Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Best rotors/pads for F-body

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Best rotors/pads for F-body

I found out all my rotors are cracked from heat.

I need 4 new ones and pads.

I am stuck between going with a cheap summit cross drilled and slotted rotor and Hawk HP pads, or going with all EBC rotor/pad combo or a power slot rotor and Hawk HP pad or EBC pad.

I am also throwing around the idea of just replacing the stockers with EBC's replacement rotors which are a 1/2 the price and then going with a good EBC pad or Hawk pad.

What do you guys think? I cross posted this in the brake section also, just figured it would get more traffic here.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am replacing mine with a Power Stop Brake kit for $295 from autoanything. Cross-drilled and slotted with the carbon ceramic pads. I can PM you the link if you would like.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with a set of ebay rotors after researching a little. Ask/search around here and other LS sites about R1 Concepts. They put out a good product for a good price and their rotors are non directional so you can mount them however you like, I installed mine a few months back and am very satisfied with the performance. These are on my DD Trans Am, for pads I went with Duralast ceramic golds because I've always used these without issue. The rotors I got as a full set for about $120 shipped, there was a sale going at the time so I jumped on it,(pretty much free shipping). I went with slotted rotors since I DD the car and really like the simple look. Here's a few pics dring install. But if you are really stuck between the Sumits/EBC's/Powerslots, I would get the Powerslots-Hawks combo. When I was shopping around I found this combo had great reviews, hopefully some road race dude will chime in, they seem to have the best input on this type question.

Name:  NewRotorIntall.jpg
Views: 3188
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  NewRotors3.jpg
Views: 3145
Size:  64.5 KB
Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06

I am also throwing around the idea of just replacing the stockers with EBC's replacement rotors which are a 1/2 the price and then going with a good EBC pad or Hawk pad.
I would go for that and the Hawk HPS pads. best price / performance IMO.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Banned

Napa Ultra Premium rotors and Hawk HPS pads. tried and true. DONE!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Try Brakemotive rotors with Hawk HPS pads...I have had this set up on my car for about 6 months and it is great. I also had the rotors on my old 98 with bendix pads and it was almost as good just the Hawk pads are far superior to bendix. Brakemotive was running a special awhile back for 160.00 for all four rotors and front and rear pads. thats what I did.......
Old 07-08-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cookba
Napa Ultra Premium rotors and Hawk HPS pads. tried and true. DONE!
I got one of the cross drill and sloted rotor kits and now I've really got to let the brakes cool down between runs. I'm about ready to replace the front rotors with what this person recommended to you from the NAPA store. I believe replacing my fronts and leaving the cross drilled/slotted ones on the back is the way to go. Now if your just going to daily drive your car then the slot kits the way to go. But if your going to run at the track you might want to think about it.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the responses so far guys, I posted this in the brake section and it seems that everyone has a set opinion that drilled rotors really don't do anything except boost looks. I am leaning towards the EBC stock replacements and Hawk HP pads. Cheapest and seems to be the most tried and true combo that works.

Although I still have my mind open on slotted rotors if I can find something that says slotted rotors will help.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...rotors-all-4-/

What do you guys think about these?
Old 07-08-2011, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...ices-ever.html
i just got these for 165.00 shipped to my door. hers some pics of the rears on the car.Name:  photo16.jpg
Views: 3120
Size:  84.0 KB
Old 07-08-2011, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

That's all four rotors and pads.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Nice, that's a good deal for all 4. I don't think 199.99 for the black ones I posted is bad either. I think I am going to order them tomorrow, and try to have them here Tuesday so I can get them on for F-body Beach Bash Thursday!

Do any of you guys run a 15" wheel and have clearanced your brakes before? My car supposedly has had 15" wheels on it before and the fronts have been clearanced already.

