Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Have Konis & Stranos and couldn't be happier!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have Konis & Stranos and couldn't be happier!

Prior to Koni 4/4/Strano spring combo, my 2002 SS had:
- Watts link
-Strano Swaybars
-Slp Bilstein/Eibach setup
First off, the Strano linear springs were easier to install than my variable springs were due to the coils being further apart and that the Stranos are shorter. The previously installed parts def improved my car's handling but the road holding due to the new springs and shocks is MUCH improved! Of course, an (stock spec-my prefernce) alignment was done shortly after the install to avoid poor tire wear on my new GSD3's.
How is it better? The Bilsteins were great, don't get me wrong, but they seemed to put an emphasis on ride comfort over performance. The progressive springs allowed a little too much body movement including nose dive. When doing some spirited driving on the street, my SLP stuff loaded up nicely, but the body would pitch up (due to soft damping) and the car would become unsettled for the next corner. NOT overly confidence inspiring! I know there is a post from someone having issues with their setup. I think he is noticing the little foad imperfections now (as I do too) and confusing this with harshness. The fact that BIG bumps ARE NOT 10x worse than the small ones is the brilliance of the Konis. The mass of the car is handled sooo much better NOW (with the ability to adjust further) with this combo, it allows the car to take a set and maintain that set throughout the corner. Keep in mind, these are corners with BUMPS in the middle of them, NOT a smooth road!! The car is really buttoned down! I wasn't after a lower stance than what I had, just a more connected feeling that the variable rate springs weren't able to do- softer than optimal, then stiffer (nice), then softer etc etc. I even tried the Koni with the SLP springs and I'll say the ride was the same! The higher Strano spring rate supports the car nicely, while the Konis allow me to adjust the rebound (vehicle pitching UP) and the ride somewhat! Needless to say, I am pleased with this setup and the tech support from Sam! Next up, UMI adj roto/poly LCA on order! To sum up, the car feels sportier all the time, and really stays glued to the road the harder you push!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do any road courses?
Old 10-22-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting -- thanks for the input... Stock springs are linear as well, is that right?
Old 10-22-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry, no. I've owned the car since new: my car is not a DD, auto-x or 1/4 mile toy. This is my summer, fair weather machine!!! My experiences are based on my back to back testing of the aforementioned parts on local roads, some winding, bumpy, both, highway etc. I deliberately tested my car on my "shake down" road before and after part installs to evaluate/adjust. Average driver who likes his car to handle and (at least NOW!) "punch" above its' weight class. I do, however, enjoy showing the odd BMW what 300 plus hp is all about! Now the chassis can easily keep up with the motor!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Stock is/was linear, I went to SLP/ Eibach (variable rate 300-450LB FR, 97-140 lb Rr) about 6 years ago. From stock to SLP was a huge improvement. SLP stuff to Strano/Koni was another leap into a different handling league! Def. more responsive in any situation! This was what I was looking for but that the Bilstein/Eibach could not deliver. They left too much performance on the table for me. The ride was really good and the handling was good too. The new stuff is incredible!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it really that much better? I too have a fair weather machine without preference to 1/4 mile or auto X, but do appreciate great handling and cushion on the bumps. Have Eibach Pros and Bilstein HDs...hmmmmmm

Mind if I ask what the damage was?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

LPE403 Better? You bet! Granted, I had the SLP valved Bilsteins, there are differences although I don't think they are THAT different. I felt a little floatiness after the springs compressed then sprung back. The car body kind of rebounded too high/ took too long to recover from the compression. A lack of damping, basically. First drive down the street after the Koni install I could feel the road irregularities more, as expected. I thought, Ok, the konis are controlling rebound better on these small bumps, so what will happen on the bigger/more demanding surfaces? Well, they cope rather well! You know, this combo may not be for everyone. The springs ARE lowering springs designed for performance driving. The spring rates ARE greater than stock. Konis ARE valved for perfomance over comfort. This is the reality. If you feel your car needs more damping, maybe a performance shock is for you. If your setup is fine for your use/requirements/budget/expectations keep it! If anything in my first post resonates with you, consider the upgrade. Price is NO secret. Strano site has all the prices listed. BTW, my SLP stuff cost over $1K a long time ago. Here we are, 6 years later (and only 12,000miles!) in the same price range for stuff that I should have got in the first place. Like most guys, I do my mods slowly, as budget permits!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

