Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Different way to adjust parking brake.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Different way to adjust parking brake.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7350286_adju...98-camaro.html

Anyone try this before? Seems like a bizarre shortcut to me.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought they were self adjusting.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
I thought they were self adjusting.
I think only 02's are, or maybe 01-02's. My 00' isn't.

andddd

This adjustment is applicable to Camaros with drum brakes, such as the '98 Camaro
I don't know how those adjustments work, but it sounds interesting. Mine needs adjustment, never really used it when the car was auto but now that it's a 6 speed it's getting annoying having to pull it all the way up every time I park, if it's not at it's max it doesn't do much on steep hills
Old 12-05-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
I don't know how those adjustments work, but it sounds interesting. Mine needs adjustment, never really used it when the car was auto but now that it's a 6 speed it's getting annoying having to pull it all the way up every time I park, if it's not at it's max it doesn't do much on steep hills
didn't notice that. I need to do mine too which is why this caught my eye. It's a pain in the neck.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I believe that article is not correct. Anyone can post anything on the web. If you find the magical "nut" in the center tunnel, please post a pic. I haven't verified for myself, but I'm pretty sure its not there. (On different types of cars, it is.)

This system is a special design that is NOT self adjusting: http://www.pbr.com.au/technology/parkbrakes.shtml The nature of this design - with the single shoe - is such that you wouldn't want to adjust the the cable. If the adjustment were in the cable (like other models of cars with different mechanisms) then the cable would be under constant tension and stress. (The shoe essentially has a spring built in to it.) When adjusting at the wheels, the brake shoe force is held by the mechanism and the cable is relaxed.

With normal use (ie: not driving the car with the parking brake on) the brakes should only need to be adjusted when the rear rotors are replaced. If the car slips - this is probably because the brakes were not adjusted for new rotors at some point.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wssix99
I believe that article is not correct. Anyone can post anything on the web. If you find the magical "nut" in the center tunnel, please post a pic. I haven't verified for myself, but I'm pretty sure its not there. (On different types of cars, it is.)

This system is a special design that is NOT self adjusting: http://www.pbr.com.au/technology/parkbrakes.shtml The nature of this design - with the single shoe - is such that you wouldn't want to adjust the the cable. If the adjustment were in the cable (like other models of cars with different mechanisms) then the cable would be under constant tension and stress. (The shoe essentially has a spring built in to it.) When adjusting at the wheels, the brake shoe force is held by the mechanism and the cable is relaxed.

With normal use (ie: not driving the car with the parking brake on) the brakes should only need to be adjusted when the rear rotors are replaced. If the car slips - this is probably because the brakes were not adjusted for new rotors at some point.
Yeah, I think you missed Creeper's post where he pointed out that the article is intended for drum brake Camaros. It doesn't work. I missed it in the ehow link too.

You are right. This system does not self-adjust when you replace the rotors. Mine currently don't hold the car completely when I pull it all the way up. I did a quick few turns at the little wheel in the parking brake system but it didn't help any. I just didn't have the time then to fully adjust it, so I just did a few turns on each side and hoped for the best while the wheels were off. I plan on getting new brakes soon anyway, so I won't bother just yet.

Personally, I hate our parking brake system. It's a pain in the neck. I wish they integrated a better adjustment system into it.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Mine has it and that's the way I was taught how to adjust the ebrake. just tighten the cable.. But be sure the "Drum" isn't low wear. Mine pulls up way too far. I gotta get under there and adjust it soon.

Quick Reply: Different way to adjust parking brake.