Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjusting Pinion Angle

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting Pinion Angle

How do you adjust the pinion angle on an Adj. torque arm without a lift? Can I just put the rear end on jackstands?

I have a TA coming in the mail, but no lift to put the car on
Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Anyone? I'm sure someone on here has installed a TA without a lift
Old 04-10-2012, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Nevermind found an answer, but if anyone needs a pinion angle finder, Harbor Freight has them for $4.49

http://www.harborfreight.com/dial-ga...der-34214.html
Old 04-10-2012, 08:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2cat95ta
How do you adjust the pinion angle on an Adj. torque arm without a lift? Can I just put the rear end on jackstands?

I have a TA coming in the mail, but no lift to put the car on
Even though you mentioned finding an answer, you can adjust it with the car on four ramps or four jackstands under the suspension. The suspension should be fully loaded so the car is sitting how it's going to sit when going down the highway.

ramey
Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Even though you mentioned finding an answer, you can adjust it with the car on four ramps or four jackstands under the suspension. The suspension should be fully loaded so the car is sitting how it's going to sit when going down the highway.

ramey
The answer I received was to just put the rear end under jackstands, but this does make sense.

Thank you for the help, I will be buying more UMI in the future.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're welcome.

I'd imagine you could put it just on rear jackstands because what we're looking for is the relationship between driveshaft and pinion with the suspension loaded. It could get a bit confusing as just lifting the rear isn't industry norm but it may work to get you close.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

link to how i did it this past weekend.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...y-tomorow.html
Old 04-20-2012, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mikh338
link to how i did it this past weekend.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...y-tomorow.html
Thanks for the link! I thought about blocks but I think all I have are 2x4s, etc
Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2cat95ta
Thanks for the link! I thought about blocks but I think all I have are 2x4s, etc
its very cheap to go get the rest of the materials, if i were you i would build the blocks. they blocks themselves are 14" tall, then the car sits on top of them so much more room. it made my buddy that helped me very happy as well having all that room. keeps the suspension loaded etc...they were a lifesaver, and will make my headers\motor mount install so much easier. if you do build these blocks tho, if you are using regular softwood 2x4s from lowes, home depot etc...make sure you reinforce the bottoms like i did. you are supposed to use hardwood 2x4s for this but they are crazy expensize so i just added more support
Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mikh338
its very cheap to go get the rest of the materials, if i were you i would build the blocks. they blocks themselves are 14" tall, then the car sits on top of them so much more room. it made my buddy that helped me very happy as well having all that room. keeps the suspension loaded etc...they were a lifesaver, and will make my headers\motor mount install so much easier. if you do build these blocks tho, if you are using regular softwood 2x4s from lowes, home depot etc...make sure you reinforce the bottoms like i did. you are supposed to use hardwood 2x4s for this but they are crazy expensize so i just added more support
My parents driveway had enough steepness that I put the front end on flat concrete then the back on the driveway sloping down then when I lifted the rear up it was close to level, I figured this way worked good, but I got the inspiration from your blocks

Quick Reply: Adjusting Pinion Angle