Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone ever installed a line lock to block fluid to rear brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever installed a line lock to block fluid to rear brakes?

Hmmm...i was about to install a line lock in my vette and i just thought (which was more of a duh, why didnt i think of that before), that I can just install the line lock solenoid inline to the single brake line going to the rear brakes. Just turn it on without the brakes on, then no rear brakes at all, and you can still do a fully controlled burnout including a rolling burnout if you wanna roll out of it, and the rear brakes wont drag.

I have a brake line for each front brake, so i didnt wanna do the T'ing flaring etc of all of the tubing, and its much quicker and easier with the single rear brake line on my non ABS C4 vette.

This is a common thing im guessing. Any problems anyones seen with this?
Old 04-02-2004, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

almost everyone in here has a linelock
Old 04-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Restricted User

so essentially you will block the rear fluid transmission, when switched on, then press the brake to apply pressure to the front brakes, do your burnout, switch on and brkaes depressed? Sounds little backwards, but should work. So there is not a single line for the front brakes coming out of the master cylinder going to a proportioning valve before it goes out to each front wheel?
Old 04-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Banned

Yea it sounds backwards, but alot of times completely locking the front brakes doenst seem like the easy way to do some of the burnouts i want to do, not enough control of the car rolling forward incase it trys to push the car forward. If you eliminate the rear brakes completely, it would be extremely easy to do a burnout in an auto and control rolling the car forward out of the burnout box etc compared to using a linelock on the front brakes. On an manual, I definatly see why people use them on the front, so they dont have to three-foot it.

CAT3: No, my master cylinder on my C4 has a brake line coming out for each front brake. So id have to T it into one or something, which sounds like a pain in the but.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

would it work? yes and like you said you can roll out of it but on a 6speed car id rather lock the fronts much easier then just throttleout your roll out u can still apply a lil brake before you turn it back off anyway. most line locks are off the master so there is only one line for front one for rears anyway never should need a t nor would i ever suggest it
Old 04-02-2004, 10:51 PM
Restricted User

C4, sounds like either try it, which if it works you will have more control. Or do like the mustang guys do, and use two for the fronts.

Good Luck,
Charlie
Old 04-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats what we are going to do on my brother's LT1 Caprice. With an auto, it makes perfect sense.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Default Yep! Done That ...

I did that to my '78 Camaro ( A long Time Ago now )

I Think it only makes sense in an Auto Though as you can hold the car still for as long as you like on the front brakes. You can still allow the car to move forward at really slow speeds .This leaves really great black strips of rubber.

The main advantage though is that you Never try launching with the brakes still on (seen it Done!)

Downside: Remember to turn if OFF after launching ... It won't stop too good.

HTH Terminal_Crazy
England.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Yes it works...

Last edited by Judd55; 03-31-2023 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Judd55
I have done it this way and it works excellent, hooked to lock out rear brakes when horn button depressed. You have to reverse the lines and in order to do this you have to source the necessary fittings and lines yourself. I used a 5 pin relay and a switch on the dash to deactivate the horn and now the horn button activates the line lock. Depress horn button, locking out your rear brakes, now apply brake, this only applies your front brakes, leaving you to do a controlled and rolling burnout. Once you release the horn button, all 4 brakes instantly resume working and a flip of the switch and the horn resumes working. May sound complicated but, it's really quite simple. Auto only,.would require another foot for Standard.
Hello..... 2004!
The following users liked this post:
Judd55 (03-31-2023)

Quick Reply: Anyone ever installed a line lock to block fluid to rear brakes?