Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

spring and shock ride height question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spring and shock ride height question.

Hi all, i have a 2002 firebird (v6). Its a daily driver for work and back. As it sits now the front end height is 26.5" wheel well to ground . The rear is where theres a problem, 29" on driver side and 28.5" on passenger side. I'm not sure if the car was lowered or not. If so how can i tell how it was done ? kit , cut springs , etc. I also need to look into the rear height difference. maybe just a blown out shock ? Any help and advice would be great . thanks in advance .
Old 06-02-2013, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi, I've just completed a total suspension upgrade and hopefully this helps:

I've heard that a slight difference in spring height on our aging cars is common. So the half inch diff in height probably means its time for upgrades.

It sounds like the front end has been dropped. We put on Vogtland lowering springs and I'm just 1/4" lower than your front end. I found a pic of my stocker front struts, spring, upper and lower A Arms. Stock struts are DeCarbons, the stock A arms are not tubular but are a bent steel, the stock springs are dark ugly color. You can see the number of coils and compare to yours to see if stocks were cut.

Most aftermarket springs, even the ones on Ebay are colored. Just for Example; Stranos are white, Vogtlands are purple, some ebay ones are bright green and such.

Sounds like your rear height is stock or maybe just not a good set of matched springs. Sorry I can't find a pic of my rear springs but they are bigger coils and will be same dark ugly color with maybe (if your lucky to identify) a GM part tag hanging or rolled on a coil. The stocker springs are also DeCarbons.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails spring and shock ride height question.-oldspringandaarms.jpg  
Old 06-02-2013, 11:22 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been busy all day. I was able to peak threw the rims and see the front shocks. There delphi M46 (?) , orange colored. The springs are some ugly black ones . On the rears are the same orange shocks, i wasn't able to get a number off them. The springs had a tag that is probably a GM part number . 10305134. The wheels i have on it may also be contributing to some problems, i'm not sure. There 245/35zr20 95wxl. They came on the car when i bought it for my wife. I do have the original rims and tires also. They were tossed in with it. Well thanks again for the info.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like the springs are stock, maybe the fronts have collapsed. since Delphi owns DeCarbon, they are probably stockers or an aftermarket equivalent. no problem, I get most of my info on these threads.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 PM

Sorry its taken me awhile to get back on . I really appreciate you taking the time out to help me. I am trying to post some picks i took today while i was changing out the oil. I would like to upgrade the whole package. Shocks ,springs, bushings,etc. I will be reading up on what brands are the best for comfort on a daily driver . I'm sure if the tires will be a problem down the road. My wife really likes them. But i have the stock ones if i need em . Well i should be getting some picks here shortly . Just to confirm there stock and show her off
Old 06-04-2013, 11:26 PM

Pics
spring and shock ride height question.-1.jpg

spring and shock ride height question.-2.jpg

spring and shock ride height question.-3.jpg

spring and shock ride height question.-4.jpg

spring and shock ride height question.-5.jpg
Old 06-04-2013, 11:27 PM

Default pics

spring and shock ride height question.-6.jpg

spring and shock ride height question.-7.jpg

spring and shock ride height question.-8.jpg

spring and shock ride height question.-9.jpg

spring and shock ride height question.-10.jpg
Old 06-04-2013, 11:28 PM

Default pics

spring and shock ride height question.-12.jpg

spring and shock ride height question.-13.jpg

spring and shock ride height question.-14.jpg

spring and shock ride height question.-11.jpg

spring and shock ride height question.-15.jpg
Old 06-04-2013, 11:28 PM

Default pics

spring and shock ride height question.-16.jpg
Old 06-04-2013, 11:42 PM

Well there she is. She needs quite a bit of work , not a bad start tho. I been reading about the Bilsteins that Sam Strano sells. I will look into that kit with the springs and all tomorrow . Or Tokiko's if the Bilsteins are out of my price range. Who knows maybe i can find a used set for sale on one of the forums that someone upgraded from to something better. Well thanks again and any advice from anyone is always welcomed . Night.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NapalmCola
Well there she is. She needs quite a bit of work , not a bad start tho. I been reading about the Bilsteins that Sam Strano sells. I will look into that kit with the springs and all tomorrow . Or Tokiko's if the Bilsteins are out of my price range. Who knows maybe i can find a used set for sale on one of the forums that someone upgraded from to something better. Well thanks again and any advice from anyone is always welcomed . Night.
It looks like everything is stock on your car, I'm not sure why it sits so low, maybe the front springs may have been cut a little. If you want good springs for cheap, I bought the Vogtland springs from Ebay. they are cheap and made in Germany and are legit! I bought the SLP Bilsteins from Ebay too, they were cheaper than the normal Bilsteins and had the bushings and hardware included. I bought new Monroe strut mount kits from rockauto. It looks like your tie rods are original, I'd replace them if I were you. I buy a ton of stuff off Ebay, I was an Ebay seller for years different stuff.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the rear spring isolators out (top of the rear springs).

The passenger side will always sit a tad lower than the driver.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:19 AM

Thanks for the response guys . Yep on the passenger side being lower . Its just a tad over half an inch lower. It's the side that scrapes and hits on bumps way more than the other. I plan on replacing the shocks and springs soon . That can only help. It may also be in part because of the tires(245/35r20). I may have to put the stock ones back on if these are to big after i install the new suspension kit . I still have a some more researching to do as to what kit to buy. It's just a daily driver for my wife so comfort is also a concern.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, for more reasons than your ride height issue.. STOCK RIMS!
Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the tires rub it probably has the wrong wheel offset, and it doesn't help that the tires are almost 1.2" taller than stock tire height. I'd sell or trade the 20's for some 17s and that change alone should give it a better ride.

Quick Reply: spring and shock ride height question.