Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Monroe Sensa-trac's VS. Gabriel Ultra's

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monroe Sensa-trac's VS. Gabriel Ultra's

WOAH,
Before the bash fest begins. Let me say that this is for my Daily Driver.

(Yes, I have Koni 4/3's, and a full strano bar setup on my other car lol )

I can get the sensa-trac's shipped from Rock auto for about the same price as I can buy Gabriel Ultra's from autozone....

Which one do you prefer, in general?

Thanks guys,
Old 11-10-2010, 01:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I think you'll hate both.... It's picking between bad and worse. Frankly you'd be better off on a set of new take-offs. I happen to have a set here, less than 1k miles on them... and I'm sure they'll be less money. $125 shipped.

I also "carry", as in can sell but don't stock, Monroe... Both Sensa-trac and Monro-Matic Plus (even cheaper).

But this is exactly where I'd say Tokico HP's fit in. A little more @ $359/set, but way less than the Koni's () with damping you won't hate.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-10-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stay far far away. Sensa-Tracs are terrible, had them on an older Camaro I sold -- terribly "bouncy". I used Gabriel upper shock mounts and had multiple failures with them and the studs were whimpier than stock, this would make me stay away from their shocks.

Get some Bilsteins for your DD -- that's what I did and like the improvements.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Ehh...

I should rephrase....

Which one would you prefer/ is better... Sensa trac or Gabriel ultra

if those were the only two you could possibly choose from.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

This kind of ignores what you just said, but RockAuto carries the KYB GR2 for almost the same prices as the Sensa-Trac. I have them on my daily driven Grand Prix and they were a nice stock replacement. I'd go with them before Monroe or Gabriel, and the cost is almost the same.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Travis Johnson
This kind of ignores what you just said, but RockAuto carries the KYB GR2 for almost the same prices as the Sensa-Trac. I have them on my daily driven Grand Prix and they were a nice stock replacement. I'd go with them before Monroe or Gabriel, and the cost is almost the same.
Ya, but it really has to be gabriel ultra or monroe sensa trac
Old 11-10-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Definitely NEITHER.

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
Ehh...

I should rephrase....

Which one would you prefer/ is better... Sensa trac or Gabriel ultra

if those were the only two you could possibly choose from.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

WHY?

Ya, but it really has to be gabriel ultra or monroe sensa trac
Old 11-10-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
WHY?

Daily driver, don't care at all about performance. And by don't care I mean........I will not spend any more money than what these cost.

It is absolutely between these two.

Like I said, my other car has Koni's and blah blah blah

I really would just like to know if there is any difference between these two shocks....
Old 11-10-2010, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

I don't see why it has to be a dichotomy, there are better options available. If it's a problem of price, Sam offered cheaper and the KYBs are only a total of $22ish more. Obviously it's not delivery time or source, the KYBs are offered at the same place you'd be getting the Monroes from.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Launching!

given the above statement, i would pick on what ever is cheaper.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Travis Johnson
I don't see why it has to be a dichotomy, there are better options available. If it's a problem of price, Sam offered cheaper and the KYBs are only a total of $22ish more. Obviously it's not delivery time or source, the KYBs are offered at the same place you'd be getting the Monroes from.
I realize there are better options, hence I have KONI'S on my performance-based-car

$22 ish more for one, which is $44 for both, not to mention the increase for the rears... so it ends up being $60 or $70 more for a DD, that just needs simple, cheap, auto parts store shocks.

And no it isn't delivery time or source. It is economy. Kyb-no, bilstein-no, I just want someone to comment who has had gabriel ultra's or sensa trac's.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

It's not $22 each, its about $22 total. About $10 more each for the fronts and a whole $1 for the rears. Or you could take Sam's offer and save money.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

WOAH,
Before the bash fest begins. Let me say that this is for my Daily Driver.

(Yes, I have Koni 4/3's, and a full strano bar setup on my other car lol )

I can get the sensa-trac's shipped from Rock auto for about the same price as I can buy Gabriel Ultra's from autozone....

Which one do you prefer, in general?

Thanks guys,
what is your daily driver.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Nobody has run them because they are both horrible. Even my daily driver 93 civic has tokico blues. If it is a f-body, go with the stock shocks that Sam offered.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swapped Monroe-Matics (the cheapest set, whatever they're called) onto my parents' Jeep GC at 140k, because the stock shocks were blown and they refuse to spend decent money on car parts.

I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the brand-New Monroe shocks, and the blown 140k stockers. They ride like absolute ****, and weren't worth the time or money spent swapping in.

From everything I've heard, Gabriel shocks are even worse.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Not sure what you are waiting for.. some 1 person to chime in and say one is better than the other? Then does that make it the final answer? Even if someone did do a direct supposed "seat of the pants" feeling comparison, how valid would it be? All the average Joes' opinions on here are subjective, and I stongly believe a lot are coming from placebo effect

Seems like it's pretty simple... if you don't mind sacrificing quality dampening and build in shocks, just pick one or the other. Unless your stock shocks are functioning (not busted broken) then I'd keep stockers. The only risk is you not liking them and losing out on 130-160 bucks for a full set. In that case at least you could get experience comparing those with a better set, assuming you get a better set down the road.

I'd absolutely go for Bilstiens as a stock replacement, but that's just my own opinion.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if it's a daily driver and not a performance oriented car, the suspension of your car is working ALL OF THE TIME. Why would it be foolish to spend a few extra dollars to turn your daily driver into something that has a suspension that doesn't just function, but functions well.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I've got a bit better understanding here. This isn't actually an F-body that's in question, which means that options we are used too aren't there. It would have been nice to know that upfront and saved everyone a lot of trouble.

Between the two, and only the two... I can't say "which is better" they are both kind of crappy. I think whoever said pick the one that is cheaper hit the nail on the head. I think we'd all like to know why only those two choices, maybe it's some sort of discount he can get only on those two brands? I don't know. I'm just trying to be honest here, and picking between these two is like trying to choose between rotten eggs and spoiled milk.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Even if it's a daily driver and not a performance oriented car, the suspension of your car is working ALL OF THE TIME. Why would it be foolish to spend a few extra dollars to turn your daily driver into something that has a suspension that doesn't just function, but functions well.
Because I don't care about it, I'm selling it within a year (or so), it has high mileage, a bunch of other parts need attending to, etc etc etc.

Quick Reply: Monroe Sensa-trac's VS. Gabriel Ultra's