Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sound of a broken Torque rem or transmission mount?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound of a broken Torque rem or transmission mount?

hey guys,

I am trying to diagnose a knocking sound I've been hearing for a few days. I thought it was coming from the rear of the car, but after driving around an underground parking lot with the windows up, I believe its coming from the area under the shifter.

Now to my knowledge, there is a transmission mount/bushing and a torque arm bushing there. I think its the torque arm as it makes the noise at slow speeds, nothing on the highway. As well as it makes the noise when I hit the accelerator or the brakes at slow speeds and if I hit bumps, normally only with one rear wheel. its kind of a dull thud, almost like someone wacking the undercarrage with a rubber mallet.

if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great, I was going to get under the car tomorrow and start yanking at things.

thanks
Old 09-03-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was making noise under the tunnel by the shifter when my stock torque arm mount was shot. Now it makes noise in the back because my S60 is hitting the tunnel where the TA connects. It's always something. I would replace the torque arm mount because it sounds like you are having the same problem I had.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MTN_Z
Mine was making noise under the tunnel by the shifter when my stock torque arm mount was shot. Now it makes noise in the back because my S60 is hitting the tunnel where the TA connects. It's always something. I would replace the torque arm mount because it sounds like you are having the same problem I had.
Awesome thanks, I'm probably on the right track then, much appreciated!
Old 09-05-2014, 04:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

umm.... Getting under the car with a flashlight is the easiest way to diagnose your problem.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

From what you are saying it sounds like the torque bushing/mount is the issue but I would get up underneath the car and visually inspect everything. The transmission mount can also be noisy when it goes bad but you generally hear the noise when you are accelerating or shifting gears.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My torque arm was loose where it bolts into the rear end, and bushing where it bolts into the tailshaft of the tranny was also bad. Made a clicking/clunking sound every time I would let off the gas and weight transferred to the front. The thing was also rattling around over bumps in the rear where it was loose. Nice cheap fix though!
Old 09-05-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If, at a stop you mash on the gas and it feels like someone is kicking you directly under the seat it the tq arm. If you feel it under the shifter it the trans.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I got under it and checked everything. Torque arm bushing and bolts are all fine, trans mount is fine, lubed up my rear sway bar bushings and checked end links, they're fine. Checked roto joints and lubed them, they're fine. I'm thinking it's the exhaust cause there is some play in it up and down, maybe 3/8-1/2" of play up and down. I'll try and tighten that.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

I'm having the same issue where if i get on the gas i get the "kicking under the seat" sound and the noise of a rubber mallet hitting under the car if i hit a bump. doesn't sound like the exhaust to me. could it be a shock failure or LCA's loose?
Old 09-23-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

it was my exhaust hitting my upper pan hard rod brace. i ordered a relocation kit to give it some extra room my exhaust hangers are bowed out a little oval probably due to a lack of any give in the exhaust system, they have been getting pulled on hard lol

Quick Reply: Sound of a broken Torque rem or transmission mount?