Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brakes question

Well, my car's brakes are absolutely aweful, very soggy and have to be pressed almost all the way in for the car to brake. So, i figured i would go a step ahead and order me a set of ceramic brakes and drilled and slotted rotors (since my stock rotors appear a little rusty and dull looking)

I just received them today and was wondering if the job could be performed in a garage or would it just be more better to replace all of that at a shop...

My question, was it hard for you guys to replace them?? Any issues i might run into?

Also, will there be any improvement with drilled and slotted rotors in braking over an OEM setup?

Thanx guys.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:45 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Before you even get into replacing rotors and pads, you need to figure out why your pedal feels soggy and goes all the way down to the floor; even the worst braking system in the world shouldn't feel that way. Stock brakes on an F body aren't great but they're not THAT bad either. When was the last time you had your fluid replaced? Brake fluid is one maintenance item that alot of people miss when it comes to caring for their cars. Over time, brake fluid deteriorates just like any other car fluid; it may even slowly gather water which I'm not absolutey sure of, and it can greatly affect how your brakes work and pedal feels.

In regards to drilled/slotted rotors, alot of people are divided on this issue. Some say it's overkill on a street car, others say there's no advantage to them, on and on and on. I believe this debate went on in the Road Racing section of this site. But most importantly, find out why your brakes are spongy and going to the floor.

In regards to how hard it is to do brake jobs, you can do them in your driveway with the right tools...
Old 05-03-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanx myk for answering my question.

Once i replace my brakes, i will check my brake fluid as well.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure when you do your brakes to lube the slide pins on the caliper bracket and bed the pads in properly, that will make sure you get the longest life out of your new brakes
Old 05-04-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Make sure when you do your brakes to lube the slide pins on the caliper bracket and bed the pads in properly, that will make sure you get the longest life out of your new brakes
thanx for advice, im currently stuck at removing the bracket itself. Apparently my brakes are pretty rusted so the bracket bolts appear to be seized, quite a bitch to take off.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
thanx myk for answering my question.

Once i replace my brakes, i will check my brake fluid as well.
He didnt say check it, he meant change it. You need to do a full system flush.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

changing my brake fluid is something i need to do as well. i just overlook it most of the time but its very important
Old 05-04-2010, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

The brakes are obviously a very important function on the car. Do your research on what all is available and put something together that is going to perform the way you want. I would suggest you stay away from drilled rotors, slotted is fine in my opinion but ive seen drilled rotors get stress cracks around the drilled holes.. Invest in some decent pads, higher quality brake fluid and check into some stainless brake lines and the end result will be a great performing system. If you want some expert advice and someone who has everything you need in stock and ready to go, check with Sam Strano of strano performance and he will put something together for your application and needs
Old 05-04-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

I change my brake fluid within every 12 months due to racing. I highly recommend speed bleeders to help this go much faster, easier, and cleaner.

Get the mushy brake pedal fixed, then up to the pads and rotors.

Everyone thinks its the rotors that help stopping, but its mainly in the pad. I like the Hawk Pads (HPS for most guys, HP+ for agressive driving). HP+s get really dirty and are loud though.

Front brakes, first time, with fluid flush will likely take you 3-4.5 hours. I can probably do it in under 2 hours now.