Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Fluid Leaking On Booster?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Fluid Leaking On Booster?

Just below the area where the master cylinder bolts to the brake booster, the paint is bubbling up on the booster. It feels a little moist like there is brake fluid on it eating through the paint. I have never removed the master cylinder on my car, so I am asking a question of complete ignorance, but what is back there that could be leaking? Brake fluid doesn't flow from the master cylinder into the booster does it? Is there a gasket or diaphram on the back of the master cylinder that could be leaking? And if so, can I replace it without having to bleed the brakes? Replacing pads and rotors is as far as I have gotten with working on brakes before.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same thing going on. I'm not 100 percent sure what the cause or fix is. Anyone???
Old 06-24-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

There is a seal where the plunger goes in and out, that could be dry rotting and expelling fluid. Are you noticing the fluid level dropping?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

the seal on the plunger is bad and leaking brake fluid. You need to replace the master cylinder because the brake fluid can harm the inside of the booster.

You will need to bench bleed the master cylinder, and bleed the brakes at all 4 wheels after replacing the master. If you don't feel confident then I would recommend taking it to a reputable mechanic.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
There is a seal where the plunger goes in and out, that could be dry rotting and expelling fluid. Are you noticing the fluid level dropping?
I have had the car for about 18 months. I added a little brake fluid once in that time. It wasn't low enough to be a prolbem, but I just topped it off. I can't really tell that the fluid has dropped any since then. But if I am seeing it on the booster, it must be leaking, unless this is just old and left over from the previous owner. Maybe someone before me had the problem and fixed it but did not clean off the booster.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99345hp
the seal on the plunger is bad and leaking brake fluid. You need to replace the master cylinder because the brake fluid can harm the inside of the booster.

You will need to bench bleed the master cylinder, and bleed the brakes at all 4 wheels after replacing the master. If you don't feel confident then I would recommend taking it to a reputable mechanic.
Crap!! I have bled brakes at the wheels before, but bench bleeding the cylinder sounds like a pain from what I saw in the service manual. If I pull the master cylinder off, is there a visual sign that I can look for to tell me if the seal is bad? Like I said in my previous post, maybe the previous owner fixed the probem but never cleaned off the booster.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

you will see fluid on the back of the master if it is leaking.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

try cleaning the area with brake clean, so you can check later to see if it is still leaking. how do the brakes feel, are they spongy at all or does the pedal drop to the floor. you may be lucky with just being spillage from when you filled it. it really isnt that hard to change the master cyl, but as said if you dont feel you can. take it to a reputable shop. good luck
Old 06-26-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Brakes don't feel spongy. I will pull the mc and see if it looks like it is still leaking, clean off the booster and see if it comes back. I was going to do it today, but gotta get some honey-do's off the list before the wife dumps all my clothes and a pillow in the garage and makes me stay out there permanently.

Thanks for all the tips.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Launching!

check the cap, it could be leakingfrom there.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Teching In

did you discover the source of the leak?

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Leaking On Booster?