Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

QA1 Shocks vs. the world

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default QA1 Shocks vs. the world

...or the "I haven't had an argument lately" suspension thread.

So, I've seen the dozen or so threads that preach the evils of going with QA1 shocks vs. Koni, Afco, Strange, etc (all apparently better). What I'd like to know is:

Is there a specific design issue with the QA1 (or Viking) SAs or DAs that predisposes them to royal suckage when compared to their more universally adored brethren? I ask because my experience with these shocks paints a completely different picture.

First, I had QA1 DA coilovers in front, and QA1 SA shocks in back. The car handled very well. When I upgraded to composite leafs, I dropped some coin on Viking DAs for the back. Viking and QA1 are apparently kissing cousins.

The car handled like a dream. Very precise. None of the floaty, wallowing feel most attribute to QA1s. On the track, it posts good lap times (1:13 Autobahn north course, 2:41 Road America) and is consistently a top performer. These are not "drag shocks" by any stretch.

Now, I understand that shocks are just one part of a suspension system, and other parts like sway bars, springs, control arms, tires, wheels, etc all contribute (or potentially harm) performance.

But, at any rate, I'd like to hear opinions and real-world experiences. Maybe I'll learn something.

Last edited by 1981TA; 07-14-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

I just recently switched from QA1 to ridetechs setup, but I cant give any reviews yet as the car is currently not drivable due to tuning issues AGAIN!

I had qa1 single adjustable with 350lb spring on the front and just a sa shock on the back with my old eibach springs. There were a few things I didnt like, but I dont know that I am educated enough on the subject to say they are good or bad design.

I felt like the the coil had to be choked up on the valve body quite a bit to achieve desired ride height compared to the ridetech coilovers i just installed. I actually had to put spring compressors on the qa1 so I could adjust the set ring on the body. I also felt like no matter of adjustment gave me what I wanted. It seemed either to rigid or to soft but no compromise point between the two.

something to consider on my opinion though is it was all street driving, and I have an iron block up front.

supporting mods on my car is all tubed upper and lower a arms, LCA, adj phb, chassis mount torque arm, 18mm rear sway bar, and 1le front sway.

It just never felt like my expectation, which was something that was firm but not rough. i would equate the Qa1 setup to a riding lawnmower as far as how it handle bumps in the road. taking it into a turn was always something I couldnt comfortably gauge its limits. It always felt sloppy in a turn, where previously the car felt more nimble with stock shocks and eibach springs.

Last edited by blackbyrd; 07-15-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Viking double adjustable coilovers, front and rear, on my WS6, and while I can't compare them to Koni's, Afco, Strange, etc., I've been nothing but happy with them. The car rides so much better than it did with the stock setup, which is too be expected, but what I like most about them is the infinite adjustability I have. I plan to play around with the settings more, but even now with the drag adjustments, the car drives great on the street, handles corners like a dream, and just overall provides me with a much better ride than stock.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I have the Viking double adjustable coilovers, front and rear, on my WS6, and while I can't compare them to Koni's, Afco, Strange, etc., I've been nothing but happy with them. The car rides so much better than it did with the stock setup, which is too be expected, but what I like most about them is the infinite adjustability I have. I plan to play around with the settings more, but even now with the drag adjustments, the car drives great on the street, handles corners like a dream, and just overall provides me with a much better ride than stock.
+1 here with the Viking double adjustables on all 4 corners. I just switched up settings from straight drag racing to in between drag racing and ride quality and it made the ride COMPLETELY different. Coilovers are the way to go and Vikings are cheap enough to compete with the prices of even Koni's.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the main "issue" or argument is with most people is gas charged vs oil charged.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Hiss, you hit the nail on the head with that one. A non-gas charged shock will fade as the oil heats up in the shock. 81, you may not notice it right now, but as you do more track events you may start to feel the car's performance fall off towards the end of a session. Also, the Viking shock dyno graphs floating around here are bs. They look nothing like most shock dyno graphs, for example just look at the graph ridetech just posted in the autocross/street/strip thread.

All in all, you really can't get a good idea of how a top quality shock functions until you actually use them. People think Konis are great, they are good for out of the box stuff, but like anything they can be improved. For example, there is a local 4th gen that has Penske shocks. My spring rates are 650/275 with konis, his are 1000/400 (might be 450). His car is FAR more compliant than mine. It handles bumps better, and stays settled when my car looses its compliance and the car starts to move around.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All these threads have a common theme. . .so to keep from posting this 900 times please take a look at this thread (as mentioned by 79 T/A above):
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...t-strip-4.html

If you'd all like I can start a new thread (in whatever section you choose) and we can put all this shock talk in there. Whatever you all want.

