Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What suspension mods would you use to run 9's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Default What suspension mods would you use to run 9's?

I am currently trying to upgrade the suspension, so that i can hook better. I was looking for some ideas that i may not have thought of or something i over looked. I am shooting for 9's this year and need to find the right suspension combo to run the time.
I currently am running
6 Point Roll Cage
Boxed full length subframe connectors
Strange 12 bolt
Boxed Polyuthrene Lower Control Arms ( I would like to upgrade to spechrical)
Ordered- Spohn Pro Series Torque Arm Spechrical
Looking at- Wolfe Racecraft Double Sway Bar
V6 Camaro Springs
BMR Drag Bags

I would like to get some input to improve the rear suspension
Old 01-11-2012, 11:10 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You have some good parts to get you going, but a set of LCA relocator brackets, heim jointed LCA's and panhard bar, anti-roll bar, and maybe most important will be a good set of shocks like what Afco or Strange offer.

Give us a call... we have everything you need in stock, unbeatable prices, and experience to back it all up.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have great LCA's and relocation brackets as well as a nice drag bar. Our 2000 WS6 'vert leaves completely flat and works great. With your 1006HP (yikes!), sounds like you're on the right track.

ramey
Old 01-12-2012, 09:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I just recently set up a nitrous car for a buddy of mine down here that runs constent 9.6x-9.7x. The car has some decent parts but for the most part is pretty simple. On the front of the car he has BMR k-member and Strange single adjustable front shocks with 300lb springs. On the rear he has a BMR Xtreme torque arm, BMR boxed subframe connector, BMR anti-roll bar, BMR weld-in relocation brackets, BMR spherical rod ended panhard rod, BMR spherical rod ended LCA's, and Competition Engineering 3 way adjustable shocks.

The owner of the car says that the car drive straight as an arrow and launches nice and straight. He said the car is actually boring to drive once he gets past the 330ft mark.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:26 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been 1.32 60 in my car and your setup is very similar to mine. Add adj. shocks front/rear and relo brackets and you should be good to go.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you will need a legal cage.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah I have the rest of the cage, I just never welded it in. Sounds like the Seprical LCA and LCA relocations are a need to grab.

I talked with my tuner today and he told me he has installed some of the wolfe racecraft double sway bars that are weld on's to the rear end. He told me they are good for the track and terriable if you ever drive the car on the street....? Any buddy have any expericance with this?

He also told me the adjustable shocks were a must. In all honesty I am not to fimiliar with the adjustable shock market.

Like the idea for a k member in the future also....
Old 01-12-2012, 02:35 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
Yeah I have the rest of the cage, I just never welded it in. Sounds like the Seprical LCA and LCA relocations are a need to grab.

I talked with my tuner today and he told me he has installed some of the wolfe racecraft double sway bars that are weld on's to the rear end. He told me they are good for the track and terriable if you ever drive the car on the street....? Any buddy have any expericance with this?

He also told me the adjustable shocks were a must. In all honesty I am not to fimiliar with the adjustable shock market.

Like the idea for a k member in the future also....
Lower control arm relocations work WONDERS on drag cars.

Some designs tend to be unforgiving on the street. Our new rear sway is a complete bolt-in design and works well on the street while offering the adjustability and stiffness you're looking for at the track for a 9-, 8-, or 7-second car. However, we do suggest you weld the brackets on after a certain point.

In the adjustable shock market the big three are Afco, QA1, and Strange. With Afco being the most expensive and generally the best and the Strange being the cheapest and most simple. Now don't take the simplicity and price scare you away from the Strange shocks, they have propelled many-a-car down the track in sub 9-second range with a shock costing a fraction of the price of an Afco or QA1. I ran QA1 single adjustable and double adjustables on my Camaro and loved them. The car would 60 in the high 1.4X range all day with less than 430rwhp on motor and a 4400 stall.

K-members are a great way to reduce sprung weight and takes it right off the nose.

Let me know if you have any questions.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Man, for the advise. I will defanitley be looking in to the shocks and lower control arm relocation brackets.

Why do the adjustable shocks make such a big differance? weight transfer? squating?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey 99.

Adjustable shocks allow you to control how long it takes for weight to transfer from front to rear to plant the rear tires. If you're lucky enough to sky the front tires they also allow you to control what happens when the car lands.

Keep in mind that adjustable shocks aren't a miracle cure if the rest of the car needs tuning. They're just another piece of the performance puzzle. We have guys going really fast on Monroe's with proper chassis tuning...

ramey
Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you nailed it helps with weight transfer because you can adjust the dampening basicly it will squat faster and wont bounc back as fast if you keep them on the softer settings.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:34 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
Thanks Man, for the advise. I will defanitley be looking in to the shocks and lower control arm relocation brackets.

Why do the adjustable shocks make such a big differance? weight transfer? squating?
Cool man, you're welcome.

Adjustable shocks allow you to place the weight under launch for drag racing. On cars with lower power or crappy, non-racing tires, the gains can be minimal at best. It's really not until you're throwing the car back under acceleration that the adjustable shocks really shine. Under launch the front will want to lift up, this shifts weight to the back of the car. With adjustable shocks, you can command the shocks to extend out and keep that weight planted for as long as possible for your combination. Out back, the car wants to squat down - which is a waste of energy - but the shocks will allow you to tighten things up and push down on the tire sooner, rather than displace through the suspension like a car squatting. When it's all said and done, the car will waste as little energy as possible and transfer it into forward momentum.

That's not to say a regular street car on street tires or 17/18-inch drag radials won't pick up on their short times with them. My friend ran QA1s on his 315/35R17 Nitto 555Rs Camaro and was going 1.55 60s all day...blew my freak-ing mind. haha
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
On the front of the car he has BMR k-member and Strange single adjustable front shocks with 300lb springs. On the rear he has a BMR Xtreme torque arm, BMR boxed subframe connector, BMR anti-roll bar, BMR weld-in relocation brackets, BMR spherical rod ended panhard rod, BMR spherical rod ended LCA's, and Competition Engineering 3 way adjustable shocks.
What spring in the rear did this car have? I'm interested in a similar strange single fronts and comp eng rears, but I have the BMR lowering springs for the rear. Is that fine or do I need to switch it out?

Last edited by nnag; 01-13-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This post is very interesting, My best to date 60ft was only 1.61 with stock shocks and springs. I'm doing the strange setup this race season. I was wondering single adjustable or double? My car is not my DD, track and street warrior car lol.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

most of the time an A4 car can get by with single adjustable, and we will usually push the doubles to the guys with the M6's. if you can get 550-600 at the wheels the basic rear suspension package and a set of shocks will yield 1.4x 60s.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nnag
What spring in the rear did this car have? I'm interested in a similar strange single fronts and comp eng rears, but I have the BMR lowering springs for the rear. Is that fine or do I need to switch it out?
This vehicle actually uses our BMR rear lowering springs. My buddy really didn't want to give up the look of the lowered stance. Here are a few older pictures of the car, the stance is identical to what it is currently. We have quite a few guys running our BMR lowering springs in the back, they like them because they are a bit stiffer than the factory spring which help keeps pressure on the tire.
Attached Thumbnails What suspension mods would you use to run 9's?-gator2.jpg   What suspension mods would you use to run 9's?-gator.jpg  

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: What suspension mods would you use to run 9's?