Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ground Control coilovers worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ground Control coilovers worth it??

Anyone here use this coilover set ground control . If so how does it handle/ride, and were they easy to install and adjust. I had my BMR's put in and they look good, but not low enough for me. Plus my rear sits lower than the front (prob due to the amps and subs/box weight) I am leaning toward a height adjustable suspension. Any pics of cars with these on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Rob
Old 04-02-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they are the best around. Keep in mind I only use them on the front.

Keep in mind that ride and handling are not related to the coilovers. They simply provide the adjustable ride height. What does effect ride and handling is the spring rate you choose, shocks you use and ride height you choose. Install is just like any other shock or spring install. Adjusting is a little tricky. You jack up the car to let the suspension drop. Loosen the allen head lock nut on the collar and then turn the collar to move it up or down on the threads. Drop the car down to check the height. When done, lock the allen head screw to keep the adjustor locked into place. Pretty simple really. Once you have the ride height set, get the alignment done and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Here are some pics of mine:

Here are a few pics from other folks showing the parts used:

Old 04-02-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

jasonww: do you have a pic of the bearing thats not shown in the pic by itself?

robthehog: im selling my GC kit see here https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/297436-wtt-gc-kit-g2-springs.html

Pm me for more info
Old 04-02-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, here you go:

GC actually forgot my bearings, so I had to get them locally. If you need part numbers let me know.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Jason, I have a brand new set of KYB AGX shocks and struts. I noticed you have no spring perch on your struts? Is that the way Bilstien struts come or did you have to modify yours? I assume that if I purchase the kit straight from GC that each kit listed for specific shocks and struts are constructed differently for install purposes.One more thing, is your kit the full one, that comes with springs and all. Thanks a lot for your help.

Rob
Old 04-02-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK, a few things first. These cars use shocks, not struts. I have the Koni SA shocks, not the Bilsteins.
On them, as well as the Bilstein, Monroe and the stock DeCarbons the lower spring perch slides onto a ring either welded to or cut into the shock body. You slide the shock perchs off and the GC sleeves slide over the shock body and rest on these rings. If I remember correctly the KYB has perches that are welded into place. I don't think the GC front kit would work with those particular shocks, sorry. There is only one front kit for the 4th gen and they are all the same. The KYB is the oddball.

There is a front kit and a rear kit. The front includes the collars, sleeves, springs (your choice of rates) the top hat, bearings and wrench (although GC tends to forget to include the bearings and wrench sometimes). The front kit is $225, rear is $200. I would not deal with the GC guys, I would call Sam Strano. He can get them for you because the GC guys are a pain to deal with if you can ever get in contact with them. Even Sam doesn't like dealing with them, but the product is excellent, so what can you do?
Old 04-02-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is a pic of the Koni SA, notice the 2 different ring locations. This is unique to the the Koni SA only. The upper ring groove is the stock height. Most shocks have the ring in that location then the perches just slide down over them.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

So the kit thats listed on GC's web page for the KYB AGX shocks will not work?
Old 04-02-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was told by gc that it would work
Old 04-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Banned

Bearings?!? Son-of-a-@##%$! Well, I need to call Sam and see what he can do since I got the GC's from fim last summer. Are the bearings needed?
Old 04-03-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RobTheHog
So the kit thats listed on GC's web page for the KYB AGX shocks will not work?
On GC's page they show the 4th gen along with koni and bilstein shocks. I see no mention of the KYB's. Look at the bottom of this page where it lists the stuff for the front of the 93-98 F-body (I'm sure they meant 93-02):
http://www.ground-control.com/?D=72f...7607aca9045a31
It's possible you were looking at the 3rg gen stuff as GC lists a KYB shock there. The 3rd gens are totally different as well as use struts.

Originally Posted by Gregg_98TA
Bearings?!? Son-of-a-@##%$! Well, I need to call Sam and see what he can do since I got the GC's from fim last summer. Are the bearings needed?
Yep, GC sometimes forgets these as well as the wrenches. You don't have to have them, but it makes adjusting the ride height easier. I decided I wanted to put them in, so I got them locally for about $25 total.
Bearing is Timkin NTA-4052 - cost me about $7ea
Washers are Torrington TRA-4052 - cost about $2.25ea
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511273
Old 04-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Banned

JasonWW,

Thanks for the part numbers. I will see if Sam will make GC good for it. If not, the part numbers will be very helpful.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've had Sam and Arlyn trying to get GC to send me my bearings and wrench for over 9 months. It's like GC just doesn't care.

I don't actually NEED them, but I paid for them, so it's the principle of the thing.

I would seriously call around to some bearing places by you if you want to install everything fairly soon. You could probably get by without them, I now of several who don't use the bearings.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JasonWW
On GC's page they show the 4th gen along with koni and bilstein shocks. I see no mention of the KYB's. Look at the bottom of this page where it lists the stuff for the front of the 93-98 F-body (I'm sure they meant 93-02):
http://www.ground-control.com/?D=72f...7607aca9045a31
It's possible you were looking at the 3rg gen stuff as GC lists a KYB shock there. The 3rd gens are totally different as well as use struts.
Then how come on this page http://www.ground-control-store.com/...hp/II=21/CA=67 it lists 93-up camaro/firebirds, in the drop down box for shock type they list a kit for the KYB AGX? I am going to call tomorrow and find out the scoop!! Me wans a kit but dont want to buy new shocks!!
Old 04-03-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RobTheHog
Then how come on this page http://www.ground-control-store.com/...hp/II=21/CA=67 it lists 93-up camaro/firebirds, in the drop down box for shock type they list a kit for the KYB AGX? I am going to call tomorrow and find out the scoop!! Me wans a kit but dont want to buy new shocks!!
Cool, I've never seen that web page. GC must have added it recently. They seem to show both kits only. You CAN get the front kit for $225 or the rear kit for $200.

