Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Coilover Suspension Setups...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Coilover Suspension Setups...

Sorry If This Is A Repost, I Tried A Search And Didn't Come Up With Anything.
I Was Wondering If Some Of You Guys With A Coilover Setup Could Post Up Some Pics. I Like This One Done By Promod1955, Anyone Else Have Something Similar???
Attached Thumbnails Coilover Suspension Setups...-pics079.jpg  
Old 01-21-2010, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are running a fuel cell, that rig looks nice (no gas tank).

LG Motorsports offers a rear coil-over package that uses the factory shock mounts.

Lots of discussion about whether the upper shock mount is sufficiently strong enough to handle this loading. I had a road race Camaro come through my shop for a new cage last month that had LG's coil-overs on it for several years.

I saw no indication of the mount deforming.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I've Heard A Few Bad Things About Them Too But Mostly Just Good. The Gas Tank Was My Only Dislike With That Setup As Well So I May Check Out The Kit That LGM Has To Offer. Thanks
Old 01-22-2010, 01:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't get what the obsession is with the rear springs being over the shocks.... I went to the Detroit Auto Show, there was a cut away of a Lexus LFA, you know the $375k supercar..... the rear suspension: Springs on weight jackers, and shocks separate (aluminum bodied, remote/piggyback aluminum shocks too). The fact is mounting the springs over the shocks in the rear does nothing to help, just makes spring changes more of a pain in the *** IMHO.

I am also a believer in adjustable dampers, as are most folks who want to have some control over the way the car behaves. There are coil-overs out there that have no damping adjustment, which means no ability to change the response, roll and pitch rate, or set rate (how fast thing settle down) of the car. Hell, even many high end street cars use adjustable dampers to make them drive better. The ZR1 is a better handling car than a Z06 because the use of adjustable dampers allows better control and less need for as stiff springs which makes the car easier to driver fast. Read any article about C6's, they all find the ZR1 much easier to deal with despite the extra 135 hp.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-22-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Correct Me If I'm Wrong But Doesn't The LGM Coilovers Allow You To Change The Spring Rates? I'm Not A Suspension Guru By Any Means. So Explain The Difference In Changing The Spring Rates And Adjustable Dampers.

Last edited by InsaneDomestics; 01-22-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

But you can't adjust the shock forces, the damping. QA1's let you set your height and change springs too, all "coil-overs" do..... but the G2 stuff has no damping adjustment and they seem to be one of the few in the world that think adjustment is bad to have.

Damping are shock forces. Springs are spring rate. Springs control how much the car leans of pitches, shocks control how fast that stuff happens and how quickly the car reacts to inputs and takes a set.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-22-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah I See. Thanks... Learn Something New Everyday
Old 01-23-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I am also a believer in adjustable dampers, as are most folks who want to have some control over the way the car behaves. There are coil-overs out there that have no damping adjustment, which means no ability to change the response, roll and pitch rate, or set rate (how fast thing settle down) of the car. Hell, even many high end street cars use adjustable dampers to make them drive better. The ZR1 is a better handling car than a Z06 IN PART because the use of adjustable dampers allows better control and less need for as stiff springs which makes the car easier to driver fast. Read any article about C6's, they all find the ZR1 much easier to deal with despite the extra 135 hp.
fixed
Old 01-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Banned

i got the strange rear coil over kit. it looks great. also i did it to clean up my *** end. Sam will call that stupid. i call it my car.

mine has the ability to adjust the dampers. they will work fine for my street car.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And many feel stock shocks work just fine too. Others think a V-6 is just fine. Some think a bolt-on LS1 is just fine. Get my point? Just fine is relative to your experience and demands.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Banned

i understand you just fine comment. so like i said. they will work fine on my car.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at doing the same thing to my 93, the car came with ladder bars laying in it and the mini tubs were started when I got the car.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

ITS NEVER JUST FINE!!! Theres always room for improvement IMO!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AChotrod
ITS NEVER JUST FINE!!! Theres always room for improvement IMO!
very good point. i got single adjust. i guess next step would be double adjust.

or maybe AFCO.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I need to know, why would the "next step" be double adjustable? Don't tell me because two adjustment is better than one. Tell me what compression adjustment controls and why being able to change it would be better for you.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned

if i learned right. the double. allows me to adjust the compression and the rebound differently.

is that right?
Old 01-29-2010, 03:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I think that sums it up...... I asked you why you'd want to change compression because I wanted to see what the answer was. I'm sorry, but knowing you *can* change compression and rebound independently on some shocks does not mean you know how it actually works and what change it makes to how the car works. Now I get why you think they are just fine, you really don't know how shocks work. That's ok, a lot of folks don't. And you don't have to even really know to benefit from good ones.

The issue I have here is that you, again, stand up and proclaim you have the answer---but really have no background to base your claims upon. I've had a lot of customers think something was "fine" right up until they found out it wasn't.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Banned

Sam,

we do this way to much. i didnt stand up and proclaim to have the answer. i said this "i got the strange rear coil over kit. it looks great. also i did it to clean up my *** end. Sam will call that stupid. i call it my car.

mine has the ability to adjust the dampers. they will work fine for my street car."

i never said that is was a answer for everyone. i said for my car it will work. and unless you can tell me a good rear coil over. then we will never agree. i understand your concern with the mounting of the top part of the shock. but that i know of. no one has ever had that rip out. and besides. adding the plate that spohn sells up there will help.

so can you tell me a good rear coil over that will clean up the *** end of our cars?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a drag set up you might want to be able to control how fast the front end rises(rebound). This affects weight transfer to the rear tires and how much force is applied, and for how long. Then the front end must come back down so again we control how fast it does (compression). We do this so we don't unload the tires. We also use travel limiters on the front end to help the shocks and springs. On a road race car we might want to help with brake dive on the front. Tire unloading when cornering, to stabilize the car when accelerating. (limit front end rise)
Old 02-01-2010, 02:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Finally, the reason (which I knew, wanted to see who else did). Here's the catch. Compression damping is NOT spring rate, it's there to control unsprung weight, not sprung weight (which the body is when it's coming back down). It's a crutch on a drag car to soften the hit when the car does a wheelstand. Works, and works only because a drag car is pretty much dedicated only to going straight, ride and handling be damned.

The thing is a street car that is drag raced is not a drag car... it's a street car, that is drag raced. There are certain compromises you can make to help it do both.

My underlying point was simply that it's not at all uncommon for self-proclaimed experts, of the internet variety, to make statements that indicate something is good, or fine, or great, whatever, based on not much than an opinion that isn't based on very solid ground.

Quick Reply: Coilover Suspension Setups...