I also thoroughly enjoy my Strano springs and Koni shocks along with sway bars from Strano as well. I autocross and also as much sunny weather street driving as I can. The adjustability of the Koni's is very nice and the car is well balanced both on the road on the course.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter2002
LPE403 Better? You bet! Granted, I had the SLP valved Bilsteins, there are differences although I don't think they are THAT different. I felt a little floatiness after the springs compressed then sprung back. The car body kind of rebounded too high/ took too long to recover from the compression. A lack of damping, basically. First drive down the street after the Koni install I could feel the road irregularities more, as expected. I thought, Ok, the konis are controlling rebound better on these small bumps, so what will happen on the bigger/more demanding surfaces? Well, they cope rather well! You know, this combo may not be for everyone. The springs ARE lowering springs designed for performance driving. The spring rates ARE greater than stock. Konis ARE valved for perfomance over comfort. This is the reality. If you feel your car needs more damping, maybe a performance shock is for you. If your setup is fine for your use/requirements/budget/expectations keep it! If anything in my first post resonates with you, consider the upgrade. Price is NO secret. Strano site has all the prices listed. BTW, my SLP stuff cost over $1K a long time ago. Here we are, 6 years later (and only 12,000miles!) in the same price range for stuff that I should have got in the first place. Like most guys, I do my mods slowly, as budget permits!
Wow...so to say you're happy is an understatement! I'll probably 'tolerate' mine until I feel the need. Plenty of money going in other directions right now, lol...I'll probably make it on what I have. Appreciate the input...
Old 10-22-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, no. I've owned the car since new: my car is not a DD, auto-x or 1/4 mile toy. This is my summer, fair weather machine!!! My experiences are based on my back to back testing of the aforementioned parts on local roads, some winding, bumpy, both, highway etc. I deliberately tested my car on my "shake down" road before and after part installs to evaluate/adjust. Average driver who likes his car to handle and (at least NOW!) "punch" above its' weight class. I do, however, enjoy showing the odd BMW what 300 plus hp is all about! Now the chassis can easily keep up with the motor!
Just so I understand ...
... it's unscientific, seat of the pants, individual "feeling" that it's better.
No lap times before and after, right?

If you were to replace a camshaft in the motor and post in the motor section of this site with no before and after 1/4 mile times or dyno sheets, just "it feels faster from my driveway to the convenience store", how well would that be recieved?

Be honest ...

Not saying it isn't better. Just saying without data, your claims are just that ... claims.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

Well, I am being perfectly honest MITCHNTX. I find my car handles way better than before, I guess you feel it may not. I know my car and the way it handles around the roads I drive so... take my experiences with MY OWN car as you will, I don't care. Any specific points with my personal experience you feel may be wrong? I felt my thread was in depth enough for most posters and they would take what I said at face value. If I said I shaved 2 sec off a long road course one could say tire pressures could do that. So THAT argument would not placate some people either. Im not going to argue with anybody @ how MY car feels on the road, it really doesn't serve any purpose. Saying that my personal experiences are just "claims" (which IS true) may serve some purpose for you, what would that be...? Is there a better setup I should have considered in your opinion? I mentioned my previous setup that I bought to replace the factory stuff and that was a huge improvement. I have ALWAYS felt (my opinion again) that MY car with the straight line performance that it has, should have the suspension to match. The Strano stuff brings me to this goal. I felt GM was foolish to not make something like the Bilstein/Eibach as standard on the SS at least, esp considering the additional cost ot the SS. Are YOU claiming that I am claiming something that is not true about MY CAR?

Last edited by pewter2002; 10-23-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Launching!

lol if he would say that it shaved time off his lap times, we would then need proof on paper/video, and then it would go on and on.

