Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR springs/Koni shocks intall suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMR springs/Koni shocks intall suggestions?

I have a set of Koni shocks and BMR springs already set to go. With the springs compressed and put on the shocks and the upper strut mounts on as well, thanks to a buddy of mine who had already rented the tool to do his. What else may I need before the install? I noticed at a shop last week that on the rear a piece of rubber bump stops it looks like were old, torn and breaking. What part # is this and what is it called? Ill try to get a pic of it later.

Do I need grease? Or any other important tools? Trying to make this a smooth install
Old 05-10-2013, 10:39 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It sounds like you already have the front shock and springs assembled which in my opinion is the hardest part of the job so you arahead of the game there. The rest of the install is pretty straight forward so you probably won't run into anything crazy. That part you are talking about on the rear is actually called a bump stop and all the factory ones deteriorate over time. I recommend going with Energy Suspension bump stops part number 9.9137. Here is the link to prior thread that goes into detail about them.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ump-stops.html

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Launching!

You can put a nice glob of grease on the upper strut nut after secured... Any little bit of extra protection from long term rust will help for future just in case.

Check your ball joints on the upper arms for good boots and no leakage of grease.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

I bought a list of MOOG parts from the BMR/Koni sale that a fellow memeber had posted with part #s. Ends up, I wont need a lot of them... but will be replacing my stabilizer bars... any reference on "how-to" here?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
It sounds like you already have the front shock and springs assembled which in my opinion is the hardest part of the job so you arahead of the game there. The rest of the install is pretty straight forward so you probably won't run into anything crazy. That part you are talking about on the rear is actually called a bump stop and all the factory ones deteriorate over time. I recommend going with Energy Suspension bump stops part number 9.9137. Here is the link to prior thread that goes into detail about them.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ump-stops.html
Yea he helped me out big time! He's a good friend and even letting me come over to his place now to do the install! Stand by for a new thread on before/after pics of the install! Can't wait to get these babies on!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Yeah ****! I've done this twice already! Quit bugging others lol.. FYI, I'm the guy helping him with the install... along with the rest of his bolt-ons.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

^^^ haha shut up Bryan! God can you drive any slower!
Old 05-10-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Did you remove the current front coil assembly already? Can't tell if you did that already and if you just put together the new set.

If you didn't, the torx bolt could be a pain.

If you did this already, disregard and back to your regularly scheduled program.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Did you remove the current front coil assembly already? Can't tell if you did that already and if you just put together the new set.

If you didn't, the torx bolt could be a pain.

If you did this already, disregard and back to your regularly scheduled program.
Yes the install went for the most part pretty smoothly. Its all finished and on the ride! It took roughly 4hrs and that's only because we ran into a problem... but what fun is any install without one!?! Am I right??

Ill be adding pics tomorrow while at the Virginia Beach Springfest Car Show!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

For Z28bryan - the easiest way to get to the torx bits is undo the 13mm nuts on the abs box with the hard lines that go to the MC, then get a long extension and remove the 15mm nuts holding that to the firewall. Lift up the abs box some and at the same time slide the MC off the studs and it is out of the way enough to use an extension to remove the torx.

Quick Reply: BMR springs/Koni shocks intall suggestions?