Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear LCA and Panhard Bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear LCA and Panhard Bar

I'm in the market for rear lca, and panhard bar I have done some research but still can't really find my answer. What exactly is the purpose of say poly/poly, poly/rod, rod/rod which would be better for street use/daily driving. Any help would be appreciated
Old 10-15-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Poly is good for street use. Rotos are for more race oriented cars, they produce more vibrate noise.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

It's hard to get into great detail in print.... frankly I often recommend a split setup, as in I'll do different types of LCA's than than the PHB as there are different things going on at each location.

Poly is typically the most quiet, but where the LCA's are concerned also make the suspension sticky in roll/over bumps. Typically the best compromise between noise and performance here is a Poly front with a good articulating joint in the rear. I carry/would recommend a UMI Roto-joint in that location. On the PHB, if it's a street car mostly I'd probably recommend a poly PHB at both end, but one that is easy to adjust.

I have all the different LCA's and PHB's that are out there. Mostly do UMI, but have other brands too (just no reason to use the others IMHO).

Anyway, happy to help if you want to call. I'd be better able to explain why you might not want the cheapest LCA option.... or maybe you decide you do. But I have the parts and fair pricing on them too.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-15-2013, 03:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by QuicksterZ
I'm in the market for rear lca, and panhard bar I have done some research but still can't really find my answer. What exactly is the purpose of say poly/poly, poly/rod, rod/rod which would be better for street use/daily driving. Any help would be appreciated
Our BMR poly/poly LCAs (MTCA002) and panhard bar (PHR002) are by far our most popular style that we manufacture and they are perfect for street use with a little racing mixed in. These would be the parts I would recommend for you since you are primarily using the car as a daily driver and they will be nice and quite. The poly/rod LCAs (TCA004) and panhard bar (PHR010) is a happy medium between our poly/poly parts and our rod/rod parts. These work well for someone making a little bit more power or someone planning on racing a bit. These parts are a little noisier than our poly/poly parts but having the one poly bushings on the one side will absorb a decent amount of the noise. Our rod/rod LCAs (MTCA003) and panhard bar (MPHR003) are designed for guys making a lot of power or someone planning on racing the car a bunch. These are the strongest LCAs and panhard bar that we make. These will be the noisiest out of the bunch because the rod ends tend to transfer noise so if that is something you are concerned with I would not recommend these for you. This explains the difference without going into too much crazy detail.

If you have any other questions or if there is anything we can help you out with let me know.

Kyle

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Ok another question I just bought 315/35/17 tires would I need a aftermarket lca arms and a panhard bar
Old 10-16-2013, 12:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok another question I just bought 315/35/17 tires would I need a aftermarket lca arms and a panhard bar
You don't need new LCAs if yours are in good shape, but I'd get an adjustable PHB.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:50 AM
Teching In

What kind of backspacing??? If they have a decent amount of offset, you may have to go with rod/rod with offset spacers for the added clearance, but without measuring or test fitting it would be hard to say.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Steinjager
What kind of backspacing??? If they have a decent amount of offset, you may have to go with rod/rod with offset spacers for the added clearance, but without measuring or test fitting it would be hard to say.
The fronts are 17x9 44mm offset 6.75 backspace. Back 17x10.5 45mm offset 7.5 backspace
Old 10-16-2013, 12:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

There really is no way to know for sure.... the PHB would only help if you are rubbing in a certain way such as the inner fender or LCA on say the left and/or the body on the right (or vice-versa). If you rub both inners, or both outers, then the PHB won't help you because that's a wheel offset/fitment issue.

The only way LCA's would help a rub is if the tire is actually rubbing the LCA itself. In that case a tubular or offset set of LCA's might make enough room. But if you are rubbing those you are also probably rubbing the body.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-16-2013, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info Strano I guess I will just have to wait and see when I get the wheels and tires. Hopefully I won't have to roll fenders or bfh

Quick Reply: Rear LCA and Panhard Bar