Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New hub/bearings or rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 98 TA bone stock. Just bought it friday. WHen I took it for a test drive I noticed that when I get up to 50-70 when turning slightly to the right I can hear a hummin and feel vibration in the lower left of the steering wheel.

I know it needs new rotors too since it pulses when braking, but could the rotors cause that vibration/humming or is just the bearings. While driving a straight line it drives awsome and it doenst do when turning left but as soon as you turn the wheel even slightly to the right you can hear and feel it.

The car also has 98000 on it which im assuming everything is orginal on it

I also forgot to mention that it only does it at highway speeds. Lower speeds are just fine.

Thanks for any info

I was out driving it today and it started makin a clunking noise in the rear end. I know this isnt the right place to post this but I was wondering if it was somehow related and didnt want to make a double post. The rear end pops when coming to a dead stop like at a red light or stop sign. Also when making a right turn from a stop it kinda pops but you cant really notice it unless the radio is off. Its got an A4 in it. Could it possibly be the rear end making all the vibration when at crusing speed?

I said in my last post that the virbration only happens at crusing speeds, but its actually doing it at lower speeds too. Just not as noticable
Old 02-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced both front wheel hubs/bearings on my car. 93xxxx miles. It was very easy to do. Mine was doing the same thing. Vibration, turn one direction slightly and you could feel it kinda tick, tick, tick. When braking it also felt like I needed rotors, alot of shudder. Must have just been the assembly shaking because of the bad bearings on the right side because I have none of it now. Nice and smooth.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Is there a right up on how to do it. I have been searching and used the search button but nothing really pops up about it
Old 02-13-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you look at a picture of the hub online you will see that there are four or three bolts forgot which. You take them out and usually needs some persuaion to get the hub out and thats it. Very easy to replace.

As for the clunking. Could be bad bushing in the shocks tops, lower contral arms, panhard or a common sway bar link bushing.

in that case if you want to stay stock or you can go with UMI's lca and phb kit for 134. and the links are cheap as well. If you still have the original orange a/c delco shocks can swap them to. All very very easy to do.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
if you look at a picture of the hub online you will see that there are four or three bolts forgot which. You take them out and usually needs some persuaion to get the hub out and thats it. Very easy to replace.

As for the clunking. Could be bad bushing in the shocks tops, lower contral arms, panhard or a common sway bar link bushing.

in that case if you want to stay stock or you can go with UMI's lca and phb kit for 134. and the links are cheap as well. If you still have the original orange a/c delco shocks can swap them to. All very very easy to do.

The clunking does while its down shifting into first when im stopping. So one or all of those things would contribute to this or is it more rear diff related?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Take the wheels off, remove the brake calipers, make sure you tie them up with something so they don't dandle from the lines, pull the brake rotor. There are four bolts on the backside of the bearing/hub, if I remember right, they are 13mm. Take the bolts out and remove the hub. You might need a rubber mallet to break it loose, but mine came right out.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Also - very important! Unplug the wheel sensor (on the back of the hub) before you start removing the hub.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bstuby
I was out driving it today and it started makin a clunking noise in the rear end. I know this isnt the right place to post this but I was wondering if it was somehow related and didnt want to make a double post. The rear end pops when coming to a dead stop like at a red light or stop sign. Also when making a right turn from a stop it kinda pops but you cant really notice it unless the radio is off. Its got an A4 in it. Could it possibly be the rear end making all the vibration when at crusing speed?

I said in my last post that the virbration only happens at crusing speeds, but its actually doing it at lower speeds too. Just not as noticable
The clunking sounds like it could be your u-joints. Does it make a thunk noise when you go from park to D and back? An imbalanced brake rotor can cause vibration similar to an out of balance wheel, but that is not likely to develop over time. I would inspect the control arm bushings and ball joints while you're in there. Brake judder under application is a sign of "warped" rotors.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Brakemotive
The clunking sounds like it could be your u-joints. Does it make a thunk noise when you go from park to D and back? An imbalanced brake rotor can cause vibration similar to an out of balance wheel, but that is not likely to develop over time. I would inspect the control arm bushings and ball joints while you're in there. Brake judder under application is a sign of "warped" rotors.

No.. not that I have noticed. The clunk only does it when Im slowing down coming to a stop prob from 15 mph to 0 when its downshifting into first I hear a clunk and can feel iit in the rear end. It also clunks about 2 or 3 times while Im turning to right.

Im replacing the differential fluid right now so Im going to see if that helps out any

Quick Reply: New hub/bearings or rotors