Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car feels loose when driving experts step in

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Car feels loose when driving experts step in

99 formula , 17inch ws6 rims with new tires. Car is not a ws6 but was made to look like one before i got it . 6 Speed car.

slp 3 point sfcs
bmr extreme chromoly lcas
bmr chromoly adjustable panhard bar
new 275 40 17s all around
new sway bar endlinks from bmr
Bilstein shocks
strano springs

Now when i drive this and doing 50 or 40 and i swerve back and forth left to right fast the car does not feel good at all . My 04 monte with 235s feels better.

Now without being able to give someone a ride what the hell can i look for , When i take a turn with speed it feels like the car is gonna roll over . Only thing i can think is that my sway bars are smaller being that the car is a non ws6 and now with the 275s all around its too much tire for the bars?

Thats the only i dea i have , the car just doesn't feel good . At first i thought it was the brand new tires but they have over 650 miles on them now and shouldn't be greasy from the mold release agent .

It had an alignment last year . Its basically a squirm when doing the left to right and just doesn't feel solid or planted for having suspension mods.

I need help as im not rich and can afford to throw money at it , and i dont know if anyone around me that would know whats going on with the car .

Also when i bought the car is had bald 275s on it so couldnt push it then and when they went i got some rims cheap with 235 55 16s on them or 235 60 so no help there either . Im just outta ideas .
Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

How many miles on your shocks?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

i have no clue , i bought the car used , car has 58k on it currently, had bmrs on it then i switched to the stranos because i thought it had sportlines on it and wanted it raised up a little
Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you already have Strano's (great spring choice) and the sways are probably at least a little bit capable, I'm leaning toward shocks as well. You could upgrade to our 35/22 sways if you verify yours are small. Still, with the proper sways, the car will still pitch and dump on worn shocks.

ramey
Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check to make sure nothing is loose in the suspension. Also check to make sure the wheel studs are in good shape and not loose.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also check and make sure the rear end isn't trying to move on you. (panhard rod)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

ill check under the car and make sure the rims are good , but i know they are was just under there this spring.Ugh i just hate it to be shocks , id rather buy some new sways but if my shocks are **** .what about getting them rebuilt . Who does that and whats the turnaround time .
Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Loose as in it rolls around too quickly, right?

Bars would help (they add wheel rate and cut the amount of roll). And here's where the Bilstein's suffer relative to Koni's. Rebound damping controls roll *rate*. Not the amount of it, but the speed of it. And it has such an effect at least a few times a week folks who upgrade the shocks will tell me how their car doesn't roll anymore. Well, not true. With no other changes, it will roll just as much. Just not nearly as quickly and violently, which has the side effect of feeling like you might scrape your mirrors off.

Again, I'm not saying Koni's are for everyone. Bars would certainly help the feeling a lot. You need to really figure out if it's the amount of roll, the rate of the roll, or *both* that you wish to fix.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

okay , my bros 00 hawk with suspension mods , bmr springs and stock 68k miles shocks doesnt do this .

Also i wish i had someone in the area that knew what they were talking about , id like to take someone for a ride , i dont think a video would even help out .
Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, the shocks are different, and that car has a bigger front bar too. Also, it does do it. Shock damping on the rebound size effects roll rate, period. You might not find it bad, I can tell you I'll not like it and think it was too soft. This is the thing with doing setup and diagnosis work. NOT EVERYONE HAS THE SAME IDEA'S. It's why "I read on the internet" makes me want to smash my head on the desk.

What do you guys, as individuals think? That is why I want to talk to you about your feelings, findings and wants... not by e-mail. Joe might find he needs way better shocks, where Frankie needs more swaybar rate, and Billy-Bob wants both.

Understand how the parts work, that's what I seek to get my customer's to understand. Then pick the appropriate part for *YOUR* thoughts.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

What bushings in the LCA's? I hated the poly bushings in mine. When cornering the car it felt like they would build up pressure, give a little hop, and the rear would come around a little more than you thought. Never went anywhere, I just didn't like it. These thinhs are so hard to describe while typing.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
I hated the poly bushings in mine. When cornering the car it felt like they would build up pressure, give a little hop, and the rear would come around a little more than you thought.
If you talk to Global West, they do not recommend poly bushings in both ends of their control arms for this exact reason. Their street control arm actually has a rubber bushing in one end.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

i have poly poly lcas and panhard bar.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you tried lifting the front end of the car in the air and doing the wheel check tests to check for worn ball joints/tie rods?

Lift the front end of the car in the air (safely) and then push/pull (twist towards and away from you) the left and right side of a front tire. It should have little to no slack at all. Then push/pull the top and bottom of the tire. It should have no slack at all.

If there is a noticeable amount of slack in the left-right test, it could indicate a bad tie rod (steering) If the top-bottom test has slack, it could indicate a bad ball joint or a bad wheel hub (although, wheel hubs usually make noises when they go bad).
Old 05-08-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 95 camaro has the same issue.
When your going down the highway at 60-80 under throttle and let off the car wants to 'shake' softly like its really loose. Im betting my shocks/struts are worn.

Let us know what you find!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where are you loacted in upstae NY? I know a lot of race car shops north of Syracuse area. Some of them could help you out, let me know man.

Quick Reply: Car feels loose when driving experts step in