Of course its a noticable difference (seat of the pants) whatever, anything is better than the factory junk.

Here we go.....
Old 10-23-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I am being perfectly honest MITCHNTX. I find my car handles way better than before, I guess you feel it may not. I know my car and the way it handles around the roads I drive so... take my experiences with MY OWN car as you will, I don't care. Any specific points with my personal experience you feel may be wrong? I felt my thread was in depth enough for most posters and they would take what I said at face value. If I said I shaved 2 sec off a long road course one could say tire pressures could do that. So THAT argument would not placate some people either. Im not going to argue with anybody @ how MY car feels on the road, it really doesn't serve any purpose. Saying that my personal experiences are just "claims" (which IS true) may serve some purpose for you, what would that be...? Is there a better setup I should have considered in your opinion? I mentioned my previous setup that I bought to replace the factory stuff and that was a huge improvement. I have ALWAYS felt (my opinion again) that MY car with the straight line performance that it has, should have the suspension to match. The Strano stuff brings me to this goal. I felt GM was foolish to not make something like the Bilstein/Eibach as standard on the SS at least, esp considering the additional cost ot the SS. Are YOU claiming that I am claiming something that is not true about MY CAR?
Not sure what prompted that.

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Not saying it isn't better. Just saying without data, your claims are just that ... claims.
How is that statement untrue?
Old 10-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Not sure what prompted that. How is that statement untrue?
With due heed to the danger of falling into the error described in your sig, he is not making "claims" of universal validity. He's simply describing his experience with his car. It's a purely subjective evaluation - as is done in zillions of posts a day on this site. Take it for what it's worth and move on. No need rain on his parade because he's happy with his Strano setup.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think the point that mitch is getting at is, did the new setup actually increase the handling potential of the car, or the drivers confidence in it. Those are two separate things.

Personally, I think I'm one of the few people on planet earth that don't like the koni/strano combo on the car after installing it. If this guy likes it, then so be it. It obviously made him happier with his car, so whats the problem.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RevGTO
No need rain on his parade because he's happy with his Strano setup.
Granted and good point.

But does the feedback truly belong in a tech forum or here?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-sponsor-feedback-70/
Old 10-24-2010, 02:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

LOL!!

J/K!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I think the point that mitch is getting at is, did the new setup actually increase the handling potential of the car, or the drivers confidence in it. Those are two separate things.

Personally, I think I'm one of the few people on planet earth that don't like the koni/strano combo on the car after installing it. If this guy likes it, then so be it. It obviously made him happier with his car, so whats the problem.
what was it about the setup that you didn't like?

i've had slp bilsteins and eibach (prokit 93-95 3.4) springs for a few years now. it handles great imo, but the ride is kinda harsh and i feel the travel is limited. i've been tossing around the idea of changing em for a while now but dunno what to go with.

i liked the ride my friend's 00 bird had after i installed agx's and the 3.8 prokit, nice and smooth, but noticeably more body roll and overall less "confidence inspiring." i think im just getting old.

Last edited by notsonic; 10-24-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

^^^ With all due respect, this is not sponsor feedback material, Mitch! My original post is just describing my impressions of my new setup vs. old, I think you may be confusing
my post with another happy Strano customer? Well ARC00TA, I feel your pain! That is how I felt @ my previous setup! GL to you, your quest for your ideal suspension continues.

Last edited by pewter2002; 10-24-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Just so I understand ...
... it's unscientific, seat of the pants, individual "feeling" that it's better.
No lap times before and after, right?

If you were to replace a camshaft in the motor and post in the motor section of this site with no before and after 1/4 mile times or dyno sheets, just "it feels faster from my driveway to the convenience store", how well would that be recieved?

Be honest ...

Yeah, because having a car you can trust and feel comfortable driving fast isn't important. If if you recall, it was but a few years ago when GMHTP did a full test on my suspension complete with lap times, do a search.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Have Konis & Stranos and couldn't be happier!