Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

newb needs help! lower car, suspension upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default newb needs help! lower car, suspension upgrade questions

Hey everyone. I'm a complete newb when it comes to suspension mods / upgrades. I started reseaching on here and have a lot more to do but was hoping for some guidance in doing so. Here goes:

I recently put 18"x9.5" OE c6 z06 replicas on the trans am. 285s in front 295s in rear...the wheels have a 40mm offset. I love how they look but didn't realize how much the ride height would change...also the fender gap.

I want to lower since I'm thinking its way too much gap and have been reading about the mods, rear hose lower perch etc.. Later Ill post pictures of the gap and ride height and hopefully someone could guide me towards how much to lower it / which route to pick to do that and the side effects of doing it.

What concerns me is I want to lower it but I don't want to lose ride quality / handling. I'm in staten island NY, the roads are crap. I don't want to bottom out on every manhole cover/pothole. If anything I want to upgrade it since I'm less than thrilled with the ride comfort of the stock setup 80,000 miles later. I have a decent budget set aside but I want to make sure I'm doing it RIGHT. When all is said and done, I want to feel an improvement. Is the way to accomplish that by using Koni SA's, Bilsteins or the Edelbrocks shocks?

Any advice or input would help a lot. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Good choice on the 18"s. 315/35zr17" tires are getting choice limited. GSD3 Eagles are on perpetual backorder. Go with Koni or SLP HD and Strano springs and you will not be disappointed. 4th Gens have very little room for shock damping at stock ride height, and it's even less lowered. That why your only long-lasting solution is Koni or the Bilstein SLP HDs. I did the Bilsteins and Strano set-up as Koni were backordered when I did mine. I've driven to Long Island many times so I know what you mean about being able to live with it.

Cowpunk
Old 04-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Teching In

thanks Cowpunk. do you think just the shocks and heater hose mod will be enough or do you think I should do lowering springs? will that affect the ride, even if paired with Koni's or Bilsteins?

What else should I do while I have it apart. I read a lot about changing the subframe connectors. Also the LCA and swaybar?
Old 04-13-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need an adjustable panhard bar, shocks, and lowering springs. Subframe connectors will def help and so will LCA relocation brackets. Koni are good shocks. Billsteins are a good budget shock. I have them on my car.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jpr884
thanks Cowpunk. do you think just the shocks and heater hose mod will be enough or do you think I should do lowering springs? will that affect the ride, even if paired with Koni's or Bilsteins?

What else should I do while I have it apart. I read a lot about changing the subframe connectors. Also the LCA and swaybar?
I think with the 295mm width rears you can wait on the panhard bar. I have one that I haven't installed yet. I'm running 315's and I do get some rubbing during hard driving. I haven't done the BFH mod either. Do you just want to lower the rear? I guess HH mod and shocks would get you by, but you will not be satisfied with the stance. Adding SFC's will be my next mod. With your driving conditions, do you want to keep adding rigidity?

CP
Old 05-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Teching In

hey guys, hoping to resurrect the thread. sorry i haven’t responded further. car has been down a while. starter went and took half the mounting boss with it. found someone to weld the broken piece back on my block tomorrow, hoping it works out.

anyway, getting back to the suspension. I think im set on konis with lowering springs. I've been reading and it seems that LCA's relocation brackets and an adjustable panhard rod are also pretty important. Is this the general consensus? Do I need to replace the current lower control arms with new ones, and install the relocation brackets? Also what about replacing the sway bars? Anything else I might be missing? Thanks

Also cowpunk, your right. I definitely don't want to add rigidity considering the road conditions so should I stay away from the SFC's?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Save your money. Do the springs, shocks, and strut mounts first. See how it does with your driving conditions. You can get to the LCA's & panhard easy enough later. I have always heard that SFC's reduce rattles & squeaks, which may be something you may want to consider for NY metro driving. The offset is some increased rigidity. Check your sway bar end links and bushings first. Make sure some genius hasn't over-tightened them: a common mistake.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Dont know why you are trying to steer the OP away from a PHB when he is asking about lowering his car. He needs it to keep his rear centered. OP - you are on the right track, shocks, springs, phb is a really good start. I think strano is still having a koni sale and it would be a good idea to call him anyway as he is more than willing to talk to you about what you need BEFORE YOU PLACE AN ORDER to make sure you dont buy anything you dont need.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a few sponsors on this forum have shocks and springs on sale .check the sponsor sales section.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Teching In

thanks guys, I will give strano a call.

Quick Reply: newb needs help! lower car, suspension upgrade questions