Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shake in wheel when braking

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shake in wheel when braking

At speeds above 50-60ish if I get on the brakes and try to move the wheel it starts shaking pretty bad. It mostly only happens when I'm fartin around on windy roads so it's never really been a big deal but I'm takin to car to the mountains in a few weeks so I figured I should look into it.. What should I start dumping money on to replace with aftermarket parts to get this fixed?
Old 06-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Launching!

I had that problem and had to buy new rotors.. Mine were warped... Look at those
Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what condition are the tires in? My DD does the same thing, the tires are choppy from not being rotated. I'm replacing them later on this fall. Just something to check on .
Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Just to clarify, does the steering wheel shake only when braking, or does it shake when you're turning without braking? I too think it's probably warped front rotors. How many miles on the car?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

I vote warped rotors. Don't buy autozone cheap ones or you'll be in the same boat. I have found when buying rotors you get what you paid for. I really like my ws6store rotors.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Teching In

My Firebird did this when I got it, it varied and sometimes almost disappeared, when I looked (after a week of driving it around) both front disks were cracked right across on the inner surface only!!! (how the &^^% that would happen I don't know, the disks looked good otherwise).

Seems that as they changed shape, the pulsing varied! Scary.

Check disks first would be my view!

kr D.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

its warped rotors.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ICRAZY6
what condition are the tires in? My DD does the same thing, the tires are choppy from not being rotated. I'm replacing them later on this fall. Just something to check on .
front tires only have maybe 3500 miles on them, rears only have like 400.

Originally Posted by u118224
Just to clarify, does the steering wheel shake only when braking, or does it shake when you're turning without braking? I too think it's probably warped front rotors. How many miles on the car?
It only does it when I'm turning AND braking and only at speeds above 50, which is why I thought it wasn't warped rotors cause from what I've always been told and experienced, warped rotors will cause shaking even with lower speed, straight line braking. I took the car to the track in April and even slammin on the brakes from 85 there was no noticeable shake at all.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DownSouthWS6
It only does it when I'm turning AND braking and only at speeds above 50, which is why I thought it wasn't warped rotors cause from what I've always been told and experienced, warped rotors will cause shaking even with lower speed, straight line braking. I took the car to the track in April and even slammin on the brakes from 85 there was no noticeable shake at all.
Could still possibly be warped rotors. My stockers warped and wouldn't vibrate the steering wheel until about ~40mph, they also wouldn't vibrate when I slammed on them hard. Got new rotors and problem solved (get some decent pads while you are at it).
Old 06-30-2010, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Well I guess I'll go ahead and get a new rotors. I can get a set of drilled OR slotted brembos for $105, or the WS6store drilled and slotted for I think $99. Which should I go with?

On a side note, I've got a BMR torque arm bar that I'm gonna put on before I head up to the mountains, and I'm thinkin about adding something else to help the car handle a little better since I'm on OE springs/shocks and stock ride height. I'm thinkin about doin a BMR panhard bar and shock tower brace. Any opinions on that?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well I guess I'll go ahead and get a new rotors. I can get a set of drilled OR slotted brembos for $105, or the WS6store drilled and slotted for I think $99. Which should I go with?
It certainly wont hurt, the stock rotors suck (as well as the stock brake pads, I would definitely replace them with some kind of performance pads while youve got everything apart)
http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...CategoryID=191
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=17&ModelID=7
On a side note, I've got a BMR torque arm bar that I'm gonna put on before I head up to the mountains, and I'm thinkin about adding something else to help the car handle a little better since I'm on OE springs/shocks and stock ride height. I'm thinkin about doin a BMR panhard bar and shock tower brace. Any opinions on that?
Ive done both a PHB and a strut tower brace and neither did anything for me in handling. An adjustable PHB would still be a good idea simply to align the rear end (if its off center) but don't expect any handling gains.
Truly the best thing you can do is get some good shocks.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue, only had the steering wheel shake when brake from like 60-50 then it would be fine after that. My problem was the weights on the wheels flew off, might check to see if you have any adhesive stuff on with no weights.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Warped rotors, pins that may be stuck, alignment problem potential...
Old 07-01-2010, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Alright well I'm just gonna go ahead and replace the rotors and pads up front. If yall had to choose between these which would you go with?
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1526

or

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1224

Are the Brembos worth the extra $100? And what's the differnece between drilled and slotted as far as a performance stand point?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Launching!

