Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hit pothole durning autocross now steering is bad.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Hit pothole durning autocross now steering is bad.

Did a autocross even on an old go cart track and i hit a pothole or just a hard hit on a bump and now my steering is messed up , the right front is toed in and the camber is top if tire in bottom out . I drove it home no faster than 40 and its way the hell off , i dont see anything wrong with it . Front end is up and rims are off and everything looks good .

Steering wheel is way off , how do i found out what the hell is wrong with it? Im lost .Everyting looks fine, nothing bent or loose .
Old 05-19-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just take it in and get it aligned at a reputable shop. If nothing is bent, just knocked out of whack, they'll be able to put it back where it belongs no problem. If something is bent they'll be able to tell you that too. A harder hit on a pothole or something at the right angle can shift stuff.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Boy I hope it's just out of alignment and that's it. But the steering feels funny. It's like it's easy to steer. And when you get to the point I noticed turning left going in the garage it got to a point and then was easier to turn.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wonked out alignments can cause that.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Potholes can be scary business for sure. Holding an autocross on a course with potholes was not too bright! haha

Did the front of the car sustain the brunt of the hit and was it centralized on one side? You can whack your car out of alignment, albeit uncommon. Usually something will bend, so make sure you inspect every inch of the front suspension, a-arms, shocks, balljoints, and tie rods. I would be surprised something wasn't a little tweaked.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-21-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow some autox course surfaces are "awesome". I love when they throw a pothole in there to dodge
Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Not sure if an actual pothole but a non smooth course. It's an old go kart track. Thanks everyone for the info. Everything looks great I'm gonna set up an appointment for an alignment and hopefully its just that
Old 05-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Teching In

I had something similar happen before(not auto x though) I hit a lip while the front tires were slipping and messed my toe alignment up. The RF pointed in slightly when the wheel was straight. The steering felt light as well. I adjusted the toe out myself slightly to get home from work (30minute drive) and I was taking a left turn and the outer tie rod came out of the socket. Luckily I wasnt going faster than 10 mph bc that RF tire immediately pointed all the way inward. One of my buddies that was catching a ride had to kick the back of the tire the whole time to keep it straight so i could get out of the intersection lol
Old 05-25-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Update to the situation

Just needed an alignment , the bolt on the a arm had moved and changed some things up .

Now experts answer me this , how does this one bolt hold the alignment , this car weights thousands of pounds and one bolt hold the alignment strong , how is that possible .
Old 05-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
Update to the situation

Just needed an alignment , the bolt on the a arm had moved and changed some things up .

Now experts answer me this , how does this one bolt hold the alignment , this car weights thousands of pounds and one bolt hold the alignment strong , how is that possible .
Surface area and friction. They're squeezing against the whole bushing sleeve, remember. Also, the alignment slots aren't in such a direction that the weight of the car is working against holding the alignment...

Only two bolts hold the engine in place while it's churning out 300+ ft lbs of twist. They seem to manage alright though.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep an eye on that wheel bearing too, especially if it starts darting a bit. Similar situation with mine, got progressively worse, but I also run just a touch of outward toe.

Quick Reply: Hit pothole durning autocross now steering is bad.