Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lateral shimmy driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lateral shimmy driving me nuts

Been trying to track this down for a while now. It feels like the body of the car is moving and the wheels aren't, it's not changing direction at all.
Feels similar to wind pushing it left/right but it's just a shimmy not a constant push because it's road related.
Checked everything I could think of all suspension components aside from removing the shocks and springs to individually test.
Car is V1 (2006) CTS-V but just wondering if anyone has had similar 'shimmy' problems. It's definitely related to spots in the road where the road isn't perfectly flat, however in other cars driving over the same spot it's barely noticable (only if i'm looking for it).

Drives me crazy going down the highway because it kick in that guy feeling that the rear is about to kick out for 1/8th of a second but it's not moving

Used pry bar on all suspension parts, checked all the bolts, checked alignment. Even changed two tires that were worn.
If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

THanks!
Old 07-18-2015, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like it might be tracking, i.e., following the worn in tire grooves in the roadway. I have this in my camaro on certain roadways, but not all the time. I think I've read somewhere that the wider your tires, the more likely this is to happen.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

likewise it sounds like its tracking in the grooves of the road...

my camaro does this alot and it does make you feel weird but I got used to it
Old 07-20-2015, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Yeah I know what that feels like but this isn't it..
And I still have the same tires on there, so it wasn't doing it before.
My guess is either a bad shock (but bouncing them doesn't show anything amiss), or something with the steering rack.

Feels like someone is jumping on the door ledge randomly while I'm driving, lol.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

What rear tires?

I had MT DR IIs do this. Swapped on my R888s and 0 movement. I mean it moved a lot even with 40 psi in them.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:37 PM
Teching In

I actually got two new hanook rear tires and nothing changed.
I think it's the steering rack now..
The feel is like it's following the grooves in the road, but amplified 3-4 times which it shouldn't do and that's why I'm thinking something is loose in the steering but while it's on the lift everything feels tight. Maybe only when it's under pressure from the speed.
Going to take the rack apart if I get time and check it, have to find out what this is! haha
Old 07-21-2015, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That actually sounds kinda scary, almost like loosing control of the car. Do you have lots of steering wheel play when this is happening?
Old 07-21-2015, 11:53 PM
Teching In

No not really that's the weird part.. usually following ruts in the road turns the wheel also but it's not doing that.. there is a very small amount of play in the wheel and I"m wondering if that's causing it,but it isn't anything noticable from looking under the car
Old 07-22-2015, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't know if you've tried this yet - lift one front wheel off the ground, grab each side of the tire and try to move while someone is looking at tie rod ends to see if there is play. Then do other side. I remember this being a problem for me and had to replace them, and you're experiences reminded me of the issues I had. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Pretty sure it was the steering rack, replaced it but haven't driven it more than 50 mph. I'll be gone for a while so no time to test it but it feels much better

Quick Reply: Lateral shimmy driving me nuts