Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Aftermarket k-members and solid motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket k-members and solid motor mounts

Been poking around to pick up the last few parts of my suspension setup, and I'm having a bit of a problem finding tubular k-members that work with solid motor mounts. So far, the only one I've found is Spohn's k-member - it doesn't look like either UMI or BMR sell one that works with solid mounts, and I'm not sure what other companies make them for f-bodies.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 AM
10 Second Club

I'm not a 100% on this But, I do have the UMI K-member and I think I was told I could use the solid mount if I wanted.

You can call Brad at UMI he will be able to help you on this.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...age=contact_us

Telephone:
Phone: 814.857.5400
Old 07-20-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
Been poking around to pick up the last few parts of my suspension setup, and I'm having a bit of a problem finding tubular k-members that work with solid motor mounts. So far, the only one I've found is Spohn's k-member - it doesn't look like either UMI or BMR sell one that works with solid mounts, and I'm not sure what other companies make them for f-bodies.

You are correct we currently do not offer a solid motor mount for our K-members.

What is the particular reason you are looking for solid motor mounts?

An option we do have is using the Prothane poly mounts and have had great success in doing so.

We have several customers that are over 1000hp to the wheels and they run the Prothane units without issue.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
You are correct we currently do not offer a solid motor mount for our K-members.

What is the particular reason you are looking for solid motor mounts?

An option we do have is using the Prothane poly mounts and have had great success in doing so.

We have several customers that are over 1000hp to the wheels and they run the Prothane units without issue.
I personally prefer the solid connection to the frame with the solid mounts, and it eliminates a replacement part (not that I'd expect the poly to wear out quickly).

The one car I've been in with solid motor mounts felt like it responded to throttle input just a little bit faster than similar cars with poly mounts, although that could just have been my uncalibrated butt dyno.

I am sort of curious as to why you guys don't offer the solid mount k-member, though. Different jig setup for a part that's not requested a whole lot?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:14 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
I'm not a 100% on this But, I do have the UMI K-member and I think I was told I could use the solid mount if I wanted.

You can call Brad at UMI he will be able to help you on this.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...age=contact_us

Telephone:
Phone: 814.857.5400

Hello
Thanks for suggesting UMI Performance. But unfortunately we do not offer a K Member with solid motor mounts. We are talking about offering one but at this time I am unable to give you a exact estimate on when it will be available. And the reason why we don't offer one as of yet. It is more of a race application due to you feel all of the motor vibrations throughout the vehicle and it would not be a good combo for on the street as well. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-20-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like my UMI with the poly's and is what I recommend, and BMR is a quality piece as well and just as good, but if you are stuck on running solids, Spohn solids on a stock k-member, or on their k-member with the mounting plate is likely your best bet if you want an aftermarket k-member for weight savings.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
I like my UMI with the poly's and is what I recommend, and BMR is a quality piece as well and just as good, but if you are stuck on running solids, Spohn solids on a stock k-member, or on their k-member with the mounting plate is likely your best bet if you want an aftermarket k-member for weight savings.
It'll be a while yet before I get to it (waiting on Christmas bonus and tax returns to see how close it puts me to cost for an aluminum 402 + install), so I can afford to wait a bit and see what happens. I've been on a suspension buying spree (just needs A-arms, sways, and shocks and springs and I'll be done), which is why I started thinking about the k-member so far in advance. Everything on the car is UMI so far, and I'll keep tabs on both their and BMR's websites to watch for potential updates.

Here's a noob-tarded question related to k-members for anyone who wants to jump in...motor plates. I see people talking about them and I know they replace regular motor mounts, especially in high-power applications, but I have yet to see a picture or good description of how they work and mount to the engine/chassis. Looking at pictures of the plates themselves, I have no idea what goes where...
Old 07-20-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
I personally prefer the solid connection to the frame with the solid mounts, and it eliminates a replacement part (not that I'd expect the poly to wear out quickly).

The one car I've been in with solid motor mounts felt like it responded to throttle input just a little bit faster than similar cars with poly mounts, although that could just have been my uncalibrated butt dyno.

I am sort of curious as to why you guys don't offer the solid mount k-member, though. Different jig setup for a part that's not requested a whole lot?
OK I see.....just wanted to see what your particular application was...

We have developed several different solid mount solutions just haven't found a design we are really happy with.

The hardest part is having something that can retrofit back into our current K-member design.

Making it so the motor mount retrofits our current unit is both cost effective for us as well as the customer who can then upgrade their current BMR K-member easily.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
OK I see.....just wanted to see what your particular application was...

We have developed several different solid mount solutions just haven't found a design we are really happy with.

The hardest part is having something that can retrofit back into our current K-member design.

Making it so the motor mount retrofits our current unit is both cost effective for us as well as the customer who can then upgrade their current BMR K-member easily.
Ahh. Primarily just a weekend warrior that'll occasionally go to the drag strip and to work on nice days. Not making more power than those cars you mentioned, though, unless I win the lottery.

Gotcha on the retrofit, makes sense from both a vendor and a customer standpoint. Are there any reasons that designing a solid mount setup is harder than a poly setup?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket k-members and solid motor mounts