Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Darty handling: where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Darty handling: where to begin?

My fairly new-to-me SS has 77k on the clock. It handles a bit darty at times, and I can tell if it's normal or not:

When coming up to roads with humps, it likes to track like its on rails... Unless you're breaking, then it gets out of sorts.

I attributed it all at first to lower-profile wheels and wide tires, but now I'm wondering if there's more to it... My daily driver and my wife's car don't track like the camaro, and those have similar tire and wheel setups (width/profile).

Since this is a second hand car, it's impossible to know if it's a trait of the car or something more. I know the tires are old, and new ones are on the way, but in the meantime are there ways I can test for weakness in the components?
Old 04-13-2014, 10:04 PM
Launching!

You may want to get an alignment, and verify the specs they use if the Camaro is lowered (lots of discussion on here of what you should target).
I would say my TA has always been a bit jumpy when braking, ever since brand new. But it has always had good handling under driving. It was starting to tramline a bit recently and follow road grooves, but new tires and alignment cured that right up.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985
My fairly new-to-me SS has 77k on the clock. It handles a bit darty at times, and I can tell if it's normal or not:

When coming up to roads with humps, it likes to track like its on rails... Unless you're breaking, then it gets out of sorts.

I attributed it all at first to lower-profile wheels and wide tires, but now I'm wondering if there's more to it... My daily driver and my wife's car don't track like the camaro, and those have similar tire and wheel setups (width/profile).

Since this is a second hand car, it's impossible to know if it's a trait of the car or something more. I know the tires are old, and new ones are on the way, but in the meantime are there ways I can test for weakness in the components?
IMO, it's either the tires or the "toe" in the front alignment is off.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, it's either the tires or the "toe" in the front alignment is off.
x2 this^
Old 04-14-2014, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

I guess I'll have to find an alignment shop around here to take a look after I install the new wheels/tires.

I was getting worried: reading some other threads it seems control arm bushings are an issue, especially with age.... It didn't seem like shocks either, but I didn't want to spend $ on an alignment, only to have to pay for another if I need to replace suspension components.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My first Fbody I spun out badly a couple of times, and have talked to a few that did same thing. If you take a turn too fast it feels grippy and then the rear will whip around fast and when you steer into it, will come around other side too. I've upgraded my suspension except for K member and upper panhard bar, and I drive it in straight lines. but be careful when cornering fast
Old 04-14-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

That's what I'm afraid of. I'll admit I'm new to the sports car world, so I'm not the most experienced driver (I've been in SUVs and trucks for years), when it comes to driving sideways....

I'm just an on-ramp racer at this point, so any crash would be guardrails, and that wouldn't be good.

I'm confident at the speeds I drive Id be able to correct (knock on wood), but if I'm dealing with rotted bushings, etc, I doubt anybody could recover.

Again, I'm at stock height right now, so the geometry is all appropriate, outside of any potential alignment issues...
Old 04-14-2014, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the beautiful thing about these cars is that there are TONS of suspension upgrades. I probably used all the vendors, shopped for a long time buying each component after researching, used dealer codes for discounts and pricing and put together a nice build kit. i upgraded to the heavy solid ST Sway bars, I also lowered with Vogtland springs, bought a reconditioned rack and pinion, and used Moog outers, and I gotta say this thing drives great!
Attached Thumbnails Darty handling: where to begin?-suspensionupgrade.jpg  
Old 04-14-2014, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RJDio
the beautiful thing about these cars is that there are TONS of suspension upgrades. I probably used all the vendors, shopped for a long time buying each component after researching, used dealer codes for discounts and pricing and put together a nice build kit. i upgraded to the heavy solid ST Sway bars, I also lowered with Vogtland springs, bought a reconditioned rack and pinion, and used Moog outers, and I gotta say this thing drives great!
Sounds like it cost a pretty penny....
Old 04-14-2014, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RJDio
My first Fbody I spun out badly a couple of times, and have talked to a few that did same thing. If you take a turn too fast it feels grippy and then the rear will whip around fast and when you steer into it, will come around other side too. I've upgraded my suspension except for K member and upper panhard bar, and I drive it in straight lines. but be careful when cornering fast
With good shocks thats not something you have to worry about...
OP I would check all the bushings and the alignment first and go from there.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

Any good ways to inspect bushings?

Quick Reply: Darty handling: where to begin?