Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

problems with calipers moving and clunking

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with calipers moving and clunking

anyone ever had problems with this,
it seems to be from the front brake pad retainers or caliper slide pins or both, do they get worn out and not hold as tight anymore or could it be something else?
Old 06-22-2010, 06:09 AM
On The Tree

nobody?
Old 06-22-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The slide pins should slide freely. Those "retainers" aren't supposed to hold the pad.

Let me guess.. you go around a turn, and after, when you hit the brake, the pedal goes really low, but then is back to normal after that?

It's your front wheel bearings.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

no not at all and the "retainers" is what the haynes manual calls them. it the metal bracket pieces that the caliper bolts to and they DO hold the pads in place. now, i have no braking issues just when i hit small bumps or rough road or the little lines that they fill the cracks in the road with make the brakes rattle cause they wont bolt down tight, too much play in them, brand new calipers but did not replace the retainers

Last edited by Joinedthedarkside; 06-28-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

i guess i just need to buy new ones huh?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joinedthedarkside
no not at all and the "retainers" is what the haynes manual calls them. it the metal bracket pieces that the caliper bolts to and they DO hold the pads in place. now, i have no braking issues just when i hit small bumps or rough road or the little lines that they fill the cracks in the road with make the brakes rattle cause they wont bolt down tight, too much play in them, brand new calipers but did not replace the retainers
what is not tightening, the caliper or the bracket?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

well i can bolt the caliper to the bracket and the bolts are tight but can bump the caliper with my hand like a hammer fist and it clanks, and thats what happens over every little bump
its bolted tight but the slide pins seem loose or something, i know they are supposed to move but i dont think it should be this much movement
Old 06-28-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well i can bolt the caliper to the bracket and the bolts are tight but can bump the caliper with my hand like a hammer fist and it clanks, and thats what happens over every little bump
its bolted tight but the slide pins seem loose or something, i know they are supposed to move but i dont think it should be this much movement
Sounds like the slide pins and/or caliper bracket slide pin holes are worn out. It is not a common issue and is typically only caused by lack of lubrication.

If the caliper bracket bolt holes are not hogged out from wear, you can just buy new pins and it should be tight again. However, if the pin holes are worn, you will need to replace both the pins and the caliper brackets themselves.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

my pins were frozen......PITA !!!!! to get out.....have you chekd the pins?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

The caliper should not move, or "clank", when properly bolted to the knuckle. Did you just recently change brake pads? What kind of pads did you use?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi! This is my first post here, and on an old Thread I know. But I am having the same issues. I have replaced the pads with the expensive adapt-one from Napa. they came with new pad retainers. Replaced the caliper brackets and the slide pins with bolts. Only seems to be the driver side for me though. I have had these apart about 4 times now trying to bend the retainers to hold pressure on the pads. It just doesnt seem to be tight enough. any NEW info? Thanks
Old 07-02-2011, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

nope, i have tried Hawk pads and stock replacements and it does not matter what pads i use, i also have tried stock calipers and zo6 calipers and it still does it, but both calipers use the same slide pin

Quick Reply: problems with calipers moving and clunking