Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

help with this pinion angle vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help with this pinion angle vibration.

First, I've done a search and adjusted the angle at least a dozen times to range between 0 and -3 for my M6. The vibration is horrible above 80mph. Now after reading 4x4 forums I may have found the problem. I have the bmr trans crossmount and stock new mount. I think the crossmount allows the tranny to sit at a lower angle than 0. Actually my tranny points down about 1.5 degrees.. So here lies the problem, I think. My current set up is figure one. The only way I can get and equal but opposite angle would be if I oriented the trans like figure 2. However, Im not sure if that's possible. Maybe with some shims. The other option would be to adjust the torque arm to make the rear face upward 1.5 degrees to be equal but opposite the tranny. However I'm scared that making a positive pinion angle of 1.5 to 2 will actually result in me breaking something on launch. Please take a real look at the figure and give advice. Again, I've adjusted this angle multiple times. and I'm familiar with BMR's video. I think the tranny hanging low has been the problem all the time.
Attached Thumbnails help with this pinion angle vibration.-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

1st photo was rotated
Attached Thumbnails help with this pinion angle vibration.-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no thoughts?
I may have it figured though
Old 05-30-2014, 04:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Your transmission should be pointing down towards the rear of the car. Your pinion angle is just the comparison between the driveline angle and the actual pinion measurement. See this diagram for clarification:
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-30-2014, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 4L80 trans crossmember with a poly mount is at +2.5* so idk how yours is angled down. My rear diff is around -2.5* unfortunately short of shimming down my crossmember i have no way to lower the engine/driveline angle. I've heard from a few people that the best way to get the engine/trans angle is from the balancer itself since it's easier to get an accurate measurement. My car is lowered also. I keep adjusting mine too to get it better. It's a minor vibration in mine cruising at 70 but the car has always been stiff with subframe connectors, a bunch of BMR stuff in the car, big wheels, lowered, poly trans mount. It's somewhat normal but i've had mine around 90 mph since i did my trans and it doesn't get any worse from what i can tell
Old 05-30-2014, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

I need help adjusting my pinion angle
Old 05-31-2014, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

My trans was pointing down 3 degrees with the BMR crossmember. You cannot shim that out, it's too much angle. I aimed the rearend up 3 degrees so the angles matched and my high speed vibes went away.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

What trans is in yours? I wanna get mine back on my dads shops frame rack and check all this again. Part of me thinks its still not dialed in.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Check this thread. As 01 said, the trans & pinion angles should match.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I think the biggest problem is people confusing terminology. Most people say that their trans is pointing down, and think this is a problem because the pinion is pointing up. As the diagram I posted above shows, even when this is the case, they are still on a matching plane, and both angle upwards towards the front of the car. Another issue we see a lot is people will use their angle finder on the tailshaft of the trans and get a measurement, then spin the the angle finder around to measure the pinion flange. Then they end up with a positive measurement and a negative measurement. The angle MUST be measured from the same side, with the angle finder facing the same direction to accurately compare angles. I normally recommend to measure from the crank pulley while reading from the passenger side of the car, then move directly back and measure the rear u-joint yoke on the rear end. This way you will end up with measurements that are accurately related to each other.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah see i was told to read from the drivers side lol. This is where the confusion is coming from.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It doesn't matter which side of the car the reading is taken from. What's important is that both of your readings are taken from the same side.

Most of the angle tools available are so inaccurate the numbers basically mean nothing. How you use the tool determines your success.

Eric posted some very good info. I say throw away all the -+ and visualize it/ draw it out on paper. What you want is phased joints and you can get it two ways...it looks like this:

Old 06-02-2014, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

So when you go under load how much does the pinion move and does it try to angle up or does it push down? Idk why this **** is so confusing lol. Right now my trans would technically be facing down about 2.5° then since I was thinking of it by what I was reading on the gauge. So when I angle my pinion down I'm moving it in the wrong direction I actually want to to go up so that they are in equal but opposite directions. That means my pinion angle may be too far angled down. Since my car has a fairly easily adjustable torque arm mount on the crossmember I may slowly adjust up until it feels tolerable or perfect. Right now my BMR crossmember has the torque arm set to the 2nd lowest spot on the xmembers plate.

Last edited by Cole Train; 06-03-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

All this adjusting to get it dialed in is making me want an adjustable torque arm lol.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP -

Something to consider, your driveshaft may need to be either straightened and / or balanced to completely resolve this vibration issue.

Good Luck!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:29 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cole Train
So when you go under load how much does the pinion move and does it try to angle up or does it push down? Idk why this **** is so confusing lol. Right now my trans would technically be facing down about 2.5° then since I was thinking of it by what I was reading on the gauge. So when I angle my pinion down I'm moving it in the wrong direction I actually want to to go up so that they are in equal but opposite directions. That means my pinion angle may be too far angled down. Since my car has a fairly easily adjustable torque arm mount on the crossmember I may slowly adjust up until it feels tolerable or perfect. Right now my BMR crossmember has the torque arm set to the 2nd lowest spot on the xmembers plate.
The recommendation we make for setting your pinion to -2* is to allow for bushing preload. As the suspension comes under load from acceleration, there is normally about 2* of "wrap up" where the axle rotates upwards to the extent the bushings will allow. This way when your drivetrain is under load, the u-joints are as close to being equal as possible. With rod end control arms and chassis mounted torque arms, we generally only suggest 1 or 0* of downward pinion because the axle will not wrap nearly as much with these types of ends.

Kevin97ss posted a good representation of what you should be looking for. Ideally, you want your u-joints to be bent an equal amount in opposite directions
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cole Train
Yeah see i was told to read from the drivers side lol. This is where the confusion is coming from.
Honestly, it does not matter which side you measure from, as long as you measure both from the same side. I just normally recommend the passenger side because the angle finders that we offer, as well as most other suppliers, has a flat measuring surface on the left side making it easier to get a good reading
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-03-2014, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
It doesn't matter which side of the car the reading is taken from. What's important is that both of your readings are taken from the same side.

Most of the angle tools available are so inaccurate the numbers basically mean nothing. How you use the tool determines your success.

Eric posted some very good info. I say throw away all the -+ and visualize it/ draw it out on paper. What you want is phased joints and you can get it two ways...it looks like this:

I set mine exactly like the top figure and my vibes went away.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

So do we want the angles to look like that picture when its under load or just resting? Because it would seem that it would be a different angle on the pinion end when's under load if you make them the same when they are just at rest. And by that I mean under load you would have the front at say 2° and the rear at 0° if you did them both at 2 while in the air. Also under load means when you're driving and not just meaning the cars on the ground and on all 4 tires correct?
Old 06-04-2014, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

The car drives at rest more or less. It only squats under heavy acceleration so that's the only time pinion angle changes. And even then its not a ton. If you have vibes, get rid of them, then see how far negative you can go before they return. Most say you want about -2 with stock suspensions stuff (rubber) and -1 if its all poly or rod ended stuff.

Quick Reply: help with this pinion angle vibration.