Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

did i kill brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did i kill brakes?

i hit a curb and when i was changing the rim/tire i was turning the rotor and it was sounding like metal rubbing together. pads are OK...could i have bent the rotor or something? whats a good break set that wont kill the bank? work is slow right now
Old 01-28-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You hit a curb? I would be checking for other signs of damage. I wouldn't go into it only thinking I damaged the brakes.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bwilde86
i hit a curb and when i was changing the rim/tire i was turning the rotor and it was sounding like metal rubbing together. pads are OK...could i have bent the rotor or something? whats a good break set that wont kill the bank? work is slow right now
Considering over torquing your lug nuts can cause the rotor to bend, I would say its a possibility. The only way to know for sure would be to measure the rotor runout with a dial indicator.

As far as a cheap replacement set, see my sig
Old 01-28-2010, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

The sound your hearing is most likely the pad riding along the surface of the rotor.and if the rotors are warped due to use/overheating this sound can be more pronounced. But even in a new pad new rotor set up the pad rides along the rotor enough to be heard when you spin the rotor by hand. As long as its moving with minimal effort and doesn't feel like its hanging up in spots your fine. I'd be more worried about the wheel.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

already bought a new wheel and new tire. the lip of the rim cracked off. My friend suggested warped rotor. i just assumed i would have heard it before now. thanks for the help!
Old 01-29-2010, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

i would get the wheel and tire on and go from there. since you focused on that particular area of the car more than usual at this time due to what happened you're bound to notice some things that you normally wouldn't. like that particular noise. Can you hear it driving? Is the rotor getting hung up in certain spots when you spin it by hand? if so id replace the rotors and while you at it do pads. if the rotors is that bad you may feel it in the brake peddle as pulsation. But as for now id say if your anything like me when something happens to your car you tend to question any little thing that you most likely never or wouldnt have noticed had nothing happened in the first place.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:58 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 20ws601
The sound your hearing is most likely the pad riding along the surface of the rotor.and if the rotors are warped due to use/overheating this sound can be more pronounced. But even in a new pad new rotor set up the pad rides along the rotor enough to be heard when you spin the rotor by hand.
Only way to know for sure is to measure the runout.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 20ws601
i would get the wheel and tire on and go from there. since you focused on that particular area of the car more than usual at this time due to what happened you're bound to notice some things that you normally wouldn't. like that particular noise. Can you hear it driving? Is the rotor getting hung up in certain spots when you spin it by hand? if so id replace the rotors and while you at it do pads. if the rotors is that bad you may feel it in the brake peddle as pulsation. But as for now id say if your anything like me when something happens to your car you tend to question any little thing that you most likely never or wouldnt have noticed had nothing happened in the first place.
yeah i just bought the car in june. I like being a hands on with stuff i do. never had a car i was excited about until this one but have done basics like oil changes, brakes, muffler and stuff like that on older cars ive owned. i just love this car and get paranoid if something seems wrong. i am buying new rotors and pads from brakemotive. people seem to like the product and he seems like a great guy to deal with. still working on the car now though. waiting for my new tire and rim to be ready and will be doing brakes this weekend. january weather in chicago isnt the time to test drive the car anyway. so i have time as its just sitting in the garage with my hands on the keys waiting for a nice day to go out for a drive.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Yea bro I hear ya.just picked up 5 or 6 inches of the white **** today. I'm freakin tired of winter tho its better than the 30 we had back in december. I'm sure with the wheel and brakes you will be good to go. Just remember some sound between pad and rotor is normal. Good luck!