Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which Torque Arm for Street / Strip / Autocross ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Which Torque Arm for Street / Strip / Autocross ?

I'd like to see a detailed discussion of the various types of torque arms and how they function, with emphasis on which torque arms perform best on the street, strip, and autocross . . . Vehicle details below.

I am curious about long vs. short vs. "uncoupled" designs (unbalanced engineering) for use on my car which is daily driven, run at the strip, and driven in mild autocross events occasionally . . .

Primarily, it is street driven . . . 2000 Formula Hardtop, LS3 (cam) swap, Kooks SS 1 7/8" headers w/ Magnaflow for now, 4L80E swap, Yank 3400 lock-up, Strange S60 rearend w/3.73 gears & Truetrac .

Thanks, in advance, for your help !

Dave F.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

This is just my opinion from reading on here and talking to Sam. I would say a long style and relocate the arm off the trans.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
This is just my opinion from reading on here and talking to Sam. I would say a long style and relocate the arm off the trans.
Hi,

Thanks for your input. That is kind of what I have been thinking up to this point.

I am very curious about the Unbalanced Engineering "De-Coupled" setup . . .

Dave F.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

go with a Long-style (short is used for drag racing and will not have the proper weight transfer for autoX). also mount the TQ arm off the transmission. I run a BMR long TQ Arm and BMR TQ Arm tunnel-mount relocation bracket
Old 03-12-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
go with a Long-style (short is used for drag racing and will not have the proper weight transfer for autoX). also mount the TQ arm off the transmission. I run a BMR long TQ Arm and BMR TQ Arm tunnel-mount relocation bracket

^What he said. I'm basically running the same setup, I'm just using UMI parts instead of BMR. Handles well and still has good forward bite.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

iv got a used slp adjustable torque arm for sale in the classifieds right now for $250 shipped to your door, might not be what your looking for but figured i throw it out there.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
iv got a used slp adjustable torque arm for sale in the classifieds right now for $250 shipped to your door, might not be what your looking for but figured i throw it out there.
Thanks for the "heads-up" on the SLP TA . . .

Dave
Old 03-13-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been looking at UMI products a lot, especially their "off-road" K-Member.

As for Torque Arms, I am trying to stay away from Spohn & BMR because I have heard they are difficult to work around with long-tube headers on the car.

From what I have heard so far, a long TA, located off the tranny tail sounds like the way to go . . .

However, I am still very curious about the Unbalanced Engineering "de-coupled TA and how it would react in daily street-driving, with sudden stops, rapid acceleration and high-speed cornering all being typical of road/traffic conditions, compared to a long TA setup . . .

As for "autocross", it might only be a once or twice a year thing, as this is a daily-driver, with emphasis on handling and "stoplight to stoplight" action !

Dave
Old 03-13-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=ez2cdave;14632143].

As for Torque Arms, I am trying to stay away from Spohn & BMR because I have heard they are difficult to work around with long-tube headers on the car.

[QUOTE]

huh? how so?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=stroked383HSR;14632196][QUOTE=ez2cdave;14632143].

huh? how so?
Hi,

In this thread . . . http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/su...torque-vs.html

Post #2 & #4

Dave
Old 03-14-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ez2cdave
However, I am still very curious about the Unbalanced Engineering "de-coupled TA and how it would react in daily street-driving, with sudden stops, rapid acceleration and high-speed cornering all being typical of road/traffic conditions, compared to a long TA setup . . .
a decoupled TA is the only TA worth anything for handling. anything else wont make a difference. its not easy to set up, and costs at least $700.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

I'd really like to setup that decoupled torque arm. Though it looks like it might be a pain from reading about all the FRRAX peoples' experiences.

Sounds like you don't really have a competitive setup for autocross, so you could just go into that to have a good time and put a short arm on there to give yourself a really good launch. Street doesn't matter
Old 03-14-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

The UMI arm mounted off of the tranny is a nice set up. The arm will make a difference on the street handling and braking. The stronger arm will help keep the rear end from walking around and help transfer weight to the front better for braking. Getting any arm off the tranny is the most important thing you can do. it eliminates another place(tranny bushing) for the arm to move with out transfering forces.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:12 PM
BS
Launching!

What about the Global West Tracklink?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
The UMI arm mounted off of the tranny is a nice set up. The arm will make a difference on the street handling and braking. The stronger arm will help keep the rear end from walking around and help transfer weight to the front better for braking. Getting any arm off the tranny is the most important thing you can do. it eliminates another place(tranny bushing) for the arm to move with out transfering forces.
Thanks for the input. I think the long UMI TA, mounted off the transmission sounds like the best way for me to go, at least at first.

While the Unbalanced Engineering decoupled TA sounds interesting, I think it wiser for me to hold off and "read the mail" about it for a while .

Thanks,

Dave
Old 03-14-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BS
I don't know anything about those, at all . . . Anyone have more info ?

Dave
Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 PM
BS
Launching!

I just found this:

http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/part4.htm

"Popular with autocrossers, road racers and drag racers is Global West Suspension's "TracLink" assembly (PN TSC-23). It alters rear geometry such that its leverage point moves to a more optimum location. Drive-torque-induced tire loading changes from negative to positive improving traction during acceleration, both straight line and out of turns. What's more, TracLink eliminates wheel hop and has a pinion angle adjustment. Finally, of interest to drag racers required to add a driveshaft loop, the mounting points for that are built into the TracLink.
Global West markets this product mainly for V8 cars, but the kit for a 3rd Gen V8/automatic Camaro, also, fits a 4th Gen V6. The installation requires removal of the left rear seat cushion, drilling some holes in the left rear seat well and one hole in the transmission mount crossmember. Other than that, TracLink is a bolt-on for all 4th Gens.
Like some racing-derived performance enhancements, this one has compromises for road cars. When it comes to noise, TracLink is not for the faint-hearted because, since it dispenses with the large rubber isolator at the front end of the torque beam, powertrain noise and vibration in the interior increases. We totally want the Global West TracLink's positive affect on acceleration and handing, so we'll take the noise, however, those expecting Camaros with modified suspensions to have interior noise-and-vibes levels the same as or close to stock should carefully consider this product."
Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I looked at Global West's website and was confused about their TA's for Auto's . . .

They have the TSC-23, TSC-26, & TSC-27, but their website does not give any information about their specific applications.

Is there a different one for TH 350/400, 700R4 / 4L60E, & 4L80E ?

I am changing over to a 4L80E, Yank 3000 rpm converter, Strange Chrome-Moly driveshaft & yoke ( 1350's ), and a Strange S60 rearend w/3.73's . . .

Dave
Old 03-15-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BS
From what I've read and heard, its like some body with a BFH hitting the under side of the car.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For a street car and handling we always recommend the longer full length torque arm. This type of set up helps to reduce brake hop and traction of the vehicle. The shorter tunnel mounted arms have been found to induce brake hop. Part # 2205 is the UMI # we recommend and I posted a link below. If you have any questions please ask.

www.umiperformance.com/2205

I hope this helps!
Ryan

Quick Reply: Which Torque Arm for Street / Strip / Autocross ?