Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My car is leaning to one side

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Angry My car is leaning to one side

When you stand behind my car, you can see that it leans to drivers side. What causes this?

Old 05-29-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's opposite of normal lean (usually driver side is a tad higher than passenger).

I'd check all the springs on that side to be sure they are seated correctly, not broken, mounts are good, etc. Rear shocks will not affect ride height. Front could since the springs sits on the shock body.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Panhard bar?
Old 05-29-2014, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah and my fat *** in the driver's seat doesn't help, I'm sure, HA!

Thanks man!
Old 05-29-2014, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just had my MWC FAB9 installed, I wonder if that's causing an issue? From what I recall, they couldn't get some bar back in because of the size of the rear, maybe it was the panhard bar? I no nothing about suspensions
Old 05-29-2014, 10:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Panhard bar will not effect ride height, only rear end centering. Does the rear end have a tight posi or a spool? I have seen some cars actually bind the suspension when parking after making a sharp turn like into a parking spot, causing it to lean to one side. A factory style posi unit will not do this though. What springs do you have? It is possible that you have a spring sagging, or one of the spring perches welded to the housing incorrectly. Measure the height from the top of the fender well opening to the ground on all 4 corners and post up what you find. Stock height is normally around 27"
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-29-2014, 10:51 AM
o2k
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was ready a thread a few days ago and a member said something like he was able to fix his lean by messing with his sway bar.. I think he said he used Some sort Of spacer..
Old 05-29-2014, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Panhard bar will not effect ride height, only rear end centering. Does the rear end have a tight posi or a spool? I have seen some cars actually bind the suspension when parking after making a sharp turn like into a parking spot, causing it to lean to one side. A factory style posi unit will not do this though. What springs do you have? It is possible that you have a spring sagging, or one of the spring perches welded to the housing incorrectly. Measure the height from the top of the fender well opening to the ground on all 4 corners and post up what you find. Stock height is normally around 27"
It's a spool.

The car is in the body shop right now getting some hood work done on the VFN pin on so I don't have access to it, but I'll try to get those #'s ASAP.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by o2k
I was ready a thread a few days ago and a member said something like he was able to fix his lean by messing with his sway bar.. I think he said he used Some sort Of spacer..
While it would be possible, to fix it this way, I would advise against it. Because you will be preloading the sway bar to put pressure on the lower side to raise it. You are essentially using your sway bar as additional spring rate to make up for another height issue
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-29-2014, 11:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
It's a spool.

The car is in the body shop right now getting some hood work done on the VFN pin on so I don't have access to it, but I'll try to get those #'s ASAP.
If it is spooled, I can bet this is what is going on. Try this; park the car after driving straight for 20-30 ft or so to make sure the suspension preoload is settled out for any turning. Then get out and look at your car and see if it looks level. If so, that is what is happening. If it still leans, it sounds like it may be a spring/isolator/mounting pad issue
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-29-2014, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
If it is spooled, I can bet this is what is going on. Try this; park the car after driving straight for 20-30 ft or so to make sure the suspension preoload is settled out for any turning. Then get out and look at your car and see if it looks level. If so, that is what is happening. If it still leans, it sounds like it may be a spring/isolator/mounting pad issue
Thanks, will do!
Old 05-30-2014, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jack the car up on the passengers side and leave it for 10-15 minutes. Seems the sway bar bushings if stock can have some play.

Its most noticeable after doing your own oil change, atleast it was for me because you jack the car on the drivers side

Quick Reply: My car is leaning to one side