Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Passenger Side Lower after Bilstein Install - WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question Passenger Side Lower after Bilstein Install - WHY?

My RS' Front Passenger Side sits about an inch or so lower than the driver side after SLP Bilstein Install, and I am uncertain as to why. My gut says that since the stock shock was disconnected due to a failed strut mount, the passenger side spring took a beating? Does anyone else concur, or what else might it be?

TIA!

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 10-19-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id guess one of the springs isnt seated correctly. Jack it back up and look carefully at every spring.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fat chick in the passenger seat maybe?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem and I realized when I put it together the spring rotated so it didn't sit in the rubber holder right, and was causing one side to be too high, not the other to be too low.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Thanks for the inputs. So the side with the spring rotated was the high side, correct? In your case was it the spring isolator or strut mount side or both where the spring was rotated?

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I had the same problem and I realized when I put it together the spring rotated so it didn't sit in the rubber holder right, and was causing one side to be too high, not the other to be too low.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Thanks for the inputs. So the side with the spring rotated was the high side, correct? In your case was it the spring isolator or strut mount side or both where the spring was rotated?
The bottom one, the spring cup. There is a fairly tall lump of rubber to grab the end of the spring coil, and the tail of it was up on there so it made it about an inch higher. Just figured I'd throw it out there since its easy to check for.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Were the lower shock bolt holes facing out towards the wheels or in towards the engine before you bolted the bottom of the shocks down (they should both be the same up front)?
Mount them both with the lower shock bolt holes facing out towards the top of the wheels. This was a issue I had years ago when I first put some Bilsteins on the front of my car.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Question

I installed both sides where the lower bolt holes angled in towards the engine, which seemed to be the way it was designed. If you install it the other way, then you have to mount the bolts, then bend it inward which seemed counterintuitive.

If I understand correctly, you are saying I should have done the opposite? If so, what would indicate this or how did you come to that understanding? Bilstein has no details that points this out...

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Were the lower shock bolt holes facing out towards the wheels or in towards the engine before you bolted the bottom of the shocks down (they should both be the same up front)?
Mount them both with the lower shock bolt holes facing out towards the top of the wheels. This was a issue I had years ago when I first put some Bilsteins on the front of my car.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

I installed both sides where the lower bolt holes angled in towards the engine, which seemed to be the way it was designed. If you install it the other way, then you have to mount the bolts, then bend it inward which seemed counterintuitive.

If I understand correctly, you are saying I should have done the opposite? If so, what would indicate this or how did you come to that understanding? Bilstein has no details that points this out...
Okay, maybe I've got it backwards A long as you did both side the same your good then, but if you had both side different it could cause a height difference between the L&R side.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Question

I checked the spring location on both driver and passenger side upper and lower isolators -- and the spring is in the proper spot - right next to the bump stopper... Next idea?

Only thing on the driver side was I had to twist the upper control arm a bit to get the bolts through the holes for the strut mount -- could that little twisting have caused this issue? Apparently I didn't have it lined up perfect before tightening the mount nut.

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
The bottom one, the spring cup. There is a fairly tall lump of rubber to grab the end of the spring coil, and the tail of it was up on there so it made it about an inch higher. Just figured I'd throw it out there since its easy to check for.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I checked the spring location on both driver and passenger side upper and lower isolators -- and the spring is in the proper spot - right next to the bump stopper... Next idea?

Only thing on the driver side was I had to twist the upper control arm a bit to get the bolts through the holes for the strut mount -- could that little twisting have caused this issue? Apparently I didn't have it lined up perfect before tightening the mount nut.
No, I really don't think so.
Have you checked the swaybar endlinks, bent, tightened more or less then the other side?
I would also check both front sway bar mounts for any issues.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure you didn't tighten the strut mount bolt down to much.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

Maybe cause the battery is on that side? How much lower is it? Did you let the suspension settle before looking for answers?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had Bilsteins on my car for several years, but I've forgotten.....are there two different locations for the lower spring perch to sit? If so, are they both in the same location?

Quick Reply: Passenger Side Lower after Bilstein Install - WHY?