My main goal is to educate people on shocks. . .everything and anything. . .and there's A LOT to cover. It'll get deep, but I'll try to keep it as simple and civilized as possible.
Each shock has it's place; and through these discussions the masses will figure out what shock fits in what place (price, performance, crazy "gotta have it" crap, whatever the case may be).
Old 07-15-2015, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Performance is all relative. To someone who has been driving a 60's Cadillac all their life, a Toyota Tacoma would be a huge handling upgrade.

So when you go from stock DeCarbon truck shocks to QA1's, there will be a noticeable difference. Hell of a lot better than stock for sure. But until you have ridden in a properly setup car with Ridetech's, Koni's, Bilstein's...etc you can't really claim which is best. I'm a satisfied Koni customer and while I have ridden in cars with other setups, they never pushed the car enough to where I could compare handling. So until I find another F-Body on coilovers at my autocross, I can't compare my setup to others. But Sam Strano has not only ridden but designed and raced cars with different suspension setups so when he suggested Koni's, it's because they are proven to work. That's all reasoning I needed to buy a set

Last edited by M4N14C; 07-15-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

^that thread has some of the most indepth info I have seen on understanding shocks and its not a sales pitch its just info.

I had no idea what the graphs actually ment when they were posted, so I was really glad to see it not only explained as to what the data represented but also how convert what you are seeing into something that is actually comparable to real world environments
Old 07-15-2015, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marolf101x
All these threads have a common theme. . .so to keep from posting this 900 times please take a look at this thread (as mentioned by 79 T/A above):
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...t-strip-4.html

If you'd all like I can start a new thread (in whatever section you choose) and we can put all this shock talk in there. Whatever you all want.

My main goal is to educate people on shocks. . .everything and anything. . .and there's A LOT to cover. It'll get deep, but I'll try to keep it as simple and civilized as possible.
Each shock has it's place; and through these discussions the masses will figure out what shock fits in what place (price, performance, crazy "gotta have it" crap, whatever the case may be).
You got my attention there. Do you envision a thread along the lines of Ron Sutton's stuff on Pro-Touring, but focused on shocks? I'm all for that.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Hiss, you hit the nail on the head with that one. A non-gas charged shock will fade as the oil heats up in the shock. 81, you may not notice it right now, but as you do more track events you may start to feel the car's performance fall off towards the end of a session. Also, the Viking shock dyno graphs floating around here are bs. They look nothing like most shock dyno graphs, for example just look at the graph ridetech just posted in the autocross/street/strip thread.

All in all, you really can't get a good idea of how a top quality shock functions until you actually use them. People think Konis are great, they are good for out of the box stuff, but like anything they can be improved. For example, there is a local 4th gen that has Penske shocks. My spring rates are 650/275 with konis, his are 1000/400 (might be 450). His car is FAR more compliant than mine. It handles bumps better, and stays settled when my car looses its compliance and the car starts to move around.
So fading is a serious concern on oil-charged shocks. Good point, and something to keep in mind.

I'll also have to take a critical eye toward compliance in my car. When the shocks are adjusted appropriately for conditions (soft for street, stiff for road race, etc), I haven't felt anything that made me think "hmm, that's not quite up to snuff." But then, I don't have anything to compare it to, besides the stock shocks, which are a distant and unreliable memory.

FWIW, I'm currently at 450/225, with a solid 1.25" front sway bar and a Watts link in back (no sway bar).
Old 07-15-2015, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny you should mention Ron. . .he and I work together a bit, talk a lot, and share a lot of the same theories.
His posts on Pro-Touring are what I hope my posts can be.
He does an incredible job of parlaying technical data to the lay person.

If you'd like I can get Ron to chime in on my threads (or post his own) regarding shocks or anything else you'd like to know.

I want this to be an educational tool for everyone. Just like all other areas we've worked in, the more educated the end user, the more customers we end up having.
Obviously I'm biased toward the Ridetech/Fox architecture. But after growing up in dirt track on Ohlins, Bilstein and Integra, then being in charge of a number of shock options at Ridetech I've learned a few things. When we went searching for the next shock supplier I needed not only a great shock company to supply us parts, but also a shock company that was willing to let me into the "inner folds" on shock design and development. I may not be a full time shock designer, but I'm getting closer!

