Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Weird brake pedal... possible knock back

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird brake pedal... possible knock back

I searched the infamous knock back for the brake pedal problems and I'm not sure if I fall into that category. On highway exits ramps or turning fast into a corner and applying the brakes, the brake pedal feels like abs kicks in for a second and goes completely stiff. It doesn't sink to the floor it gets stays hard and has that second or two of pulsing/abs feel and it doesn't slow the car down. I have to let up and push the brakes again for it to stop. On the highway, I was making a high speed stop and the brake pedal got super stiff and would not stop the car. I pumped and pumped but the pedal wouldn't move and no lights came on. I'm not even sure I have abs.

I have brand new powerstop slotted rotors, hawk hps pads, and fresh brake fluid. I had the system flushed again just to rule out bad fluid. I also re-greased the caliper pins and made sure all the clips are properly seated.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like a problem in the block/module or a wheel speed sensor freaking out. Subscribed for sure...
Old 09-24-2010, 01:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

That's not knock-back. That would give you a long first stroke on the pedal.

Sounds like you are simply getting into the ABS deeply. ABS is simply trying to keep a wheel from locking and if you are turning while hitting the brakes hard you will definitely get into it. At a certain point if the sensors see something odd, like one wheel locked and 3 not, it will assume you are on a slick surface like ice. At that point it can bring in "ice-mode" which will not let the car stop at more than .3g. The ABS cycles fast and the pedal tends to be high and hard.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-24-2010, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

I have a similar problem I think with my car. I just upgraded to a 4 piston 14" brake kit in the front and it stops great under "normal" driving. But a few times when I have done some high speed braking it felt almost like brake fade. pedal felt kind of normal but the car just didn't slow down as much as it should. I'm pretty sure each time it has happened I instinctively lift up on the pedal and press again and it seems to be much better. I have not thought to look at the dash each time for a low-trac or ABS light, I am more focused on the car in front of me. Could this just be ABS being sensitive? I should also add that my front and rear tires are not the same size. Does ABS correct for this or does it just always assume that I am very close to losing traction? Side note I have a bad habit of downshifting (my automatic) when I'm slowing down and sometimes the low trac will flash on when I do this. It never did it when I had the stock sized tires. Is this related to my tire size question?

Thanks
Old 09-25-2010, 05:25 AM
On The Tree

Just a note that this happened again last night and my "LOW TRAC" light is definitely coming on. I have never noticed before but does "LOW TRAC" show when ABS is active or is it purely for the ASR? I should add that I know what ABS feels like when driving in the snow and this lack of braking doesn't feel like ABS. There is no vibration in the pedal, it just doesn't seem to stop as well.

Any input would be great!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Giggity
I have a similar problem I think with my car. I just upgraded to a 4 piston 14" brake kit in the front and it stops great under "normal" driving. But a few times when I have done some high speed braking it felt almost like brake fade. pedal felt kind of normal but the car just didn't slow down as much as it should. I'm pretty sure each time it has happened I instinctively lift up on the pedal and press again and it seems to be much better. I have not thought to look at the dash each time for a low-trac or ABS light, I am more focused on the car in front of me. Could this just be ABS being sensitive? I should also add that my front and rear tires are not the same size. Does ABS correct for this or does it just always assume that I am very close to losing traction? Side note I have a bad habit of downshifting (my automatic) when I'm slowing down and sometimes the low trac will flash on when I do this. It never did it when I had the stock sized tires. Is this related to my tire size question?

Thanks
I have that exact same problem... feels like brake fade but it's not.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
I have that exact same problem... feels like brake fade but it's not.
Did a few google searches and it sound like what Sam is saying about the ABS is true. I will probably disable the ABS and give it a shot. I haven't even looked into this. I'm guessing there is an ABS fuse? If not, could I simply unplug the connector?
Old 09-27-2010, 03:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Giggity
Just a note that this happened again last night and my "LOW TRAC" light is definitely coming on. I have never noticed before but does "LOW TRAC" show when ABS is active or is it purely for the ASR? I should add that I know what ABS feels like when driving in the snow and this lack of braking doesn't feel like ABS. There is no vibration in the pedal, it just doesn't seem to stop as well.

Any input would be great!
The Low-trac light comes on when the ABS is engaged.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

None of my lights come on when it does it.

Quick Reply: Weird brake pedal... possible knock back