Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Energy Suspension Bushing kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Energy Suspension Bushing kit

Thinking bout buying and replacing all the bushings in the car with energy suspensions poly bushing kit. who else has done this and is it better than replacing with new rubber bushings. mine are badly worn/cracked through out car. It is a dd and I know the poly will squek when colder but what are other differences?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey NicB.

Polyurethane bushings have been the go-to performance upgrade for years.

To summarize (since you already know they potentially can squeak), by removing the rubber and replacing it with polyurethane the handling is improved due to decreased variation in suspension location. The poly's hold the suspension basically where the factory intended. Rubber bushings trade compliance and reduced harshness for accuracy.

Squeaking can be reduced or eliminated by proper greasing upon installation and occasional maintenance.

One super-critical trick is to apply anti-seize to the fasteners before reinstalling. That way, if you get a squeak you can easily remove the fastener and regrease the bushing. It's always the seized bolt which seems to house the squeaky bushing.

Factory rubber replacement bushings are quiet but don't offer the precision of poly.

ramey
Old 12-22-2011, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

How harsh? My car makes loud thuds and bangs because the bushings are so worn out. Will they perform well on a daily driver? Or will it be like riding on bump stops?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey NicB.

It's hard to quantify but I'd say if your car is currently at 8 out of 10 on the harshness scale, poly's would be a 2 and rubber would be a 1.

You're actually ahead if you realize (which you do) that poly's will be slightly more firm and slightly more noisy than rubber. In my own personal opinion the benefits of better suspension action outweigh the slight noise increase.

ramey
Old 12-22-2011, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for your imput. I can handle alittle noise if i dont feel every little bump in the road like im currently experiencing.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hey NicB.

Polyurethane bushings have been the go-to performance upgrade for years.

To summarize (since you already know they potentially can squeak), by removing the rubber and replacing it with polyurethane the handling is improved due to decreased variation in suspension location. The poly's hold the suspension basically where the factory intended. Rubber bushings trade compliance and reduced harshness for accuracy.

Squeaking can be reduced or eliminated by proper greasing upon installation and occasional maintenance.

One super-critical trick is to apply anti-seize to the fasteners before reinstalling. That way, if you get a squeak you can easily remove the fastener and regrease the bushing. It's always the seized bolt which seems to house the squeaky bushing.

Factory rubber replacement bushings are quiet but don't offer the precision of poly.

ramey
Why not just find some solid brass bushings or use delrin bushings and remove all the "variation"?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

How big of a PITA is it to switch all the bushings?
Old 12-22-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

took me about 10.5 to 11hrs to do the complete energy suspension kit That was on a lift at my old work I love the poly kit so much I pulled it off that car & reinstalled it on my 95 trans am that is my current project Its a more firm ride No squishy feel like rubber Put nitrogen in your tires at the same time & you can really carve corners I upgraded the motor & trans mount on my T/A also Way better than stock rubber crap
Old 12-22-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NicB
How big of a PITA is it to switch all the bushings?
It's a good bit of work but well worth it in my opinion. I replaced all of mine and I just love it. My suggestion would be to buy the Black ones and NOT the Red because they squeak like hell and to buy an extra container of the grease that comes with the kit and use it all.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

I was planning on the black ones. I have a lift in my shop. Do they press in ok or have any other problems i would need to look out for?
Old 12-22-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Some of the bushing go into the old metal casings so you will need one of those cheapo propane torches that can be bought at lowes or home depot. You need to heat them so you can remove the OEM rubber and then clean it out to put in the poly. If you do it correctly you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

awesome. ill be buying kit very soon. thanks everyone

Quick Reply: Energy Suspension Bushing kit