Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What else should I replace while installing new shocks/springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What else should I replace while installing new shocks/springs?

I'm installing my new konis and bmr springs in a few weeks thanks to the great deal by bmr Now I'm just wondering what else I should replace while I'm already under the car?

My car is a 2000 WS6 and has about 100k miles on it. Are there any parts that usually wear out around this time or in the near future? It's a daily driver and autocrosser.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yea you might want to pick up some upper strut mounts, as most of the cars that i have seen have been all rusted up under there. mine were all kinds of F'ed up under there, i had to sand blast them, and re-paint mine. they were pretty stuck to the body as well. by upper strut mount, i mean the big 2-piece metal horseshoe looking thing that the balljoint is in.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The rubber strutmount,LCA bushings,ball joints,tierods,swaybar endlinks.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

I'm doing the same instal. I went ahead and got all three pieces so I could put the new on and not have to take apart the old ones. Both of my outer tie rods and upper ball joints were wore out, so they are getting replaced.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wile E's 98
I'm doing the same instal. I went ahead and got all three pieces so I could put the new on and not have to take apart the old ones. Both of my outer tie rods and upper ball joints were wore out, so they are getting replaced.
Where are you getting those parts from? How much did it cost all together?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great, another thing I'm going to have to purchase for this install. Are the shock mounts really that necessary? Or can I get away without them? My car has 42k miles.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dabest09
Great, another thing I'm going to have to purchase for this install. Are the shock mounts really that necessary? Or can I get away without them? My car has 42k miles.

The milage really doesn't matter from what I have seen on here. People have posted pictures of their SHOCK mounts on a 20k mile car and they still looked like hell. You can salvage them if you take your time and are careful, an air chisel will help alot.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by klug3835
Where are you getting those parts from? How much did it cost all together?
Sorry it took me this long to answer. Rockauto.com. Cost about 200 for everything with shipping. I bought my tie rod ends from the local auto parts store.

I wouldnt worry about replacing these parts unless they are wore. To check them set your jack under the a arm and lift the wheel off the ground. then grab a hold of the wheel and shake it. If you have any movement then somthing is probaly wore out.

My car has 150k on it and still had all the original parts. My tie rod ends were really wore out. The ball joints werent wore themselves but the boots were cracked and letting the grease out so I just replaced them.

Quick Reply: What else should I replace while installing new shocks/springs?