Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS Inop Intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question ABS Inop Intermittent

Just started getting an intermittent ABS Inop dash light lately, wonder if it had anything to do with my Road America track fun the other month...

I haven't got it scanned yet, but wonder if the ABS motor pack is on the way out? Happened on my old '95 Camaro...
Old 06-24-2013, 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heh, just happened to me on Saturday night. Maiden voyage after trans/ clutch hydraulics swap and after slamming on the brakes once it came on. Only thing is that it hasn't gone away since . (Its come on before but gone away after cycling the ignition).

The ABS systems in these cares are ridiculous..
Old 06-24-2013, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like scanning is the first step, apart from looking for obvious wire/connector issues. Too bad most of the scan tools out there, like mine do not talk to the ABS systems...

This one optionally does:
http://www.autoxray.com/product_detail.php?pid=136

Document ID# 632937
2001 Chevrolet/Geo Camaro
Diagnostic Starting Point - Antilock Brake System

Begin the system diagnosis with Diagnostic System Check - ABS . The Diagnostic System Check will provide the following information:

The identification of the control modules which command the system
The ability of the control modules to communicate through the serial data circuit
The identification of any stored diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) and their status
The use of the Diagnostic System Check will identify the correct procedure for diagnosing the system and where the procedure is located.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-24-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the info

I'll play around with it once I get Tunerpro going and I figure out how to work it.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Still trying to analyze what the issue is, but I also am receiving some intermittent Low Trac lights on the dash when clearly there is NOT a traction issue, wonder if some wiring is getting hot from my recent header/catted Y-pipe install...

I also noticed the ABS Inop light seems to come on more when I have my diverter open, which is right in that pocket area just before the axle on the passenger side. Perhaps it is somehow messing with the rear ABS sensor?
Old 06-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scan the abs system for codes. That will give you a starting point.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:33 AM
TECH Resident

Could just be a dirty or marginal wheel speed sensor. Does it work fine at low speed and then quit?

Still cant get my new rear to work above 55mph.

I use an elm327 with torque pro and I can see all the wheelspeed sensors. $25 total investment.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

Not to go off topic but since I'm having the same issue.. I just did a trans swap, the torque arm bolts were especially a PITA for me. I'd imagine theres a connector for the ABS on top of the axle in that area? I have a feeling mine may have worked loose since the light came on 20 mins after driving post swap..

But yeah, scanning is a good idea.. Gotta get Tunerpro setup already!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Well just found out that Advance Auto has an Actron CP9580A scanner which will also scan ABS codes for FREE! Got a B0041 code: Right Front Wheel Speed Circuit Range/Performance

I am going to check the wiring/connectors and replace the sensor and see if that fixes it. Lifetime warranty sensors are about $28 - BWD brand.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Update: Inspecting the wiring to that front passenger side ABS wheel sensor, the wiring protector plastic tubing is melting against one of the primaries! Doh, install shop was sloppy and did not add heat shielding to this wiring, but did for some other wires.

Also, the sensor wiring connector on the body dripped out a little water -- probably steamed down the plastic tubing from the primary...

In summary, anyone installing headers needs to add heat shielding to the passenger side ABS sensor wiring that travels right upward past the primaries!

This may be the only issue, my sensor itself may be just fine. We will see.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 07-01-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Well just found out that [B]Advance Auto has an Actron CP9580A scanner which will also scan ABS codes for FREE!
Thanks for the info! Good to see you found it!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Update: Inspecting the wiring to that front passenger side ABS wheel sensor, the wiring protector plastic tubing is melting against one of the primaries! Doh, install shop was sloppy and did not add heat shielding to this wiring, but did for some other wires.

Also, the sensor wiring connector on the body dripped out a little water -- probably steamed down the plastic tubing from the primary...

In summary, anyone installing headers needs to add heat shielding to the passenger side ABS sensor wiring that travels right upward past the primaries!

This may be the only issue, my sensor itself may be just fine. We will see.
Problem solved? Just curious to see if your fix worked. Just had a track day on Friday and ended up losing ABS in the last session. I need to head to Auto Zone for the scan and go from there, but I was just curious if the heat/wire connectivity issue was your only issue.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

^ Yes, a heat shielding sock was added to that area of wiring tubing, and the issues have not returned.

Quick Reply: ABS Inop Intermittent