Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

panhard install help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default panhard install help

Without measuring it looked like my axle wasn't centered. not sure how to do precise measurements for that, but the pass side Sat lower than the drivers. I bought an "on car" adjustable panhard. Either way I figured its an upgrade from stock. I've got the rotors off as I'm doing the brakes but I need help with the panhard. I got the nut off but can't get the bolt out, does the rear end need to be unsupported for the bolts to come out?

Once I get It on how does the adjustment work?

Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, it will help to have the rear with no load on it to take off the bolts. once you get the new panhard on, load the car and then spin that nut in the middle to whichever way the rear needs to go.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
yeah, it will help to have the rear with no load on it to take off the bolts. once you get the new panhard on, load the car and then spin that nut in the middle to whichever way the rear needs to go.
Much appreciated sir, do I adjust the nut while its under load with a jack? Or on the ground?
Old 03-01-2014, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

the car needs to be on the wheels with a load on it. Drive on ramps work great for this.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jsteele90
the car needs to be on the wheels with a load on it. Drive on ramps work great for this.
I really wish I hadn't broken my ramps last week... Trying to get a buddy out of the mud....
Old 03-01-2014, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

jack stands can work also. or just think small lol and low crawl under there!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you mean the jam nut on your new panhard bar...?

Or do you mean the bolt/nut that holds the panhard to the chassis or t the axle...? After you get the nut off, tap on the end of the bolt with a hammer to push it out, and maybe grab/pull the bolt head with pliers.

If the suspension is loaded (car is at operating ride height) it is easier to see if the adjustment has the axle is centered relative to the car (it can be done with suspension hanging, but it is harder eyeball whether axle is centered).

The adjustment simply moves the axle horizonally (side-to-side) relative to the car (it does not raise/lower one side or the other)... is this what you're asking...?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

I just installed mine got it close so that the holes lined up install the bolts.

then just lower car to ground and crawled underneath it to adjust the rearend from left to right
Old 03-02-2014, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
Originally Posted by jsteele90
jack stands can work also. or just think small lol and low crawl under there!
Originally Posted by unioncarpenter84
I just installed mine got it close so that the holes lined up install the bolts.

then just lower car to ground and crawled underneath it to adjust the rearend from left to right
Got it! Let the rear hang, little tap with a mallet and the bolts popped out, didn't even need much force with the pry bar to drop the pass side, actually one of the easier installs, much easier than my rear springs. Thanks for all the help. Still cant drive the car but it sure looks nice. maybe I should start finding that oil leak.

Quick Reply: panhard install help