Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is there a front brake upgrade that still fits inside Prostars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a front brake upgrade that still fits inside Prostars?

i currently have y2k's for street use, but i do roll on my prostars for weeks at a time, i love the way the 'stars look but the handling of the y2k's is addicting. i want to upgrade my brakes, my car does see 140mph+ occasionally, i tend to drive fast in generall, and givin the opportunity on a curvy road or road course will not hesitate to drive the ***** off the ol' girl.

is there an upgrade, other than replacement oe style/size rotors, that will fit behind the Prostars? i searched for c5 stuff but all i found were ctsv/c6 kits and i already know those wont work. i do have 5/16 spacers i run normally with the 'stars, and also have 1 inch spacers i can use if i have to
Old 02-18-2010, 07:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
i currently have y2k's for street use, but i do roll on my prostars for weeks at a time, i love the way the 'stars look but the handling of the y2k's is addicting. i want to upgrade my brakes, my car does see 140mph+ occasionally, i tend to drive fast in generall, and givin the opportunity on a curvy road or road course will not hesitate to drive the ***** off the ol' girl.

is there an upgrade, other than replacement oe style/size rotors, that will fit behind the Prostars? i searched for c5 stuff but all i found were ctsv/c6 kits and i already know those wont work. i do have 5/16 spacers i run normally with the 'stars, and also have 1 inch spacers i can use if i have to
Are they 16's? I doubt you'll be able to fit anything larger in there. There is plenty you can do with you stock system to improve it's performance. Cross-drilled rotors, new pads and fresh fluid is a start.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brakemotive
Are they 16's? I doubt you'll be able to fit anything larger in there. There is plenty you can do with you stock system to improve it's performance. Cross-drilled rotors, new pads and fresh fluid is a start.
15's, and im running them with a 5/16" spacer and ground down the calipers a little to fit. guess ill have to go with OE replacements that are CD and slotted
Old 02-22-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

run a strange or aerospace drag brake kit will fit and stop better also did i mention alot lighter but you will need to change the rotors alot more they end to crack doing heavy street driving
Old 02-22-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

None of the brake upgrades available will fit inside anything smaller than 17" wheels, never mind 15" ones. The stock brakes barely fit inside those.

However, you can get Corvette calipers (C5, 97-04) and use them with the stock rotors, they are pressure cast instead of gravity cast, which makes them more rigid and less likely to be "spread".

My suggestion would be to get C5 calipers, Hawk pads, and some good quality rotors. Thats the best you're going to do with the 15" wheel limitations.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

how much were you looking to spend?

this kit claims to fit under a min rec rim of 15"

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-140-10787/
Old 02-28-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock calipers with good pads (Hawk?) and good rotors, coupled with fresh fluid and maybe even stainless lines will make a big impact on your braking
Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

run a 16x4 in the front and you can fit willwoods 13in set up behind it. or the 17in weld race star's
Old 03-04-2010, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Stock calipers with good pads (Hawk?) and good rotors, coupled with fresh fluid and maybe even stainless lines will make a big impact on your braking
the stainless braided lines made a HUGE difference when i put them on my CBR600, Im thinking about that now, maybe go with C5 calipers-stainless lines-and some cd&s factory size rotors. all together i think that would suit me just fine

ps this is my DD and i tend to drive the **** out of it pretty regularly so drag brakes are not an option.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you're going to be hot-lapping or anything like that, the stock calipers will probably do just fine if you want to save some money. The clamping force of the two (stock vs. C5) are pretty even. From what I remember, the C5 caliper shines more when you're on it a lot

Quick Reply: Is there a front brake upgrade that still fits inside Prostars?