Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Worn out springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Worn out springs?

I bought a 2001 SS with 80,xxx miles on it. It has had an eibach pro kit on it for at least 7 years. How can you tell if the springs need to be replaced, as I don't know how the car sat when the springs were new.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pics would be greatly appreciated. Lots of people say that some Eibach springs sag and I would like to see if they do or not. Plus most of us know where a good stance is and we could probably tell you if it's sagging at all from the pics.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Here you go
Attached Thumbnails Worn out springs?-ss-001.jpg  
Old 10-25-2014, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

from what I've read its the spring marketed for the LS1 4th gens that have the sagging issue, the LT1 pro-kit is as well known for it, any spring has the chance of sagging, I know my factory front springs where so sagged that when switching to BMR springs and Bilstein shocks I only dropped an 1/8th of an inch up front.

basically if you are having trouble with bottoming out on the rear or you feel the rear sits to low, then that is how you know when to replace them.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the Eibach sportlines on my LT1 T/A for a long time and suspected one of them was sagging so I put on new BMR rears and that took care of most of the leaning issue.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Shutout
I bought a 2001 SS with 80,xxx miles on it. It has had an eibach pro kit on it for at least 7 years. How can you tell if the springs need to be replaced, as I don't know how the car sat when the springs were new.
Your best bet is take a ride height measurement (all 4 corners) of where your car currently sits with the Eibach lowering springs and I can compare it to the factory ride height numbers to see where the car is actually sitting at.

The Eibach springs are very prone to sag over time so I wouldn't be surprised if yours were doing it also.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2

The Eibach springs are very prone to sag over time so I wouldn't be surprised if yours were doing it also.
After a funny talk with one of my friends about the Eibachs I'm going have to coin the term "I've got the saggin E's" after them
Old 10-27-2014, 09:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat Seeker WS6
After a funny talk with one of my friends about the Eibachs I'm going have to coin the term "I've got the saggin E's" after them
You have no idea how many people that we talk to that have the "Sagging E's" and people still buy them all the time. They just aren't a good quality spring for these cars.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-27-2014, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
You have no idea how many people that we talk to that have the "Sagging E's" and people still buy them all the time. They just aren't a good quality spring for these cars.
People buy them because no other spring manufacturer make a spring that lowers the car to that ride height. To some people looks are more important than track functionality. Doesn't mean it's right but that is why.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Those look ok to me.. I mean in so far as them not being all ragged out. They aren't sagging. You might prefer other spring rates and such, and some want the car to have more of a rake to it. What you have there is typical of a normal set of Eibach LS1 springs.

If you are looking to help the ride, my guess is it's on pretty poor 80k mile shocks. And that's the place to start. Now you might opt to change springs at the same time, and sell those (making some money back to offset costs). But as far as those being worn out, nope.. they look just like I'd expect.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-27-2014, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Those look ok to me.. I mean in so far as them not being all ragged out. They aren't sagging. You might prefer other spring rates and such, and some want the car to have more of a rake to it. What you have there is typical of a normal set of Eibach LS1 springs.

If you are looking to help the ride, my guess is it's on pretty poor 80k mile shocks. And that's the place to start. Now you might opt to change springs at the same time, and sell those (making some money back to offset costs). But as far as those being worn out, nope.. they look just like I'd expect.
I figure if I am going to change the shocks, I might as well change the springs. The car is going to be street driven only. I'm looking to raise the car slightly yet still get great handling. Sway bars are in the future.

Quick Reply: Worn out springs?