Alright well I'm just gonna go ahead and replace the rotors and pads up front. If yall had to choose between these which would you go with?
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1526

or

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1224

Are the Brembos worth the extra $100? And what's the differnece between drilled and slotted as far as a performance stand point?
Warped rotors for sure. Brembo or other aftermarket rotors are good if you do autocrossing or road racing, but decent plain ones are good enough for daily driving. Pads will make a bigger difference than rotors. Drilled and slotted look cool, but no real performance advantage for drilled, just prone to cracking. I would go with a decent plain rotor, some good quality pads, and I would also change the fluid while your at it. Just the plain rotors and good pads will make a huge difference. The ones above for $100 a pair are good, but I would be avoiding drilled if possible. Slotted is okay.

Edit: for clarity, I run Brembo and Powerslot rotors, all plain, Brakemotive pads, I Autocross all the time, and it's actually kinda freaky how fast my car stops.

Last edited by Racin'Z28; 07-01-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Racin'Z28
Warped rotors for sure.... but decent plain ones are good enough for daily driving. Pads will make a bigger difference than rotors. ... go with a decent plain rotor, some good quality pads... change the fluid while your at it. Just the plain rotors and good pads will make a huge difference...
I agree. All you really need to do is turn the rotors you have.

But no one mentions that even brand new rotors should be turned! That is just plain old brake shop "Best Practices".
Old 07-01-2010, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Racin'Z28
Warped rotors for sure. Brembo or other aftermarket rotors are good if you do autocrossing or road racing, but decent plain ones are good enough for daily driving. Pads will make a bigger difference than rotors. Drilled and slotted look cool, but no real performance advantage for drilled, just prone to cracking. I would go with a decent plain rotor, some good quality pads, and I would also change the fluid while your at it. Just the plain rotors and good pads will make a huge difference. The ones above for $100 a pair are good, but I would be avoiding drilled if possible. Slotted is okay.

Edit: for clarity, I run Brembo and Powerslot rotors, all plain, Brakemotive pads, I Autocross all the time, and it's actually kinda freaky how fast my car stops.
Thanks man, I might just go with the slotted cause they look kinda cool and get a good set of pads. I didn't even think about drilled ones having problems with cracking but I guess that would make sense. You runnin stock calipers?

Originally Posted by Vexzer
I agree. All you really need to do is turn the rotors you have.

But no one mentions that even brand new rotors should be turned! That is just plain old brake shop "Best Practices".
Rotors are pretty old and the car used to be up north so they're fairly rusty so I'm just gonna replace them. And do new rotors really need to be turned?Aren't they turned when they're made?
Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

And do new rotors really need to be turned? Aren't they turned when they're made?
Yes, new rotors really need to be turned if you run a professional auto repair shop and want no comebacks. For DIY's who have unlimited time to redo their own work -maybe not as important.

If the rotors you buy have machining marks on the surfaces then maybe they've been turned -hopefully AFTER they were heated. You can bet the cheap [but still good] rotors have not been turned. If you don't want to turn them before using, check runout with your dial indicator or just mount them and drive. If pulsations in pedal or steering wheel return at least you'll know that that's the next thing to check. Good Luck!
Old 07-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Launching!

Thanks man, I might just go with the slotted cause they look kinda cool and get a good set of pads. I didn't even think about drilled ones having problems with cracking but I guess that would make sense. You runnin stock calipers?

Rotors are pretty old and the car used to be up north so they're fairly rusty so I'm just gonna replace them. And do new rotors really need to be turned?Aren't they turned when they're made?
Yep, stock calipers. I use Russell Steel lines too, but that's just a bonus since I autocross the car. The stock calipers in front are actually pretty good. They will develop some spread over time since they are cast not as well as the C5 calipers, (which are exactly the same size except made a little better to last a little longer) I've not replaced my stock calipers. Overall, our brakes are actually quite good with good rotors and pads, good fluid, and in good condition. It doesn't take a lot to make them work great.

I won't outright disagree with turning new ones, but I've never done that and had no problem. Any good quality new rotor should have nicely machined and finished surfaces on them. You should be able to see some crosshatching sort of marks where they finished the rotor. It should not be shiny, but actually look like it's scratched up in a machined sort of way, if that makes sense at all. Its hard to describe, other than it should be uniformly, well, crosshatched. As I said, I've never had to turn any new rotors, but the OP may have had a difference experience.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vexzer
If the rotors you buy have machining marks on the surfaces then maybe they've been turned -hopefully AFTER they were heated. You can bet the cheap [but still good] rotors have not been turned.
Exactly what I was trying to describe in my other post. Vexzer is right in that they should have the machining marks that I tried to describe, and hopefully after heated. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Shake in wheel when braking