The wheels I bought supposedly fit the front with no mods, but the rears I have no clue. Any thoughts? They are summit drag thrusts and the guy I bought them from said they were correct bs to run without mods. I don't know if that's even possible with a 12" rotor, but I guess we will see tomorrow when we try to put them on.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Go with Brakemotive!! You won't be disappointed!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by +badss+
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...ices-ever.html
i just got these for 165.00 shipped to my door. hers some pics of the rears on the car.
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/t...SS/photo16.jpg
Just got the same setup from brakemotive and am extremely happy with the quality and price!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

well you can tell if the rears were clearenced already if they had weld pro stars/draglites on the car before. or look at the fronts of the rear calipers see if they have been filed down. billet specialties street lights fit no grinding and weld rts is supposed to fit no grinding. hope that helps some.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

**** you guys now I'm going to have to check this out now....
Old 07-08-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thumbs up

damn, those brakemotives look beefy for their price.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by +badss+
well you can tell if the rears were clearenced already if they had weld pro stars/draglites on the car before. or look at the fronts of the rear calipers see if they have been filed down. billet specialties street lights fit no grinding and weld rts is supposed to fit no grinding. hope that helps some.
Car is at my mechanics shop. I should have it back tomorrow. All that has to be done is wiring my two step to my momentary switch and transbrake to momentary switch and see if these wheels will fit.

So I can't check myself, but I will tomorrow.

Hell I haven't seen the car personally in over month now, I've been waiting on this damn transmission to be built. Finally got it back today, and found out yesterday all my rotors were cracked.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been doing a lot of research on this, and what I've found is the the best performance seems to come with blank rotors with a quality pad.

Anything slotted and/or drilled is basically just for looks.

Slots wear the pads a little quicker, and drilled rotors have a very good chance of cracking with hard use.

I actually found a brake mfg. that says right on thier website (I think it was brembo) that they do not recommend slotted/drilled for track use.

I ran a pair of Summit slotted/drilled rotors on the front my Jeep for a few years, and while they did not crack, they didn't make any difference in stopping feel over the OEM style rotors. Also, th Performance Friction pads I was running ate the hell out of the rotors, they wore them down almost to the bottom of the slots, and left a big lip around the outer edge of the rotor. In fact I failed the state vehicle inspection because of them, even though there was plenty of meat left on the pads, the PITA failed it for the rotors. Plus the rotors looked horrible, the slots looked like rusty grooves across the rotor face.

I replaced them with autozone blanks and pads, stopping power was greatly improved.

That said, I plan on going with the Brakemotive deal, and am pretty sure I'm going with blanks. I looked around, and I can't beat that deal anywhere else, even if I go with the 25 dollar clearance Brembo front blanks from summit. Adding rear rotors and pads still bring the price higher than 165.

Honestly I can't imagine how brakemotive is able to offer that deal, PLUS free shipping, and make any money.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
I've been doing a lot of research on this, and what I've found is the the best performance seems to come with blank rotors with a quality pad.

Anything slotted and/or drilled is basically just for looks.

Slots wear the pads a little quicker, and drilled rotors have a very good chance of cracking with hard use.

I actually found a brake mfg. that says right on thier website (I think it was brembo) that they do not recommend slotted/drilled for track use.

I ran a pair of Summit slotted/drilled rotors on the front my Jeep for a few years, and while they did not crack, they didn't make any difference in stopping feel over the OEM style rotors. Also, th Performance Friction pads I was running ate the hell out of the rotors, they wore them down almost to the bottom of the slots, and left a big lip around the outer edge of the rotor. In fact I failed the state vehicle inspection because of them, even though there was plenty of meat left on the pads, the PITA failed it for the rotors. Plus the rotors looked horrible, the slots looked like rusty grooves across the rotor face.

I replaced them with autozone blanks and pads, stopping power was greatly improved.

That said, I plan on going with the Brakemotive deal, and am pretty sure I'm going with blanks. I looked around, and I can't beat that deal anywhere else, even if I go with the 25 dollar clearance Brembo front blanks from summit. Adding rear rotors and pads still bring the price higher than 165.

Honestly I can't imagine how brakemotive is able to offer that deal, PLUS free shipping, and make any money.
It is an awesome deal. I guess when you buy as much as they do at once your cost goes way down.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Car is at my mechanics shop. I should have it back tomorrow. All that has to be done is wiring my two step to my momentary switch and transbrake to momentary switch and see if these wheels will fit.

So I can't check myself, but I will tomorrow.

Hell I haven't seen the car personally in over month now, I've been waiting on this damn transmission to be built. Finally got it back today, and found out yesterday all my rotors were cracked.
i know how you feel.

Quick Reply: Best rotors/pads for F-body