Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upgrading Suspension Whats best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Suspension Whats best?

well im new to the camaro family and im looking into what brands are good and which ones to avoid. i currently have a 98 camaro with a 3.8L V6 3800 series. i'm basically looking for a new suspension system all together that will lower my car 1-2in also any suggestions? and i even want to get new sway bars and everything. also i will be upgrading to an ls1-ls3 sometime here soon would that play into what suspension i get. Also what are some good shopping sites for camaro parts?
Thanks brady
Old 05-19-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

A quick search will yield you answers to all of your questions.

Sites I use for parts are texas-speed.com, ws6store.com, marylandspeed.com, etc.

As far as suspension, there are tons of options out there. It really all depends on what you want to do with your car and how much you are looking to spend.

For a drag setup, I would look into either Strange or QA1 shocks. If you're wanting a shock that will perform well on the street and handle nicely, Koni makes the best you can purchase for these cars. Bilsteins are a nice shot for a little less money.

Check out stranoparts.com . Sam strano is a multi time world champion in SCCA, several of his championships being won behind the wheel of an ls1 fbody. I order all of my suspension parts through him and will continue to do so in the future. Great costumer service. Contact him with any question you have and he will be more than happy to help you out.

I would wait until you do the engine swap to do most of your suspension. Reason being you will need a different spring rate than with your current v6. UMI sells a nice k member that you can purchase that will accomadate the ls1 or whatever you intend to drop in.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:08 PM

i will wait to get the suspension im just looking for what kind of brands to look for and where to get them from ill be using my car for drifting so im looking more for coilovers and such
Old 05-19-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Well if coilovers is the route you want to go Strano carries them as well. They are signifigantly more expensive though. I would think you'd be fine with the koni shocks.

Again, contact Sam and tell him what you're going for.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just be warned, KNOW what you want to do with the car (autocross, street, drag, whatever) before talking to him. I've heard that if you call him asking simply what is "best" without knowing what you want it best at he can get rather irritated. Which makes sense, because if you don't have a clear path on where you want to go with the car then saying what's best is impossible.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also call me (Ramey) at UMI for a thorough evaluation of your car and intended use. We can get you fixed up with a full kit or piece-by-piece in the correct order. If you choose to work through Sam Strano, which of course is an excellent choice, he carries our full line.

Have a great weekend.

Ramey
Old 05-20-2012, 02:35 PM

thanks for the response's and for the car im building it for street racing and drifting i will be putting a ls1 into it (once i find one) with the t56. hopefully i can find a donor car for the k member and engine mounts but for now im going to upgrade to the ls1 suspension. im not sure what to look for but i want a low stance and also for to be stiff thats why im thinkin coilovers but im not sure what to look for as of ratings and weight any suggestions? anyone ever seen a 98 camaro built for drifting?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:39 PM
FormerVendor

For drifting I'd put a UMI 2245 drag bar on the rear. Our WS6 car will hang the back end at 85mph throttle-on on exit ramps, long sweepers, etc. fun fun fun...
Old 05-20-2012, 02:56 PM

im actually checking out your site right now. what your suggestion be for front suspension and k-members? if i could i would like to set up a suspension system from one manufactuer and it looks like you guys have everything i would need. anyway we can stay in contact cuz i am currently at AIT for the army and will be upgrading as soon as i get home so im looking for parts in my free time and if i can get it all through one dealer that would save alot of time.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 AM
FormerVendor

We have our road race k-member with additional bracing should you decide you want that rigidity. Our standard 2320 k-member works great as well. There are a ton of lower arm combinations. The 2305 with one poly bushing on the straight portion and a rod end on the strut bar is a nice combination of streetability and competition-ability.

If you're interested in a package quote, hit me at ramey@umiperformance.com with your zip code and I'll work something up.

For a good indication of how a full UMI car looks, check this link: http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo..._page=02camaro

You're not limited to any particular non-UMI parts however. We can do KYB's, Koni's, Strano springs, etc. Whatever you desire.

Thanks for considering UMI.

ramey
Old 05-21-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I've heard that if you call him asking simply what is "best" without knowing what you want it best at he can get rather irritated.
Maybe you or whoever you heard that from just took it the wrong way. I think a lot of people do. Anytime anyone calls an expert for advice its good to toss out the window what they think they know, heard from their buddy, or from some dude on the internet. Because they aren't afraid to tell you you're pretty much wrong, and I think that's when people get offended and take it personally.

This is how it is when you get advice from an expert be it cars or even from college professors.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Not for nothin' but I get "I want it to handle great and ride well" about 25 times a day. No other details really, just that. Well folks, it's like this. If things were that simple, everyone could do it. I will state right here and now for the record that between "I want it to handle great and ride well" and "I read on the internet that...." both want to make me shoot myself.

Not many call and say, hey I want my car to ride like crap. Next to nobody wants to tell me what they think of how their car drives and getting them to tell me is like pulling teeth. I swear I think I know why salesman get the reputation they do. Sometimes it's just easier to tell people what they want to hear. When I don't, I get blasted.

Yeah, I'm the expert but I can't help you without information to know in what direction to head. I'm not a mind-reader. I can't do the "best setup" without knowing what you dislike any more than your doctor can give you pills if they only know you want to feel better and have nothing to base a diagnosis on. Think about it.

And yes, I can be gruff. Comes from being used, getting bitched when I don't have the answer everyone wants the way they want it, running a hugely busy shop 99% alone, on top of the 20 other things that conspire to make me wonder why I bother to try and do the right thing. Sorry. Folks have been here and seen what I do everyday and wonder how I've not had a stroke or heart attack yet. I wonder too and that's only made worse when some take pot-shots. I'm not here to be your best friend. I'm here to help you, sometimes that means hearing things you don't like, or that go against internet wisdom.

What's the best hamburger? What's the best tire? What's the best motor oil? Answer any of those with one brand and no support, and not knowing what specifically I'm looking to get from those things. You can't, can you? Imagine that I do that all day, every day, time and time again.... then catch hell for trying to educate folks and get to the core of what they are seeking parts to remedy.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:33 PM

well since sam stano joined in the convo i guess i will ask what would you suggest for a suspension for a 98 camaro that will be getting a ls1 dropped in and i would like it with a stance like this picture:

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...0267_large.jpg

im looking for minimal movement out of the suspension seeing as how i will be using the car to drift and also to street race a little.
What would you suggest? sorry to be so straight forward but thats the only way to explain what i want.
any suggestions would be nice thanks.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Suspension Whats best?