Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wanting to upgrade my suspension. Few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wanting to upgrade my suspension. Few Q's

I'm at the point with my car that I want to upgrade the suspension.

I really like how it rides (Like stock), and for the most part, I want to keep it that way, but I read all these post stating that our stock shocks are garbage, so if I can improve the ride, I will.

I have 116K on the stock shocks.

I was considering lowering the car at the same time, but will that make the ride more "bumpy?" I also have long tubes that sometimes scrape on heavy dips and speed bumps. Any of you guys run long tubes with this issue. Did it suck after lowering the car? I also have a deep trans pan that I'm worried about, so I'm leaning heavier on not lowering vs. lowering it. I just don't think it will be a good idea. But it will look good.

How about shocks. What are your thoughts on the Bilsteins vs the Koni Str.t or whatever that lower end Koni is? About the same? Will it truly make a noticble difference?

The other option, which my friend is adimate about, is QA1 coil overs in the front, and heater hose in the rear. Do the QA1's suck on the street. I do drag race, but not much.

Lastly, should I replace the bushings in the front end. Upon research, this seems to be a pain in the *** to do. Is it worth it?

I am a newb at suspension, but I'm researching and trying to learn. I do have rear LCA's and DA PHB.

Last edited by ybaslo1; 03-20-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of options out there... really depends on your budget.

Give us a call, we would love t go over your setup and discuss what is right for your needs.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ybaslo1
I'm at the point with my car that I want to upgrade the suspension.

I really like how it rides (Like stock), and for the most part, I want to keep it that way, but I read all these post stating that our stock shocks are garbage, so if I can improve the ride, I will.

I have 116K on the stock shocks.

I was considering lowering the car at the same time, but will that make the ride more "bumpy?" I also have long tubes that sometimes scrape on heavy dips and speed bumps. Any of you guys run long tubes with this issue. Did it suck after lowering the car? I also have a deep trans pan that I'm worried about, so I'm leaning heavier on not lowering vs. lowering it. I just don't think it will be a good idea. But it will look good.

How about shocks. What are your thoughts on the Bilsteins vs the Koni Str.t or whatever that lower end Koni is? About the same? Will it truly make a noticble difference?

The other option, which my friend is adimate about, is QA1 coil overs in the front, and heater hose in the rear. Do the QA1's suck on the street. I do drag race, but not much.

Lastly, should I replace the bushings in the front end. Upon research, this seems to be a pain in the *** to do. Is it worth it?

I am a newb at suspension, but I'm researching and trying to learn. I do have rear LCA's and DA PHB.
Really depends on what your goals are.
Drag shocks like the Vikings, QA1s, Afco, Stange and the like are not going to compare to a proper gas charged shock like a Koni or bilstien in terms of ride quality, handling and ability to dampen a spring.
Just because a shock has "adjustments" and can be "made stiff" doesn't mean they can properly dampen a spring and have actual good handling. Not all shocks adjust the same way and not all shocks are valved the same.
If you are interested in better ride quality (more solid and less jarring) and a more connected feel to the road then bilstiens or konis or something similar is what you would want.
A Koni STR or SLP bilsteins shocks would make a very noticeable difference on an fbody with brand new decarbon shocks, none the less ones with 100K+ miles on them.
For what its worth I replaced my "better valved" WS6 Decarbon shocks at ~40,000 miles with Koni Sport single adjustables and it was the biggest difference out of anything Ive done to the car by far (I have just about "full suspension").
Ive also been in cars with QA1s and other drag shocks, you might as well be driving a dump truck.

Lowering will make the car ride more "bumpy" but with proper spring rates and proper height (not slammed), and proper shocks to damp those springs its not bad at all, arguably still a better ride than stock (because of the shocks working so much better).
Old 03-20-2015, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get Adj. Coilovers and all your worries will be covered. Want it hard.. set it hard. Wants is soft.. set it soft. Like it low.. set it low. Like it high.. set it high. Win/Win.

I'm using viking coilovers on the street on a daily driver. Real daily driver.. 50 miles a day. For the price you can't beat them. If you want to go hard core handling.. not sure why you bought a TA if this was your goal... . then Koni's or other handling hard core coilovers would be better but at a much higher cost. If bumpy ride is a concern.. then maybe a caddy would be a car for you? J/K that has to do with WHAT stiffness in spring they chose. There is drag racing 300 or less then the 350+ springs you can choose.

Bushings.. yes. If yours are stock they will more than likely shatter off or break. Mine did. Swaybar bushings will be a must more than like. Others are case by case.

Last edited by blaine123; 03-20-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blaine123
Just get Adj. Coilovers and all your worries will be covered. Want it hard.. set it hard. Wants is soft.. set it soft. Like it low.. set it low. Like it high.. set it high. Win/Win.
Except "soft" doesn't always mean soft ride, and "stiff" doesn't mean good handling or ride, especially with a drag shock.
I'm using viking coilovers on the street on a daily driver. Real daily driver.. 50 miles a day. For the price you can't beat them. If you want to go hard core handling.. not sure why you bought a TA if this was your goal... . then Koni's or other handling hard core coilovers would be better but at a much higher cost.
The Koni SA/Strano spring setup is roughly $100 more than vikings and would embarrass a viking car on a track while riding better as well. With the right parts you can hang with/pass higher end great handling cars on the track for WAY cheaper than purchasing said car.
There is a good reason the vikings are so cheap for an adjustable coilover.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Except "soft" doesn't always mean soft ride, and "stiff" doesn't mean good handling or ride, especially with a drag shock.

The Koni SA/Strano spring setup is roughly $100 more than vikings and would embarrass a viking car on a track while riding better as well. With the right parts you can hang with/pass higher end great handling cars on the track for WAY cheaper than purchasing said car.
Strt's will run you about 320 for all 4 at BMR. I just bought some with stock springs. Haven't got them yet but I hear good things.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD_AMG

I think that depends on the type of track... in the 1/4 mile I don't think so.

Whatever suspension you pick you won't go wrong. Still miles better than stock either way. Just need to decide what your car will be used for.

Last edited by blaine123; 03-20-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blaine123
I think that depends on the type of track... in the 1/4 mile I don't think so.

Whatever suspension you pick you won't go wrong. Still miles better than stock either way. Just need to decide what your car will be used for.
Well we're talking about handling, not quarter mile passes. And yea pretty any shock will ride better than stock but it's important to know where you're going with the car to prevent buying the same parts twice...

I have the koni SA/strano spring setup and as JD_AMG said there was a huge difference, and if anything it rode better. If that's the route you wanna go, and have the budget for it, you won't regret it
Old 03-21-2015, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Imo, if you already scrape the headers now, it'll scrape them a lot more if you lower the car. So, in that regard I'd recommend just installing new shocks, like the Bilsteins which I feel have a better build quality than the Koni STR.T shocks.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:20 AM
Staging Lane

I just changed my setup from stock to koni str.t, strano springs and bars, and rear lca/panhard. Do most of my driving in the city on crap roads and its bumpy as hell. Took an hour ride out to my brothers house yesterday, half freeway half highway, and still rough as hell even over slight bumps. Corners amazing, twice as good as stock, but is a kidney crusher even over slight bumps. For a daily driver I honestly wouldn't recommend it
Old 03-24-2015, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys, I think I'm just going to order some bilsteins and be done. What should all be replaced when to doing shocks? Strut bearings, dust boots, etc....? Should I just get gm stuff?

Quick Reply: Wanting to upgrade my suspension. Few Q's