!
Old 01-18-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best person to ask that to is Sam Strano. Find him on here and Im sure he can walk you through it.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jwright41
Best person to ask that to is Sam Strano. Find him on here and Im sure he can walk you through it.
If he bought the shocks from Sam, then yeah that's the no brainer. Otherwise Sam is not everyone's go to guy when you didn't buy parts from him.

How would you feel to be expected to give out professional advice for free? I wouldn't.

To the OP:

There is no sleeve to pull down to adjust the fronts. If it 'locks' then you have maxed out the adjuster to one side (either full stiff or full soft). Don't go any further or you'll ruin the shock adjuster.

The lower perch just slides up and down. There are 2 grooves in the yellow shock body. There is a clip you remove (obviously this has to be done w/ no spring on the shock and off of the car) and you adjust the perch to the upper or lower position and re-insert the clip to hold the perch.

Use the search function. Any question you have has already been answered and the information is all out there. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm completely happy to run all customers *my customers* over the details and setup of the shocks. But I can't just be everyone's answer man, doesn't pay the bills.... I can't do free product support for fun I do have a business to run. The give/take is customers buy parts from me, and in exchange I give them information that others cannot.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I got it from Sam. I understand how to adjust the firmness of shock but still not sure about the lower perch. Thanx for your help guys. I will check it out once I get home.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Just call me... I'll tell you whatever you want to know!!!!

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-18-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

hey sam, your site is acting up again :p
Old 01-18-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
If he bought the shocks from Sam, then yeah that's the no brainer. Otherwise Sam is not everyone's go to guy when you didn't buy parts from him.

How would you feel to be expected to give out professional advice for free? I wouldn't.

To the OP:

There is no sleeve to pull down to adjust the fronts. If it 'locks' then you have maxed out the adjuster to one side (either full stiff or full soft). Don't go any further or you'll ruin the shock adjuster.

The lower perch just slides up and down. There are 2 grooves in the yellow shock body. There is a clip you remove (obviously this has to be done w/ no spring on the shock and off of the car) and you adjust the perch to the upper or lower position and re-insert the clip to hold the perch.

Use the search function. Any question you have has already been answered and the information is all out there. Good luck.
I understand that he has a business to run and to help the people that buy stuff from him.

And I give out expert advice day in and day out in my line of work without wanting anything in return. Doesnt bother me helping out someone as long as they pass on the knowledge or learn something from it hence the use of a forum.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Never used to bother me either, until I found out folks were taking my advice and recommendations and buying their stuff from others based on it. Nobody likes doing work that someone else reaps the benefits of.... It's like training someone to do a job, and that person was hired to take your job--the very one you trained them for.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Never used to bother me either, until I found out folks were taking my advice and recommendations and buying their stuff from others based on it. Nobody likes doing work that someone else reaps the benefits of.... It's like training someone to do a job, and that person was hired to take your job--the very one you trained them for.
Sam, I half agree with you...I'm an engineer, and I spend a LOT of time training my customers how to use the machinery they buy from us...when I find an employee at that company who is unwilling to work WITH the other people he works with, because they're younger...I get offended and spend more time with the others who are willing to help their co-workers...in that situation...if you're the employee, and you want to keep your job...you should ALWAYS work hard and strive to be better than you are at what you do...you should take that "training the new guy" as an opportunity to demonstrate that you are capable of doing more, and that you deserve a promotion...and that way the person you're training can HAVE your job so you can move up...I've always taken that approach with work, and it's worked out well for me...the last job I had, I was asked to stay for 5 weeks (before moving to a sister company) instead of 2 in order to help find and train my replacement...and that way when I left, I burned NO bridges, and they still ask me if I will come back and work for them again some day in some higher capacity...it's not very often you find someone who in the midst of this horribly destructive economy, was able to move to a new (sister) company and take a 10% salary increase while others were taking pay cuts and struggling to keep their jobs within the same company...but that mindset I described, is what gets you there.

In YOUR situation, it is different, you're paying the bills selling performance parts to an audience of people who want everything for free because they think that posting on a forum makes them part of some imaginary car based community...as I said to you in a PM a while back, I got my 4/4 Koni's as a present from someone who knew I was saving for them, and they didn't come from you, and as a result, I've never asked you how to set them up...because I DO feel that you are justified in your stance on providing your help to your customers, and I do respect you for that choice...I just don't feel it's comparable to the guy standing on an assembly line acting like a dick because he doesn't want to help the younger guy learn what to do because he'll then probably lose his job because in the time he's been there, he hasn't done squat to better himself and strive for more from his employer.

Last edited by Mike454SS; 01-18-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh I know what you mean Sam. I was just trying to help a guy on here seeing how you know more about this stuff and everyone talks about your work. Just wanted to give him a legit source to get information from instead of someone else that didnt know about them.

Quick Reply: Koni 3/4 shock question