Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

same setup for road & drag possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default same setup for road & drag possible?

my susp is 100% stock. i havnt done anything to it yet because i'm always changing what i want my car to ultimately be set up for, drag or road course? most susp upgraded parts can be the same on both ie.... sfa's, lca's, adj torque arm, adj phb, when leaving the susp in the stk config.
my question is there a shock/spring combo that has enough adjustability for a 4th gen to do both very well after adjustments and mounting a different tire/wheel combo or is it just going to perform so-so unless its setup specific for one or the other?
Old 08-24-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To a point.

Getting out of the 12s at HRP will take some drag specific tweaking. And if you want to run a 47 at MSR-Houston, it will require different, specific tweaking.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:37 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep have to agree, you need to go one way or the other. I'd prefer a road set-up though.
There are no spring/shocks that I know off that could do both.
Either your gonna tighten the car up for corner carving or set it loose for weight transfer.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats what i was afraid yall would say. i was thinking someone made shocks that would give me enough flexability (afcos, qa1 etc...) to do both but is it the springs that would limit me?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:00 AM
wrencher

Afco's or Qa1's would not be good on a road course.
The springs would be the limiter.
The best thing you *might* be able to do is go with a coil over set up= $$$
But I dont know of any that you can set up so loose/tight for what ever your doing.
Plus there's some work in that set up.
If it where me I'd set it up for daily driver/road race.

I have set my car up both ways. Actually I have a drag shock/spring set up complete.
(QA1's springs etc)
Then I have the RR set-up. (koni's strano's) To tell you the truth I dont think I'll be putting the drag set-up back on the car anytime soon. It drives that much better all around.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wrencher
To tell you the truth I dont think I'll be putting the drag set-up back on the car anytime soon. It drives that much better all around.
A common conclusion you go down the curvy road.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:21 AM
wrencher

Originally Posted by mitchntx
A common conclusion you go down the curvy road.

You got that right. Heck even down a strait road w/ the drag shocks it was bad. My K2500HD rode better.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:17 AM
TECH Resident

With all of that said, couldn't a guy have all the suspension bolt ons for autocross with QA1's, adjust the shock settings for drag, remove the front sway, slap on some sticky rear tires and still cut a decent 60'?
Old 08-26-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe, but why?

I don;t see the thrill in sitting in a staging lane for an hour, doing a burn out and stab the gas for 12 seconds.

That oughta get a debate rolling ...
Old 08-26-2010, 08:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Gunn
With all of that said, couldn't a guy have all the suspension bolt ons for autocross with QA1's, adjust the shock settings for drag, remove the front sway, slap on some sticky rear tires and still cut a decent 60'?
This would be doable with a set of Koni shocks but I would recommend the QA1's for this. It will also depend on the springs you are running.

You really can't make the car be the best at both but you can set a car up to be good at both, make sense? If you aren't looking at wining championships or getting payouts at the track then set up it up for the "in between" and drive it hard. Changing to different tires for different types of driving will be needed, you can also work on removing or unbolting a front sway bar.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Gunn
Like the above post, QA1s would not be a good choice for this. No matter how you adjust them they will leave you with a disconnected floaty feeling and leave the car feeling like its an old buick.
They are drag shocks (no matter how they are marketed) and are not gas charged either (which means they will fade with heat and abuse). The polar opposite of what you want.
You could however do something like this with a handling shock like Koni, bilstien, kyb, penski etc etc.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

theres also a great article in this month's Super Chevy mag, compares suspension types if your lookin for more info...