I don't know why they have the KYB shock listed in the drop down box. I know the picture is wrong. If you have the shocks, look and see if the lower spring perch is removable or welded on. If it can't be removed, then the only possible way to get them to work is to slide the sleeve down and have it rest on the perch and then use an 8" spring. That should allow you to get the car lower than stock. It might crush or deform the bottom of the sleeve, though as it was not designed to work like that. Do you see what I mean?

I'm interested to see what the GC guys have to say about using that shock. Let us know.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you get the bearings so you could have an easier adjustment? Im also wondering if they can custom cut springs?

Also JasonWW is your ride pretty stiff? im running the 500/150 kit and it seems pretty responsive, whats your setup?

Last edited by 6']['9; 04-04-2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 6']['9
did you get the bearings so you could have an easier adjustment?
I got them locally and added them because I felt it was the best decision. I think I would have regret not putting them in while I had everything apart.
Im also wondering if they can custom cut springs?
Why would you need that? The springs up front are Eibach universal race springs with a 2.5" ID. They come in the 10" long size. You can get 8 inch, but it's not a good idea. They are specially cut flat on the ends and powdercoated. There's no need to cut them at all. Or were you refering to the rear springs?
Also JasonWW is your ride pretty stiff? im running the 500/150 kit and it seems pretty responsive, whats your setup?
I'm running 550/170, with Koni SA's all around, 35 solid front and 19 rear bars. 26" front and 26 1/4" rear ride heights. 40mm koni bumpstop up front and a custom bumpstop in the rear to allow more suspension travel. I've got the Nitto 555RII up front in 275 at 32.5psi cold and Nitto 555R in 315 out back at 23psi cold. The rear shocks are full soft and the fronts are about middle to just above that (I can't remember).

I have it dialed in just right for me. It's about as aggresive feeling as I can get while still having a comfortable ride. I drive it everyday so it can't be harsh or a kidney pounder as they say. One pound higher in front tire pressure makes it too harsh, one sweep higher in the front koni shock is too harsh. Turn in is aggresive and quick and the car responds very well. I'm sure some people could withstand it being harsher while others might want it a bit softer than I have it. So it all depends on owner preference.

BTW, I think a 600 front spring would work for me as well without being too stiff.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's the stance in case anyone wanted to know:

Also keep in mind that the ride height plays a part in the ride quality. I started out at 25" front and rear and it was way too harsh on the big bumps, very next day I went to 25 3/4". A week later I decided that 26" front and 26 1/4" was just right to get that low look as well as the best ride. Any higher and I think I wouldn't have liked the looks. Every time I raised the front, even 1/4", the ride got better. So I got the alignment done at 26". If you can go higher without the looks bothering you, please try. Every little bit helps. The car will ride smoother and handle bigger bumps as well as allow you to go faster over the same bumps.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Here's the stance in case anyone wanted to know:

Also keep in mind that the ride height plays a part in the ride quality. I started out at 25" front and rear and it was way too harsh on the big bumps, very next day I went to 25 3/4". A week later I decided that 26" front and 26 1/4" was just right to get that low look as well as the best ride. Any higher and I think I wouldn't have liked the looks. Every time I raised the front, even 1/4", the ride got better. So I got the alignment done at 26". If you can go higher without the looks bothering you, please try. Every little bit helps. The car will ride smoother and handle bigger bumps as well as allow you to go faster over the same bumps.
Sweet ride Jason!! I called GC yesterday and ordered the kit for the KYB AGX's and they said they would work. He also said that the perch on the AGX was removable but not removable on the regular KYB. I pulled one out when I got home last night and it is removable. I also told him that I heard they were prone to leaving the bearings and wrench out of the kits, and he said he would make sure that the full kit was packaged. I will post some detailed pics of the install after I receive them and have time to install them (new baby and 12-14hr days at work make it hard to get much done). Just cant wait to get them in and on the ride now. Thanks for your help Jason.

Rob
Old 04-05-2005, 12:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I figured I'd stay out of this... But do I dare ask what spring rates you chose? Because when you don't know or specify, you get what they think it right. While they are nice parts, GC tends to miss the boat on the spring rates. I know that in past I heard how wrong I was, and a year later they were suddenly putting in rates similar to what I order.... That's Ground Control for you.

Also, KYB's aren't as good a shock as a Koni for instance, and I will not run the same spring rates for the AGX as I would on a Koni. And what rates I'd run would be predicated by a talk about you, the car and the parts on the car. Bet you didn't get that from Ground Control either.

I use their products. It works. But the knowledge I feel is lacking as the service. That's why I get involved and so many don't buy directly. Some folks here mentioned that, I hope you don't get caught out.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Ground Control coilovers worth it??