Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks for a lowered car

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks for a lowered car

I bought my WS6 with a Eibach Pro-kit on it, with KYB AGX front shocks. But the rears are decarbons, which i think are the stockers?
Anyways i defiently need some new rear shocks it likes to bottom out on a really big bump, but its even worse when i got one or more ppl in the car. I also have 2 12" subs in the back too. I know ive heard that the pro-kit likes to sag in the rear, and they are not the best set up but the stance is awesome and she handles great just need some new rear shocks i think so its a little better ride.
Should i just buy the AGX's for the rear or should i get something else?
thanks!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

Im actually in the same position. I got the pro-kit and im looking for rear shocks. I think im either gonna settle for kyb gas-a-just or save up alittle more for bilstien. If i were you i would get the agx's all around so you can use the adjustability to its full potential. And yes decarbons are stock and anything is better than them.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've used a couple sets of AGX's with good success. They aren't Koni's but aren't replacement specials either. I consider them somewhere in the high/middle.

The nice thing about adjustables is you can crank them up when loading the fam and beach gear then drop back to normal when cruising.

Koni's tend to feel the nicest (sporty yet comfortable) then maybe Bilsteins then AGX's. Still a pretty good shock.

Also, KYB Gas-a-just's aren't so bad if you're looking for a replacement which is a little better than usual.

My opinion, your results may vary.

ramey
Old 06-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Launching!

idk how much this helps you but i have qa1's single adj on the rear of my car and the ride is fine, easy to adjust when wanted
Old 06-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the help guys, i think ill just get agx's to match. Ill try cranking them up a little more in the back maybe and see how that goes.
Ive heard good things about QA1's, but are they mainly for strip cars? just asking because i DD the car, with a hopefully a few passes this summer.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

QA1's are a pretty good all purpose shock, not necessarily only for strip. Bilsteins and Koni's (especially Koni's) are known for their plush feel while still delivering great performance. QA1's are more known for their great performance while delivering a less polished ride in cruising situations. A single adjustable set on 3 is pretty comfy while a setting of 18 will feel like the suspension is solid. It's this ability to contract and expand the damping curve which makes them good performers in many situations.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Launching!

I have agx's on all 4 corners, with Strano springs. I am very happy with the agx's, If I had to do it all over again. Id still go agx again!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Y'all can take this for what it's worth.

I have a 2001 'Chicken that was in bad need of a suspension tune up. I couldn't get the thing to turn without scaring the heck out of someone. Keep in mind, this is a street driven car only and will probably never see a track...twisties or drag strip. I want a car that drives comfortably on the street, yet will turn a "spirited" corner if you get my drift. I installed all new control arm bushings front and rear...sway bar bushings and end links, ball joints, tie rods, everything. I was looking for a decent shock that would do what I wanted without breaking the bank. I finally decided to go with KYB Gas-a-Just shocks because they are a high pressure mono tube that should do what I want. I couldn't be happier. They suited my application just fine. It's like driving a new car (suspension rebuild is huge part of that) and the shocks are just the icing on the cake.

So now...I wouldn't mind lowering it a tad. I contacted one of the very well thought of suppliers here on this site. His comment was...'those shocks are absolute junk and I can't recommend them with my lowering springs. Bilsteins are the absolute minimum". Well, that makes no sense to me at all. So I'm going to purchase springs that don't require an exotic high dollar shock to control. They are out there. I would do this differently if it were a race car, but for my use, I just don't need all the exotic parts.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
So now...I wouldn't mind lowering it a tad. I contacted one of the very well thought of suppliers here on this site. His comment was...'those shocks are absolute junk and I can't recommend them with my lowering springs. Bilsteins are the absolute minimum". Well, that makes no sense to me at all. So I'm going to purchase springs that don't require an exotic high dollar shock to control. They are out there. I would do this differently if it were a race car, but for my use, I just don't need all the exotic parts.
You won't find a lowering spring that those shocks are "ideal" for because they are made to deal with our soft, tall stock springs. Can you run a lowering spring? ofcourse, but it won't be nearly as comfortable, composed or stable as if you had a better shock. Would you want to run a high lift cam on stock valve springs?
Old 06-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Y'all can take this for what it's worth.

I have a 2001 'Chicken that was in bad need of a suspension tune up. I couldn't get the thing to turn without scaring the heck out of someone. Keep in mind, this is a street driven car only and will probably never see a track...twisties or drag strip. I want a car that drives comfortably on the street, yet will turn a "spirited" corner if you get my drift. I installed all new control arm bushings front and rear...sway bar bushings and end links, ball joints, tie rods, everything. I was looking for a decent shock that would do what I wanted without breaking the bank. I finally decided to go with KYB Gas-a-Just shocks because they are a high pressure mono tube that should do what I want. I couldn't be happier. They suited my application just fine. It's like driving a new car (suspension rebuild is huge part of that) and the shocks are just the icing on the cake.

thats really good to hear because i'm upgrading to an adj. panhard bar, lca relocation brackets, and rear kyb gas-a-justs. I can't wait. i have been lowered on eibach pro kit for the past few months on stock decarbons. its really not bad riding on stock shocks. everyone says it is. but after the spring install the handling did feel a little better and the ride was barely harsh. not the best feel ever but thats all gonna change soon.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You won't find a lowering spring that those shocks are "ideal" for because they are made to deal with our soft, tall stock springs. Can you run a lowering spring? ofcourse, but it won't be nearly as comfortable, composed or stable as if you had a better shock. Would you want to run a high lift cam on stock valve springs?
That is great input...but I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Your valve spring comparison is for something controlling more travel...not less. Big difference. A lowering spring constitutes less travel. Furthermore, since the lowered spring has to be stiffer (higher rate), it may require a different valved shock to keep things equal. Therefore, I can see where these KYB's may present a slightly stiffer ride. But for the supplier to arbitrarily call them 'junk' was just wrong. They aren't. They do a nice job for what they were intended for. But your statement regarding their valving for softer springs may be very valid indeed and something worth exploring. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

For what its worth i bought the AGX's. Im happy with them, they defientaly stiffened up the rear, and i feel very stable unlike with the stockers. It rebounds quick so it doesnt bottom out, yet at least. The car is great around corners, barely any body roll. Not the best set-up for some as ive heard but it suits my needs.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That is great input...but I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Your valve spring comparison is for something controlling more travel...not less. Big difference.
Same idea of getting the right part for the job though, even if you have to pay a little more.
A lowering spring constitutes less travel. Furthermore, since the lowered spring has to be stiffer (higher rate), it may require a different valved shock to keep things equal. Therefore, I can see where these KYB's may present a slightly stiffer ride.
Seems you are figuring it out yourself.
But its much more than a "slightly stiffer ride" (likely significantly more jarring on bumps) - but also at speed the car will be more floaty and loose and just get worse with time.

But for the supplier to arbitrarily call them 'junk' was just wrong. They aren't.
Probably referring to the quality (internals) and how the shock actually works, and how long it will last.

Quick Reply: Shocks for a lowered car