Not only do we control all aspects of the design of the outside of the shock and mounts, but we have a full in-house assortment of every part Fox offers so we can design and build our own shocks, with whatever configuration we want.
You want some screwed up, crazy valve code you think will work. . .I'll try to talk you out of it, but if you are convincing enough, I'll build it for you. We all might just learn something.

Just at a side note a couple of posts back M4N14C mentioned the DeCarbon truck shock (also used in the OE 4th gen dampers). If anyone would like to know about it (or it's siblings; Bi-State Monotube, Bi-State Real Time Damping, magnetorheological [MR], whatever) just ask. I've been fortunate to work with a ton of shock manufactures, including Delphi, who own MR in the auto world.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
^^^THIS!!

The Vikings and QA1s were designed first and foremost as a drag race damper, with the capability to be 'streetable'.
They may be just fine on the street, and around street speed corners for those who main concern is weight transfer to the rear, and getting that < 1.5 60'/going fast in a straight line.

I would not even DARE mention them in the same breath as a; Penske, Moton, Ohlins, Reigert, etc.

I have a Koni DA/coilover conversion on my f body and I KNOW that they are nowhere even close to the above mentioned premium/elite dampers, but they were all I could afford at the time, and I KNEW that they would be better than ANY of the popular 'drag race' shocks offered for my handling purposes, even IF they were re-valved.

Now that Ride Tech is on the scene, maybe we won't have to sell our kidneys and first born to be able to afford functional, pro level, handling oriented, dampers.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Something else that people need to keep in mind turning the **** on your shock != revalving.

The ridetech shock dynos are what I would expect a shock dyno to look like, the viking ones that BMR posted just don't seem real...Personally I'm really leaning towards a ridetech + strano sway bar setup sometime this year.

For most people though, just getting the stock decarbons swapped with almost anything will make a huge difference. How many miles are people getting out of the vikings before a rebuild?
Old 07-15-2015, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
Something else that people need to keep in mind turning the **** on your shock != revalving.

The ridetech shock dynos are what I would expect a shock dyno to look like, the viking ones that BMR posted just don't seem real...Personally I'm really leaning towards a ridetech + strano sway bar setup sometime this year.

For most people though, just getting the stock decarbons swapped with almost anything will make a huge difference. How many miles are people getting out of the vikings before a rebuild?
This completely. Most people with the (I said most) are coming from a stock style setup. I have yet to see anyone go from a higher end setup (koni/ridetech) or (strange/AFCO) to a Viking. Like I said in another thread Vikings are made to do both good but when building specific car the higher end setups will always prevail.

Just like a NA cam will work on a Turbo setup. But a turbo cam will work better.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1981TA
...or the "I haven't had an argument lately" suspension thread.

So, I've seen the dozen or so threads that preach the evils of going with QA1 shocks vs. Koni, Afco, Strange, etc (all apparently better). What I'd like to know is:

Is there a specific design issue with the QA1 (or Viking) SAs or DAs that predisposes them to royal suckage when compared to their more universally adored brethren? I ask because my experience with these shocks paints a completely different picture.

First, I had QA1 DA coilovers in front, and QA1 SA shocks in back. The car handled very well. When I upgraded to composite leafs, I dropped some coin on Viking DAs for the back. Viking and QA1 are apparently kissing cousins.

The car handled like a dream. Very precise. None of the floaty, wallowing feel most attribute to QA1s. On the track, it posts good lap times (1:13 Autobahn north course, 2:41 Road America) and is consistently a top performer. These are not "drag shocks" by any stretch.

Now, I understand that shocks are just one part of a suspension system, and other parts like sway bars, springs, control arms, tires, wheels, etc all contribute (or potentially harm) performance.

