Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

what shocks to get ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what shocks to get ?

I added the eibach pro lowering springs on my 2000 ss and replaced the front shocks with cheap autozone ones until i had the money for good ones but these seem to be blowing out so im just goin to have to buy the shocks now ,

I need to know what shock i can get that will not blow out with the lowering spinga installed , also dont want to break the bank either
Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Money friendly: Bilstein's. Baller status: Koni's.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check out Sam Strano ,he is the guy to talk to about suspension on this forum.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the last post. Call up Sam Strano and talk to him. When it comes to suspension he is the guy,period.I have Koni's on my car and absolutely love them.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
Money friendly: Bilstein's. Baller status: Koni's.
That's it in a nutshell.....

Originally Posted by garygnu
Check out Sam Strano, he is the guy to talk to about suspension on this forum.
I agree, and he sells both Koni and Bilstein.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't understand why people on this forum will dump $10k on a motor then consider a nice set of shocks for <$2k baller status. I mean what's the point in having 700hp with stock shocks. You might as well buy a jet boat since they'll drive about the same. Obviously $500 for some bilsteins is extremely conservative because autozone shocks run almost the same cost, but consider that you're going to most likely want a better shock down the road. Save the money and buy something nice that's not going to leave you wanting more.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:20 PM
Teching In

I just put bilsteins on last and love them. its not about baller status. You have a comfy ride or you dont. End of story. I got rid of my stock decarbons with 90k on them becuase I hated the lowering kit. pain in the ***. so stock springs and bilsteins are great. But if your all for the springs you want to balance the shocks to ride nice so your not hating every bump. Or qa1 adjustables if you got money to throw around like that lol
Old 04-09-2013, 11:25 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

The biggest problem with the suspension is the stock decarbons. The springs aren't bad. The swaybars aren't bad. Put a good shock in there and you can have a comfy ride and good handling. And a good shock is the Koni.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

koni all the way
Old 04-10-2013, 06:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by scj
I don't understand why people on this forum will dump $10k on a motor then consider a nice set of shocks for <$2k baller status. I mean what's the point in having 700hp with stock shocks. You might as well buy a jet boat since they'll drive about the same. Obviously $500 for some bilsteins is extremely conservative because autozone shocks run almost the same cost, but consider that you're going to most likely want a better shock down the road. Save the money and buy something nice that's not going to leave you wanting more.
It's a question of cost comparison. Bilsteins are what, $500 for the set, whereas Konis are $7-800. Is $800 a TON of money? No, not really, but it's still almost twice as much as a Bilstein, consequently the "baller" tag....
Old 04-10-2013, 04:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Eibach springs will continue to drop a little bit lower. They move like a glacier, fractions of an inch a year. LOL That being said, Bilstein shocks may not be your best option for a spring that's going to drop bellow 1.5 inches. Koni shocks can handle the punishment better in that scenario, so I would suggest them to you.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Teching In

I ordered KW Variant 3 shocks about a month ago still on back order I hope their worth the money
Old 04-10-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TransAmFever90
I just put bilsteins on last and love them. its not about baller status. You have a comfy ride or you dont. End of story. I got rid of my stock decarbons with 90k on them becuase I hated the lowering kit. pain in the ***. so stock springs and bilsteins are great. But if your all for the springs you want to balance the shocks to ride nice so your not hating every bump. Or qa1 adjustables if you got money to throw around like that lol
IIRC, those are exactly what they were meant for.. Very good stock replacements.

Lowered? Better get Koni.

But I've got two rear SLP Bilstiens for sale still in good shape, with a full Eibach prokit for sale if anyone's interested.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 04-12-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the in put guys goin to save up and get the konis
Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't suggest qa1's if you want a comfy ride just saying ive got them now and they are a bit bouncy.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Koni's all the way.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 540ss72guy
I ordered KW Variant 3 shocks about a month ago still on back order I hope their worth the money
Dude, you called the wrong place. I've got 3 sets in stock, could ship them Monday (had it seen this earlier today I could have shipped them today).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-12-2013, 02:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Which shocks? Depends on how well/how long you expect them to work...

Bilstein's will do pretty decent for a while, but you will see them become less and less well damped as the miles go on. The Eibach's aren't' super stiff springs, and when new the Bisltein's can damp them reasonably well. However, the Bilsteins are working pretty hard to do it, so as they miles go on and the shocks wear, at some point they won't be as good at it anymore. Add to that the Eibach's tend to put you in harder contact with the rear bumstops (all springs will do it some, Eibach's just don't have a good spring rate vs. height ratio), and the Bilstein's aren't great at dealing with how the car comes off the stops.

FWIW, they aren't $500 a set, they are under $400 a set.

Koni's rock. Have for a long time, which is why I've been selling (and using) them for so long.... 15 years+. I run them on my cars (though I have KW's on my FR-S) I daily driver. I had Koni's on the Camaros and Mustangs I won all my championships with, and used Konis when I was developing my springs. I have Koni's on my Corvette.

Are they cheap? No. But with the sale you can get into a set for a little over $730. Consider when they are not on sale they are about $150 more than what they currently are selling for. That makes them a better value now relative to other shocks, aside from the fact they are much better for the best control of the car (even with stock springs).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Veteran

^ And didn't Koni rumor that they wouldn't be doing this sale again? We're lucky they did it this time.

OP, it's only about once a year, so I seriously wouldn't wait on this or the full price for a set of Koni's is going to shock you (no pun intended) and you may end up cheaping out for something you won't be happy with in the long run.

Listen to Strano.

Quick Reply: what shocks to get ?