Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni Sport Off Car Adj. (rears)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Koni Sport Off Car Adj. (rears)

I'm looking to redo my springs and shocks this winter. (Bilstein & Eibach )

I'm going to do Strano & Konis. I'm looking at the Koni Sport Off Car Adjustables and I'm wondering if anyone here runs them and what is the setting they've found to be the most comfortable.

This is for a Street car BTW, very rare track time and a full stereo setup which means some extra weight in the back.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm running konis 4/3 on stock springs right now. I have the settings in the middle for both the front and back. Car is just a fun cruiser and I love the way it handles. Now lowering springs you might wanna back off just a little less suspension travel. I like a little harsher ride than most so it doesn't bother me. Hopefully I'll get some stranos for Xmas
Old 12-01-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also interested in this too. I have an 01 WS6 with eibachs on the stock shocks and its too soft for me.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I'm looking to redo my springs and shocks this winter. (Bilstein & Eibach )

I'm going to do Strano & Konis. I'm looking at the Koni Sport Off Car Adjustables and I'm wondering if anyone here runs them and what is the setting they've found to be the most comfortable.

This is for a Street car BTW, very rare track time and a full stereo setup which means some extra weight in the back.
Ive run them on full soft and +1 from full soft (out of 4 total settings: 0, 20%, 50%,100%) and full soft is the most comfortable I've found with either stock springs or Strano springs.
1 up from full soft is certainly not harsh by any means, but the rear becomes more "busy" (best way I can describe it) and you feel the road imperfections more, but the rear responds quicker too.
Don't let the term "full soft" confuse you though, that doesn't mean its really soft, its just its lowest dampening setting, its still more firm and way more responsive than something like the decarbon shocks. Same applys to the front shocks as well, full soft doesn't mean the most comfortable setting, (this is definitely not what Ive found, I prefer a little higher than the middle setting - but thats the front).
Old 12-01-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Veteran

^ the front has a bit more weight to throw around. Mine is bottoming out when I hit a big enough dip in the road. The whole suspension system is just in dire need of a redo. Already have the strano front sway, getting the back sway soon, then Koni's and Strano springs. I want the higher rate for the back because of my added weight of the stereo equipment. -Vs Hotchkis.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

How much more weight do you have? It's probably not that much more to be significant enough to require a higher springrate in the back.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Well, I'm getting the Strano springs because of the higher rear spring rate. It was that or Hotchkis, but the Strano rates seem to have a better balance. The hotchkis are higher in the front but soft in the rear when Stranos are a little softer in the front and a tad (10lbs) harder out back.. Seems like they would handle weight transfer a lot better and not be so harsh up front.

And it may be 60lbs. A heavy dual 12" box, dual 12's and three amps. Plus DynaMat.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

My springs are stiffer than Hotchkis at both ends. FYI.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html

Hotchkis are progressive and go up to 525 front and rear up to 140. Stranos are 550 front and 150 rear pretty much linear. Except for a low rate that completely compresses except for when it holds the rear in place at full axle drop
Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

have the 4/3 koni's and have had both old and new bmr's in the back, and for DD the full soft is my favorite. half the fun is trying each setting though, and i found you dont have to take them completely off to change the setting, i let the rear suspension decompress, then jam the ramps under the wheels, and unbolt the shocks to get enough play to press the ball and change the setting. i will also second JM AMG in the second setting is "busier", and the 100% setting is just sick, wishing autocross track was closer...
Old 04-02-2012, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I know this thread is a few months old, but I just wanted to add that "full soft" when combined with Hypercoil springs, is not too much different than KYB AGX's set to 7, aside from the Konis keeping the car much more composed (better overall dampening). With the old KYB AGX's, the car would hit the bump stops if I hit a dip or did aggressive cornering maneuvers. Now it takes much more force to hit the bump stops, at full soft with the Konis. I will probably bring the Konis up one or two clicks to better match the springs, but full soft is actually very comfortable, composed, and seems stiffer than stock or my old KYB AGX setup.

Quick Reply: Koni Sport Off Car Adj. (rears)