But, at any rate, I'd like to hear opinions and real-world experiences. Maybe I'll learn something.
You got me thinking, specifically which model of the QA1 did you go with? Maybe the ones you got are not available for the 4th gens, or are valved way better or something.
They are right out of the box right? No custom valving or anything changed?
On a similar note, how much of a difference did you notice with the Vikings over the QA1s? Other than the double adjustable vs single adjustable, did you notice a difference in rebound dampening? Was the rear more planted with them?
Anyway, everything Ive experienced and read has pointed to the QA1s being a budget drag shock disguise as a "protouring" coilover. Every review Ive ever read where the owner has compared a sport shock, the sport shock is always way way better, and not just at the track. There was no comparison at all to Koni SAs when I rode in a QA1 4th gen, felt like an S10 pickup.
This is kinda a funny video i stumbled upon when watching kitcar/supercar build videos, you will recognize the shocks that were being used that the owner/race driver didn't like for all the same reasons everyone else on here was saying.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had QA1 DA's front and rear, and even though they weren't bad, they were never nearly as good as even running a set Bilstein HD shocks. With the QA1 DA's I could never get the rebound dialed in. The regular Bilstein HD shock the had were clearly better with ride and handling. Furthermore the Koni SA's I run now are even a clear step up from the Bilsteins. IMO, if you really want your car to handle it's best you just can skimp on the shocks; QA1's just won't get you there.
I understand that not everybody wants or needs a really great set of shock .many are very happy with good(not great) shocks to meet the needs .
Old 07-16-2015, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You got me thinking, specifically which model of the QA1 did you go with? Maybe the ones you got are not available for the 4th gens, or are valved way better or something.
They are right out of the box right? No custom valving or anything changed?
On a similar note, how much of a difference did you notice with the Vikings over the QA1s? Other than the double adjustable vs single adjustable, did you notice a difference in rebound dampening? Was the rear more planted with them?
True, I'm running a second gen, and the suspension design is quite different (upper/lower A-Arms in front, leafs in back), but... I *think* the core design of the shock I used (QA1 GD501-10450C) is the same as what you'd get for a 4th gen. There are some differences in length and mounting hardware. I don't recall the exact model of the viking shock in the rear, unfortunately. I can say, however, that I don't really notice a whole lot of difference between the Viking DAs and the QA1 SAs I had originally. Some extra adjustability is about it.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

First of all, in this day and age it's less than ideal that some cannot even bother with a nitrogen charge to keep the shock more stable as it works. I mean it's like running a car without a radiator cap, that pressure helps keep the oil from foaming when run hard.

It's not that those other shocks can't generate enough rebound force to damp springs, it's how they do it. They aren't manipulating how the oil moves through the piston of the shock, but a foot valve that simple lets more or less oil dump the other way. It's the difference between metering the water over a dam, or opening the spillway.

And here's the rub with that. You can get cheaply designed adjustable shocks to be stiff, or soft, or something in the middle. What you cannot do is get them to give you adequate rebound at the low speed side of things (piston speed, not care speed) without a lot of it at the high speed side. They are very linear, and that is an issue with me.

There isn't much in this world that you get really really good for a bargain price. Someone said it earlier, you can do Vikings for Koni-ish money. Well there is a reason for that, Vikings are not at the same level of things.

Ask pretty much anyone who's run shocks like QA1 and Viking vs. Koni or Ridetech/Fox, or even beyond like KW, or further like MCS and I defy you to find 1 in 100 that thinks the lesser shocks do the same job just as well. Sure not everyone loves the same thing, but it's RARE, very RARE that folks hate the Koni's and usually the issue comes back to something else. Which is why you see so many folks saying "wow" when they run those vs. something else. Koni's are NOT $4k race shocks, they are street shocks. They happen to offer a damping curve that I like and works exceedingly well and has won me a lot of stuff. I currently have Koni's on my Z06 and Ridetechs on my FRC... and I had $4k shocks last year, which I sold because..... they worked great, but not really any better except over certain bumps which are a non-issue for me but for 1% of the time when I'm on the street.

I've been working with another company on shocks they want to market, and they have been working with various companies including Viking and AFCO. Let me tell you getting a valving to where we want it, not been easy even after multiple tries. That's how far off the normal stuff it.

Remember that "handling" is subjective too. Lots of kids with Slammed Honda's that jitter and skip all over will tell you their cars "handle" great too.

And full disclosure. I can sell QA1 and Viking too. I dont' have them on the website because I don't believe in them. But if you want to run them and you're sure, I'd be happy to quote you some... just so you understand that I'm not telling you this because I can't supply them. That's not the issue at all.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-17-2015, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

...and it looks like I did learn something. Thanks guys. Seriously.

A few years ago, I joined this site after installing my first LS1. I found out the prevailing wisdom at that time (and still somewhat remaining) was that LS-whatevers wouldn't fit into a second gen with a C5 batwing oil pan. LOTS of people said it wouldn't fit, would hit stuff, exhaust wouldn't clear... you name it.

I read all this knowing I'd *just* done this supposedly impossible task, with zero fitment issues or frame cutting. Sooo, I wondered if there was a similar "because everyone says so" group wisdom thing going on with QA1/Viking shocks. The short answer is, they have their place, but not really on a car you wish to be a consistent performer.

Quick Reply: QA1 Shocks vs. the world