Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How Can I Lower Just the Front End - 99 SS Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Can I Lower Just the Front End - 99 SS Convertible

Guys I like the stock ride height in the rear on my car, but the front sits a little higher - has anyone just lowered the front to match the rear or just a little lower? What parts did you use? Sure would like some thoughts
Old 08-14-2010, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

Koni shocks have a lower perch on the front that you can use to drop the front slightly with stock springs. Search this forum and you'll find a lot of information on it.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the information - I couldn't find anything real definitive with my searching. The front has about 1/2" greater clearance between outer fender lip and top of tire in the front - maybe just a 1" spring drop in front?
Old 08-14-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a lowering spring would certainly help in the drop department.....but when you lower the ride height, to do things properly, you're gonna need some new shocks to handle the drop anyway.......otherwise, you'll be on the bumpstops all the time, and/or your stock shocks will end up blowing out because they can't handle the lower stance (they really can't even handle the stock stance very well, so that should tell you something......).

speaking as someone with experience with them, i highly recommend getting some Koni single-adjustable shocks, and just leave the stock springs on there for now. as Travis Johnson said, the front Koni shocks have 2 grooves cut into the body of the shock so that you can adjust the height of the spring perch.....from the factory, they are set to the higher position (stock-height). however, you can move the ring clip down to the lower position, which will give you about 5/8" to 3/4" drop in the front. these shocks will get you a HUUUUUUUUGE upgrade in handling performance (honestly, shocks should be the FIRST handling upgrade anyone with a 4th-gen f-body should do), and will save you a few bucks by not having to buy lowering springs at the same time. however, if you do decide to drop the car further in the future, your shocks will already be upgraded and will be able to handle the drop.....all you would need to do is turn the adjuster to the best setting for the new springs.

plus, you will still have the stock spring rate, which is definitely better for ride comfort than most lowering springs. i do love my Strano springs, and they're not what i would call a "bad" ride, but they're definitely not as forgiving on bumps as the stock springs are.....but that's the price you pay for the HUGE increase in handling, there's just not many ways around that.

Koni's are a bit expensive, but they're well, well worth every penny that you spend on them. they're like multiple sets of shocks all rolled into one housing. the fronts have the aforementioned spring perch height adjustments so you can adjust the ride height....and the damping rate is adjustable, so you can dial it in EXACTLY like you like them. with any other non-adjustable shock, you would have to go through all the trouble of purchasing different shocks, removing the ones you don't like, installing the new set, and putting the ones you didn't like up for sale to recoup some of the cost of the new ones. then, you get to do that all over again if the new ones aren't to your liking. with adjustable shocks, all you do is turn an adjuster to increase/decrease the damping rate. i personally won't go with any other shock on my car now that i've owned a set of them.

just make sure that any time you adjust the ride height you get a front end alignment so it rides properly and your tires don't wear out quicker than they should.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys - I really appreciate the input I checked the price of Konis - as you mentioned they are very expensive. I dont drive my car very much - maybe 1000-1500 miles per year. It's just a fun every once in a while car, so I'm looking more for the look than to increase the handling performance. Are there other shocks less expensive that have the same resulting drop, or should I just go with the springs. Thanks
Old 08-15-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Measure the diameter of your shock. Then ...

http://www.daymotorsports.com/produc...S-FOR-BILSTEIN

Slide the collar over your shock and the lower perch is adjustable.

Then ...

http://www.daymotorsports.com/produc...L-OVER-SPRINGS

For a stock rate ... I'm guessing ... probably a 2.5" x 12" x 375 lb spring.

You are in for ~$150
Old 08-16-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You could order a set of Hotchkis 1" front lowering springs.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

We offer our front lowering spring by themselves.

The part # is SP002 and they offer a 1.25" drop.

Additional information regarding the SP002 along with other BMR products can be found HERE.
Attached Thumbnails How Can I Lower Just the Front End - 99 SS Convertible-sp002r.jpg  
Old 08-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Thanks everyone - BMR the order for the springs and an adjustable panhard bar is on its way !
Old 08-17-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Appreciate it!!

Let me know if you have any questions during the install......

Quick Reply: How Can I Lower Just the Front End - 99 SS Convertible