Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension issues '99 F-body

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suspension issues '99 F-body

I've been having some problems with my 140k mile car. Nothing major, more annoying than anything. I've tried google and searched on here, but nothing confirming so far. (1.) After having new Stranos/Bilsteins installed about a month ago, my front driver side suspension squeaks out of no where about two weeks ago. Not when turning, just over bumps and dips (dips at 40mph+). What could it be? (2.) Both front sides clunk/rattle over bumps, is this normal for our cars? (3.) One of my rearward bolts on the driver side shock mount where you'd mount a STB has been missing since I bought the car. Is this something to worry about? Does anyone know the size of the bolt? I've owned it since last May (133k). Thanks for any input.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Anybody?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Could be the sway-bar bushings, but it's probably the upper shock mount nut's are loose.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Definitely recheck what was installed during springs and shocks. Also consider ball joints. Just bad timing if so going so soon after upgrades
Old 04-29-2014, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Could be the sway-bar bushings, but it's probably the upper shock mount nut's are loose.
You beat me to it.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Checked sway bar bushings, nuts/bolts on shock mounts are tight also. Lower ball joint boots are torn some, can't really tell with the uppers. Would it be worth it to buy the whole new upper shock mounts for each side for $45 a piece? Looking into having all bushings replaced sometime soon.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bluegoose177
Checked sway bar bushings, nuts/bolts on shock mounts are tight also. Lower ball joint boots are torn some, can't really tell with the uppers. Would it be worth it to buy the whole new upper shock mounts for each side for $45 a piece? Looking into having all bushings replaced sometime soon.
Check all your rubber. On my 2005 G6 with 150k miles, the tie rods were worn out(not rubber, but still) and the sway bar end links were worthless. It rattled like hell until I replaced them. Then, check the install on your front suspension for squeaks. Always look where human hands touched last
Old 04-30-2014, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had a full suspension done, lowered with new upper and lower A arms, ball joints, tie rods, etc. and it makes noises it never did. After a couple months they say to go back and check / tighten everything. Have checked, tightened, and lubed mine, even had a body shop look it over and alignment. Still makes clunky noises sometimes, not sure why but it's all in tight. I've sat and watched sweet lowered cars roll in at car shows and some of those make noises too. I just roll with it.

Quick Reply: Suspension issues '99 F-body