Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How bad is my suspension hurting my times?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad is my suspension hurting my times?

I have a 2000 Z28 with headers, e-cutout, lid blah blah blah.

My best time at the track, my 1st time out, was 13.2 @ 108.14mph, with a 60' of 2.106, on some cheap 255/45/18's

I have Strano lowering spring, with stock shocks.

Does the car being lowered with stock shocks and no LCA relocators hurt much?

I like the stance as it is, so what can I do to improve the suspension and times, without changing the stance too much?

BTW, this is my DD. I have a 3600 PTC going in this weekend.

Last edited by sepsis; 01-21-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you need some sticky tires .you need to transfer weight to the rear quickly at launch .you need to set your pinion angle ,so some lca relocators would help.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

yes, the lack of LCA relocation brackets is hurting you big time. Right now your suspension is pointing at downward angles towards the front of the car and unloading the rear tires. Relo brackets will correct your control arm angles and get the tires planted again. They are suggested on a stock height car, and pretty much required on a lowered car. We are in Tampa also, give me a call and we can get you setup with what you need for a good price
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. I figured as much, I just wanted some opinions.

Gary, I will be getting some sticky tires soon. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

The cheap street tires are hurting things far more than anything else. See also how I ran about the same time you did in my Z28 when it was new (on the stock Goodyears), but other guys were there that day trapping the same 108 but running 12.8's (on stock suspension).

You can throw all the parts in the world at the car, but in the end the tires are what hook to the ground. And you say yourself you have "cheap" 255's. Get some Drag Radials, try that. Go from there. If you have a need or want for more, I can help with that, from LCA brackets to LCA's to torque arms. But I think it's premature to do that stuff with crappy tires. MHO.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The cheap street tires are hurting things far more than anything else. See also how I ran about the same time you did in my Z28 when it was new (on the stock Goodyears), but other guys were there that day trapping the same 108 but running 12.8's (on stock suspension).

You can throw all the parts in the world at the car, but in the end the tires are what hook to the ground. And you say yourself you have "cheap" 255's. Get some Drag Radials, try that. Go from there. If you have a need or want for more, I can help with that, from LCA brackets to LCA's to torque arms. But I think it's premature to do that stuff with crappy tires. MHO.

Bingo. You will never hook with those tires. Granted my car is an auto and has 1le control arms but with stock suspension and drag radials I hit 1.6s-1.7s. Weld your axle tubes if you are going to use any sticky tire and a girdle would be a good idea as well
Old 01-21-2014, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the input.

My converter is going in soon, and in a few weeks, my cam will be in.

I have already planned on getting tires, but I'll go ahead and get the tubes welded and see about a girdle.

Thanks again guys.

Sam, your springs are awesome btw. Perfect ride height, and they don't feel too stiff or too soft.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sams springs are awesome (loving them the past 7 years!) the Pro's have hit on it, you need some sticky tires. Once you have tires that launch you then you will need to start looking at suspension parts to better control the launch. Maybe the stock shocks arent helping either.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by sepsis

Sam, your springs are awesome btw. Perfect ride height, and they don't feel too stiff or too soft.

I'm glad you like them. And thanks for the pic! Pictures are worth a thousand words when it comes to folks wanting see what's what.

Sam

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

I'm glad you like them. And thanks for the pic! Pictures are worth a thousand words when it comes to folks wanting see what's what.

Sam

No problem. Feel free to use it on the site if you want.

Quick Reply: How bad is my suspension hurting my times?