Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Where to buy brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to buy brakes?

I am in the market for new brakes on the front. I have Torque Thrust 2's so i know that limits my choices. From what i understand, in order to keep my TT2's i need to stay with the factory size rotors but i can upgrade the caliper.

So my first question is where should i buy (cheapest $$) the rotors? i would like to stay away from drilled and or slotted rotors. and every online shop i look at has nothing but drilled or slotted rotors. So where can i find rotors that are not drilled or slotted but are still better than the factory rotors?? Maybe this is not possible idk?????

and i am wanting to put C5 calipers on the front. What is the difference between the C5 caliper and the stock fbody caliper?

and correct me if im wrong, arent the C5 caliper and the C5 z06 caliper the same? except the z06 calipers are powder coated red?

and where can i buy just the c5 calipers WITHOUT buying the C5 front brake conversion kit?? cuz the C5 caliper will fit the fbody mounts if keeping the factory size rotor.

also i will be putting Hawk pads on as well
Old 07-18-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Brakemotive has or at least recently had rotors and pads for $160 with free shipping. They have the plain rotors. I've had the drilled & slotted rotors on my TA for several months with no problems.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

You can buy remanufactered Dorman C5 calipers from Advance Auto for around $70 a piece (probably a bit less with the right coupon code).

Brakemotive is a cheap place to buy brakes that are night and say compared to a parts store brake, but Strano stocks much better brakes that are more expensive. So it depends what you want.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help I'll look into those options, I guess what I'm wanting is a rotor that is not drilled or slotted and is better quality than the factory replacement.

and while im at it i would like to upgrade the calipers to C5 Z06 ( just cuz they are red).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-04-C5-GM-...sories&vxp=mtr

are these a good price? and is there something else i need to go with them to install them?

Sorry I'm kind of a nube when it comes to upgrading brakes, I usually just do factory replacement stuff from O'reilly's on my everyday vehicles.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

what size rotors fit the corvette calipers?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can put the C5 calipers on a Fbody and run stock rotors? Are you sure?
Old 07-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...only-swap.html

This is saying it is possible but no benefit

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...pers-tt2s.html

This thread says you can do it. but no mention of benefit

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...myth-true.html
Old 07-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Bump.

would like some more input from people on what brand of blank rotor and where to buy.

also if the C5 caliper on a stock rotor is beneficial

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by benji's_z28
Bump.

would like some more input from people on what brand of blank rotor and where to buy.

also if the C5 caliper on a stock rotor is beneficial

Thanks!
I'm just wondering......why don't you want drilled and slotted? because they cool better?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1121
I'm just wondering......why don't you want drilled and slotted? because they cool better?
Uh oh....
Old 07-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

I dont want drilled or slotted because FOR ME there is no point to them other than looking "cool". I dont auto cross or anything of the sort so I dont wanna pay the extra money for something I dont need.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by benji's_z28
I dont want drilled or slotted because FOR ME there is no point to them other than looking "cool". I dont auto cross or anything of the sort so I dont wanna pay the extra money for something I dont need.
I got mine on Ebay from some dude in CA. They were like $125 shipped for all four. Been on the car for maybe 2 years now. I just put on my second set of pads and have not had to cut them yet. So yes I guess there is no point to drilled and slotted unless you want to spend a TON of money. lol

There is plenty of Good stuff out there you don't need to bleed for.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

and by COOL I mean temperature wise......not cool looking? LMAO.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

For 99% of us, it's basically a non factor. Doesn't matter.. except for the drilled rotor people you should be inspecting the holes for small cracks. Most of us don't even come close to pushing the heat limits of a rotor, including autox drivers.

I'm waiting for JD AMG's response. He's good at tearing apart drilled and slotted rotors.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

I bought mine because I went thru 3 sets of standard rotors before and they were all crap. and as far as "Pulling apart" drilled rotors buy one of your Hero's........I'm just trying to help you out with some of my expierience with mine and really don't give a **** what you buy. So.....have at it. I...don't have issues with MY brakes.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I don't give a $hit either, lol. Like I said 99% of the people on here will probably be fine.. BUT make sure to inspect the rotors every now and then if you do go with the cheap drilled rotors.

Hell even if you dish out bigger bucks for the Brembo fancy drilled slotted rotors, they can crack too. All I'm saying it keep your eyes on them every now and then.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

New guy with little to no knowledge other than reading the stickies looking for some clarification:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...brake-faq.html

With drilled rotors and todays pad compounds, there is no performance gain to be had. It weakens the rotor, and reduces the surface area of the rotor in which the pad comes in contact with. The only purpose they serve today is to increase the looks of the assemby behind the wheel.
Its a common misconception that with crossdrilled rotors that they help dissipate heat faster, and allow gasses created by the friction material on pads to escape.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cdgreg
New guy with little to no knowledge other than reading the stickies looking for some clarification:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...brake-faq.html
I read those same stickies as well but evidently some people dont like to do research on items before they buy something.

Those reasons that you listed are the excact reasons that i DONT want drilled/slotted rotors, there is no point other than trying to look cool.

thank you guys for backing me up on this
Old 07-28-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Lmao ^^^^^
Old 07-28-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

I bought mine because I went thru 3 sets of standard rotors before and they were all crap. and as far as "Pulling apart" drilled rotors buy one of your Hero's........I'm just trying to help you out with some of my expierience with mine and really don't give a **** what you buy. So.....have at it. I...don't have issues with MY brakes.
I noticed the above in bold. Of course they were crap, you got the 'standard' rotor. Top of the line blank or nothing. Standard rotors suck no matter if they're blanks or drilled/slotted/etc.

Quick Reply: Where to buy brakes?