Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car Feels Like A Boat And I'm Sick Of It.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car Feels Like A Boat And I'm Sick Of It.

I once had an 05 Saleen Mustang which had upgraded "racecraft" suspension. When I tried to demonstrate the stiffness of the car to people I would try to rock the car back and forth by pushing it from the outside. It would not move, compared to most other cars, yet it drove very nicely in terms of ride comfort, even on 20" wheels. No tram lining either, whereas my T/A does it constantly with the same width tires and smaller wheels.

My question is was this the better chassis on the newer Mustang or upgraded suspension at work - springs and shocks, and if so, what kind of suspension set up would I need to hold a candle to it in an F-body? My car feels like it moves all over the place. I've only got Bilstein HD shocks with about 15k miles, everything else stock on a 70k mile car. How big of an improvement in the direction I want to go in would a set of strano springs make?
Old 12-22-2013, 02:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your previous mustang most likely stiffer springs with shocks valved for the springs, stiffer bushings and sway-bars, along with probably having a better front-end alignment and tires. I'm sure most of it is the upgraded suspension the Saleen had. The tram lining is either caused by the front end alignment and/or tires. As far as it moving all over the place, new or stiffer bushings and a set of strano sway-bars should do the trick!
Old 12-23-2013, 05:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A nice set of sway bars would make a BIG difference, I know it did on my car.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input, I'll be doing swaybars first, then re doing the bushings everywhere if I can.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Shocks were the #1 ride/handling improvement in my car.
2. Springs
3. Rod ended, double adj. pan hard bar.
4. Poly on the 32/19 sway bars the SS/WS6 cars come up with.

Once you do the above, get an alignment. I'm running 4.5 Caster, -1.0 Camber and a touch (IIRC 1/32) of toe IN. Wear is fine, handles great and does not tram line.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I did the strano springs and better shocks I noticed a big difference in the way the car felt on the road, it was a big improvement over the stock decarbon crap shocks and stock springs. Later on I wanted more so I got some strano swaybars and they made a big difference also, I highly recommend strano parts if you want a good handling set up.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:08 AM
Teching In

My TA had 73k miles when I bought it.

The order I did my Suspension upgrades was as follows,

BMR springs and Koni 4/4 Adj. with Double Adj Panhard Rod.

New Wheels and Tires (Invo's) followed by an Alignment (4.5 Caster, -1.0 Camber, and 1/16 of toe IN).

BMR Hollow Front Swaybar.

The car needed tires badly when I bought it, but the wheels I wanted were on back order. I went ahead and put the Springs and Shocks on with the Panhard Rod on a Sunday. Even with the dry rotted, off brand tires with flat spots it was like a totally different car. The difference was incredible!!!! Felt more like a sports car and less like old worn out muscle car.

I gave up on the wheels and ordered a different style 18" and put Nitto Invo's on the car and got the Alignment. As you can imagine this made a huge improvement also. But I feel the Springs and Shocks made more of a difference everywhere while the Tires made their difference when really pushing the car, driving in rain, and road noise.

Last up is the BMR Hollow Front Swaybar. This made a noticeable change also, but nothing like the Shocks.

I'm glad I made all these changes 1st. After a front brake upgrade I will be throwing my money at the Horse Power!
Old 12-25-2013, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the alignment specs, they will be useful.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

If you want a VERY tight suspension, Bilsteins aren't good enough. They don't have enough rebound damping. I'd start by upgrading to Koni SA's and Strano or BMR springs. The ride won't be as cushy as it is with the Bilstein/stock springs, though. Sway bars will address body roll in corners if that's a primary concern.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To the OP, how many miles are currently on your car? If it's more than 60-70,000, I'd be looking at replacing ball joints, tie rod ends, and bushings, before throwing HP parts at it. I'd also be looking at the alignment settings.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well it really is the rocking left to right that I was referring to, it should have been obvious that sway bars were the answer but I got a lot of ideas from this thread anyhow. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
Well it really is the rocking left to right that I was referring to, it should have been obvious that sway bars were the answer but I got a lot of ideas from this thread anyhow. Thanks.
Not necessarily...worn shocks will create the same effect. How many miles are on the car?
Old 12-27-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

70k, shocks were put on by previous owner about 1 year before I bought it, they ought to be good.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

70k, shocks were put on by previous owner about 1 year before I bought it, they ought to be good.
True, but if they went with a "budget replacement" shock like a Monroe, they're not going to give you the ride you're looking for.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

They're Bilstein HD's, its in the first post. They're not Konis, but they are supposed to be pretty good, right? I can only do a little at a time, I'm going to order some swaybars after the holidays for starters, then start saving again.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah do the sway bars first, you should be happy with that for a while.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just put them in, 35 front 22 rear. I took the car on the freeway and took some onramps and offramps at the same speed as before the new bars and maybe I'm getting numb, but I didn't feel a major difference. I thought I did in the morning on a long curve, but I'm not sure. Maybe 32 to 35 and 21 to 22 isn't a big enough difference.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you need the Koni SA's then...the sway bars are plenty big enough now
Old 01-30-2014, 07:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

They're Bilstein HD's, its in the first post. They're not Konis, but they are supposed to be pretty good, right? I can only do a little at a time, I'm going to order some swaybars after the holidays for starters, then start saving again.
The Bilstein shocks are the best real affordable shock but the Koni shocks are going to be quite a bit better when it comes to handling due to the adjustability and better valving.

I just put them in, 35 front 22 rear. I took the car on the freeway and took some onramps and offramps at the same speed as before the new bars and maybe I'm getting numb, but I didn't feel a major difference. I thought I did in the morning on a long curve, but I'm not sure. Maybe 32 to 35 and 21 to 22 isn't a big enough difference.
What sway bars did you end up going with? There is much more to sway bar design then just the measurement of the outer diameter of the material used to build it so I wouldn't necessarily harp on those numbers too much to compare your aftermarket sway bars to the factory ones.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-30-2014, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
The Bilstein shocks are the best real affordable shock but the Koni shocks are going to be quite a bit better when it comes to handling due to the adjustability and better valving.

What sway bars did you end up going with? There is much more to sway bar design then just the measurement of the outer diameter of the material used to build it so I wouldn't necessarily harp on those numbers too much to compare your aftermarket sway bars to the factory ones.
I went with Strano hollow bars. I believe I can perhaps take a corner faster on paper but the body roll feels the same, so I don't feel much more confidence (not that I would really push it on highway corkscrew on ramp, just a small example).

Quick Reply: Car Feels Like A Boat And I'm Sick Of It.