Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

KYB AGX vs Tokico Illuimina Shocks for Street/Strip setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB AGX vs Tokico Illuimina Shocks for Street/Strip setup

Alright guys I'm looking into upgrading to better shocks for mostly street drving, but I also wanna be able to take the car down to the 1/4mile drag strip a few weekend nights in the summer.

I understand HAL/AFCO/Strange would be my best choices for a drag shock and Billstein would be a good choice for a non-adjustable street shock.

I wanted something that can do a little of both, so I've got it narrowed down to these two adjustables: KYB AGX and Tokico Illumina.

Any input from anyone who has used these shocks would be appreciated.

Also, I've heard the AGX's are really fixed compression with adjustment only on rebound, which if this is the case I'll buy the Tokicos. Anyone know if this is true?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

If it were me I would grab some Stranges or QA1's. Run a stock spring in the rear (cut a coil or so off if you wish) and run a Strange or QA1 325lb. front spring and you will have something that you can adjust to daily drive well and something that will also transfer weight really well when adjusted accordingly. Just my .02
Old 01-25-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

I know QA-1 and Strange make really good race shocks, but I've also heard that their not the most street friendly products out there from a few people. And on top of that I really don't have that kind of money to spend here, as high quality as they are.

As for the cutting of my rear springs, that's not gonna happen. Around here the only people cutting coils off their rear springs are the dipshits that belong to 'certain minority groups' cruising around in their 1996ish Ford Tauruses with bubbly window tint blasting some worthless gangster rap bullshit.

I'm really just looking for opinions from people who have had experience with the AGX's and Illuminas, maybe even Konis, though I really do appreciate your input.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^oh lord^^^

but I do agree, I'm not a fan of cutting coils.

You mentioned that the KYB is only for rebound. That is correct, however does this mean the Tokico is double adjustable?

If you plan on lowering the car, be aware that the KYB isn't intended for more than a 1.5" drop.

I've had Koni Yellows single adjustable and they are a blast, plus they're rebuildable if you want. They're infinitely adjustable, not just 8 settings and they are the most versatile, yet affordable shock.

I'm into turning too, so that's why I decided to go that route, like I said it's the most versatile shock.

I think the Tokico is a better shock than the KYB AGx.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Torque_Fiend, my vocab could be a little bit off but I was under the impression that double adjustable means you can adjust compression and rebound independently and that single adjustable means compression and rebound are adjusted simultaneously.

Thanks for clarifying about the adjustability on the KYBs, now I'm definately leaning towards the Tokicos.

It'll be nice to have to adjustables, I'll be able to tighten them up for cornering when I need to. Correct me if I'm wrong but they should be good for drag racing too right? From what I've read for good launching, you want firm rear compression to keep the car from squatting too much. Not sure about the rear rebound but I'm assuming its not supposed to be firm hence why HAL/Strange/AFCO all make double adjustable rear shocks, so hopefully the rebound firmness off the Tokicos won't hurt me too much.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Forgot to mention, I'm gonna check on the prices of the Koni yellows and if the price is good I'll atleast keep them in mind, too.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:21 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Moving this over to the Suspension section so that you can get more opinions on this. The Koni's are the best, but they do come with a pricetag

Jason
Old 01-25-2010, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im saving for Konis..

Im in the same boat with you

I want to lower my car..and enjoy ride quallity and what what not..then take it down the track and make good times..

QA1s and Strange Coil overs..Feel horriable on the street. Iv been searching about this for months..I was told by Sam Strano pretty much...find a buddy or someone and go for a ride..And then make a choice..

The QA1s are ruff even if you play with ajdustments. The car doesnt feel like its connected to the ground at all..If it was a race car..yes all the way..but I enjoy driving it and would reather have comfort ya know..

Another one..A guy switched out his Coil overs for a Koni/strano package..He hated how the car felt..then..took it to the track and on his street setting I think Sam said he cut like a high 1.5 or low 1.6 60ft time..it was a BEST time for his car on his street settings..It was like almost a full 10th off wht he had done AND STILL rides aswome..

Save up for the Konis..
Old 01-25-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, but Tokico doesn't have and Illumina shocks for the 4th Gen., only the 3rd Gen.., but you can use the 3rd Gen. rear shocks on the 4th Gen.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Most Single Adjustable(SA) street shocks are only adjust the rebound, for a really good street shock to be also really good for drag racing you would need a Double Adjustable (DA) so you could adjust the compression dampening also. So unless you have the $$$$ for a set of Koni DA's any choice you make involves a compromise.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

The above is correct, rear only Illumina's no front for a 4th gen. BOTH shocks adjust bump and rebound together. Tokico has 5 settings (rear only, fronts are non adjustable), AGX's have 8.

I am not a huge fan of either, but would give AGX's the nod here simply because you can get a matched set for the front as well, and do no find the Tokico's to work any better in the rear.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you very much to everyone who's posted, I've got the information I was looking for.

Now its just a matter of deciding to wait and save till I can afford the Koni yellows or just picking up a set of KYB or Tokicos soon.

I did know that you can't get Illuminas for the front but I wasn't too worried about it. The nonadjustable Tokicos still offer a fairly firm compression and rebound up front so I should be able to adjust/match the rears with them alright-- plus it'll cost less than getting AGX's all around. For me the adjustablity would really only be needed out back for drag racing anyways.

On the other hand, I did have KYB AGX's on my old cavalier (9 years ago when I was a highschool semi-ricer), during the Fast and Furious era. I really did like how they rode, but mine fore some reason were rebound adjustable only. But now since I know the ones for the F-bodies adjust rebound and compression simultaneously, I might spend a few extra bucks and buy another set.

But again thanks everyone for your input-- I don't have a decision but the important part is that I have the knowledge. I think I'm gonna sit on this for a month or so before I completely decide what I want to buy.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Tokico's are known for better quality than the AGX's. Personally, I'd go with 3rd gen Koni rears as they are fantastic but harder to adjust.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

All AGX's link compression and rebound... All of them it's inherent in their adjuster design.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: KYB AGX vs Tokico Illuimina Shocks for Street/Strip setup